How would you grade the hiring of Matt Rhule so far?

Grading Rhule (so far)  

67 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So Huskerboard I just wanted to know what grade would you give Nebraska for the hiring of Matt Rhule so far.  That includes how excited you are for the hire and everything else since he took over.  For me I gave it a B - when he first got hired bc I felt there were better suited candidates but at the same time realizing that he brought Baylor back from the dead.  When he took over and started recruiting Nebraska class which was ranked in the 60's on the 247 website I believe and when the early signing period ended he had gotten it down to 25 which speaks on how hard him and his staff have worked.  After it's all said and done I give him a B + or A -.  I feel him and his staff have done a outstanding job of bringing in guys they want.  Yes their are question marks about the staff hires but feel Matt Rhule has brought in who he thought could change our fortune just feel like recruits and Husker Nation have to see results on the field to make the grading of him higher.  Also the buzz around here has been good but no where close to the buzz that SF had when he got hired.  Yes I know he was a former player and we all wanted it to work.  Don't know if we are all gutted from him that it didn't and now we are not putting all our eggs into the basket with Matt Rhule quiet yet.

• Haha 1

Ruhle to me is the ideal candidate that I was hoping Nebraska would hire so it gets an 'A+' from me and will continue to be an 'A+' until at least the end of the 2nd year.  I think next year will be painful but we've sat through some objectively horrible seasons the past few years so what is one more?

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, funhusker said:

He's 0-0.

If I was forced to give him a grade (I don't think it's fair though), I'd have to give him a 0%.

Man, his parents are going to complain!!!

Me doing semester grades...

"Ugggg, this kid is gonna be a total complainer..."  C+ magically becomes a B-

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2
  • TBH 1

I'd say an A-.... A+ for how he's handled himself, A+ for trev landing him and A+ for Rhule's recruiting efforts in a short time frame.

The only thing I'd knock him on, and obviously the jury is still out because if we win it doesnt matter, is the staff.  One of my biggest gripes with frosty was him brining essentially his whole staff from UCF with him, many were simply under-qualified for the job given their history and track record.  When Trev mentioned Rhule would be given a pretty sizable pool for assistants, I was expecting some major hires.  Perhaps some of that money was bucketed for Mickey and a pay raise for retaining him that obviously was not needed.  Hopefully it doesnt matter and we rack up wins but to avoid being a hypocrite, some of the things rhule has done staff was the same s#!t i was b!^@hing about with frosty... 

• Plus1 4

With Frost, we were excited because his last year at UCF he had a perfect record. But very few of us were concerned and ignored his transition from a Group of Five team to a Big 10 one. Personally if the rumors are true, alcoholism and his domestic situation may had played a big factor in his demise. And he may had lacked a Big 10 mentality in coaching and recruiting. If it is true he was drunk the night before the NW, he may had already given up. 

Rhule at first I felt like a lot of other fans where he was not my first choice. But after hearing is approach about being the best and the toughest in the trenches, in addition to relentless recruiting, I changed my grade me from a B- to an A. I feel like he is much better prepared for the Big 10 than Frost. I think in the worst case scenario, his win and loss records will be similar to teams like Iowa or Pelini’s. But I could be wrong and he flops like Frost, Riley and Callahan. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Pedro G said:

With Frost, we were excited because his last year at UCF he had a perfect record. But very few of us were concerned and ignored his transition from a Group of Five team to a Big 10 one. Personally if the rumors are true, alcoholism and his domestic situation may had played a big factor in his demise. And he may had lacked a Big 10 mentality in coaching and recruiting. If it is true he was drunk the night before the NW, he may had already given up. 

Rhule at first I felt like a lot of other fans where he was not my first choice. But after hearing is approach about being the best and the toughest in the trenches, in addition to relentless recruiting, I changed my grade me from a B- to an A. I feel like he is much better prepared for the Big 10 than Frost. I think in the worst case scenario, his win and loss records will be similar to teams like Iowa or Pelini’s. But I could be wrong and he flops like Frost, Riley and Callahan. 

Since you gave him a A do you have any concerns that his staff is to inexperienced to handle the big stage??  I know certain Huskerboard members aren't happy about the staff he has added.  For me Im staying positive until proven otherwise.  Just have to hope that we improve on the field and the coaches that he put in place can handle the responsibility's of improving the team.

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I want to know why Rhule wasn't named the new head coach until after the end of the season when he was fired in October, and he could have been been doing so much work for NU the last half of October and all of November!  :D

Great question!!!  I think it had alot to due with Nebraska wanting to be 100% sure he was their guy and also I think it had alot to do with the contract he had with the Panthers.  Originally Nebraska wanted him but then contract talks fell through and then Nebraska came back so that's why it took so long in my book.

23 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Great question!!!  I think it had alot to due with Nebraska wanting to be 100% sure he was their guy and also I think it had alot to do with the contract he had with the Panthers.  Originally Nebraska wanted him but then contract talks fell through and then Nebraska came back so that's why it took so long in my book.

To be honest.  I was joking.  The timeline of Rhule's hire was nearly exactly what I expected when Frost was fired.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1