How would you grade the hiring of Matt Rhule so far?

Grading Rhule (so far)  

67 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Ehhhh if your QB is casually jogging into the endzone, following 2 lead blockers who don't even need to block anyone, then that has basically nothing to do with superior athletic ability and everything to do with the defensive scheme being exploited.

Sure.  But, there were a hell of a lot of plays where the WR/TE was very well covered and simply was able to make a play because they were better players.  That didn't have anything to do with scheme.  The defender was in good position and all over the offensive player.

19 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Ehhhh if your QB is casually jogging into the endzone, following 2 lead blockers who don't even need to block anyone, then that has basically nothing to do with superior athletic ability and everything to do with the defensive scheme being exploited.

Georgia did that to a variety of schemes all year en route to a 15-0 record. They scored an average of 41 points per game. 

If the 3-3-5 is a problem, which scheme is the solution?

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 3

On 1/9/2023 at 2:49 PM, BigRedBuster said:

What?  We were sitting with the #60 class in the country when Rhule took over and now we are sitting with the #25 class and they are at #44.  Why the hell would Deion be the "standard for an A"?

The Deion worshiping that some people are doing is getting ridiculous.  

I don't know about "standard for an A" and "Deion worshipping" is a deflection or a lack of knowing what he's doing at Colorado.

There is a coaching search thread that I believe was 700 or 800 pages.  It has many opinions of what is needed in this era of college football which includes the transfer portal

Two primary things were a splash head coach who is an ace recruiter and experienced, qualified assistant coaches.

I figures Sanders would do just fine with the portal....and he is.  But the connections he brought in as assistant coaches and analysts is very impressive.

• TBH 1
4 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Deion is doing fine in the portal because he brought guys with him from JSU, one of which is his son.  Credit him for getting Hunter to JSU in the first place but other than that there isn't much there.

A two-star from Fresno State

A two-star from JSU

A mid-three-star from Missouri State

A no-star from JSU

A low-three-star from Louisville

A low-three-star from JSU

A mid-three-star from West Virginia

A mid-three-star from Clemson

A high-three-star from Arkansas

A high-three-star from Kent State

A mid-three-star from Western Michigan

A mid-three-star from South Florida

A mid-three-star from Dartmouth

He is mainly doing well in the portal rankings because he has taken over twice as many transfers as most anyone else.  If the above list was our transfer list, people would be incredibly underwhelmed.

According to 247's system, Colorado has 71.41 transfer points on 20 commits, which averages to 3.57 per commit.  Nebraska has 37.28 points on 8 commits, which is 4.66 per commit.  That's not a perfect comparison but it illustrates that a lot of the high ranking is due to quantity, not necessarily quality.

I agree that the ranking has a lot to do with quantity.  That's why I said he's doing "just fine" in the portal Mav.

Assistant coaching hires are more my frustration which I thought I made the point of in my post.  Sanders is adding Zimmer and Taggart as analysts.

A big deal was made of our assistant coaching salary pool and some of the hires are head scratching.

Several posters and SSO have said "we'll see" which is obviously all we can do.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, TheSker said:

I agree that the ranking has a lot to do with quantity.  That's why I said he's doing "just fine" in the portal Mav.

Assistant coaching hires are more my frustration which I thought I made the point of in my post.  Sanders is adding Zimmer and Taggart as analysts.

A big deal was made of our assistant coaching salary pool and some of the hires are head scratching.

It's obvious that Rhule and Deion are going on 2 different paths when it comes to his assistant coaches staff.  Rhule went with guys that he knows are going to be in lock-step with him, while Deion is going with the "All-Star" assistant coaching staff.  I don't know which approach is going to work better.   I think big names can make Deion's coaching staff seem better, but will Deion get them to all work in the same direction?  That's easier said than done.

• Haha 1
  • TBH 3

22 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Deion is doing fine in the portal because he brought guys with him from JSU, one of which is his son.  Credit him for getting Hunter to JSU in the first place but other than that there isn't much there.

A two-star from Fresno State

A two-star from JSU

A mid-three-star from Missouri State

A no-star from JSU

A low-three-star from Louisville

A mid-three-star from West Virginia

A mid-three-star from Clemson

A high-three-star from Arkansas

A high-three-star from Kent State

A mid-three-star from Western Michigan

A mid-three-star from South Florida

A mid-three-star from Dartmouth

He is mainly doing well in the portal rankings because he has taken over twice as many transfers as most anyone else.  If the above list was our transfer list, people would be incredibly underwhelmed.

According to 247's system, Colorado has 71.41 transfer points on 20 commits, which averages to 3.57 per commit.  Nebraska has 37.28 points on 8 commits, which is 4.66 per commit.  That's not a perfect comparison but it illustrates that a lot of the high ranking is due to quantity, not necessarily quality.

Relying too heavily on the transfer portal isn't a good long term strategy. There's something to be said for cohesion. I'd be interesting to determine what the average remaining eligibility is. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1
23 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It's obvious that Rhule and Deion are going on 2 different paths when it comes to his assistant coaches staff.  Rhule went with guys that he knows are going to be in lock-step with him, while Deion is going with the "All-Star" assistant coaching staff.  I don't know which approach is going to work better.   I think big names can make Deion's coaching staff seem better, but will Deion get them to all work in the same direction?  That's easier said than done.

Which method have we been begging for the past 2-5 years?

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Which method have we been begging for the past 2-5 years?

Fans have been begging for the "All-Star" coaching staff because that's what fans think NU needed.  NU fans think that is the "right method" because of the failures under Frost.  Frost's staff wasn't successful because Frost was a terrible leader.  I wouldn't be surprised if his staff ended up having success in their future jobs.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
57 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Sure, He’s doing fine. Rhule is doing fine.  Many coaches are doing fine. 

But proclaiming that he’s doing so great that he’s now the Standard A that now everyone is struggling to keep up with is…..just not based on anything but hype.  

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 2