How would you grade the hiring of Matt Rhule so far?

Grading Rhule (so far)  

67 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, M.A. said:

Relying too heavily on the transfer portal isn't a good long term strategy. There's something to be said for cohesion. I'd be interesting to determine what the average remaining eligibility is. 

Could be a great plan if Deion is planning to bounce as soon as he gets a better offer.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 3

2 hours ago, Nebhawk said:

Time will tell.  Rhule has to recruit better than anyone else since T.O. in order to get things going again.  Recruit and develop. 

I thought for his first recruiting cycle him and his staff did pretty well considering that he didn't even have a full staff in place.  Raiola has to step it up as a o-line coach.  His recruiting has been pretty underwhelming and his developing has to improve in order for the offense to succeed.  You can have the best players and play calling in the world and if you dont have a o-line that can block then we get qb's injured.  

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It's obvious that Rhule and Deion are going on 2 different paths when it comes to his assistant coaches staff.  Rhule went with guys that he knows are going to be in lock-step with him, while Deion is going with the "All-Star" assistant coaching staff.  I don't know which approach is going to work better.   I think big names can make Deion's coaching staff seem better, but will Deion get them to all work in the same direction?  That's easier said than done.

Hiring good coaches is generally the better approach.

Hiring your buddy's son can work, but it's a long shot.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 1
33 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Hiring good coaches is generally the better approach.

Hiring the guy who's the son of a buddy of yours can work, but it's a long shot.

What about hiring coaches that never been in that position before?  Meaning no experience being a power 5 position coach at a prestige University.  Wonder how long that will take.  Also Nebraska tends to not hire good position coaches......:dunno

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

What about hiring coaches that never been in that position before?  Meaning no experience being a power 5 position coach at a prestige University.  Wonder how long that will take.  Also Nebraska tends to not hire good position coaches......:dunno

We did it last year with our OL position coach and it nearly got Casey Thompson killed.  :dunno

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

We did it last year with our OL position coach and it nearly got Casey Thompson killed.  :dunno

You can blame a fair amount of that (not all) on the coach on the staff with 40+ years experience. It is not a coincidence that Rhule and Satterfield have talked about how having coached OL changes how guys call plays - the OL should be put in better positions this year. 

16 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

You can blame a fair amount of that (not all) on the coach on the staff with 40+ years experience. It is not a coincidence that Rhule and Satterfield have talked about how having coached OL changes how guys call plays - the OL should be put in better positions this year. 

Yes.  The play calling drastically affects the O line being successful.  It's been a problem at Nebraska.  It's one area that I actually thought Frost did a good job.  His run plays were well designed and gave the line a chance to be successful.  When we switched to Whipple, it went back to much less creativity...which hurts the O line.  

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
12 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yes.  The play calling drastically affects the O line being successful.  It's been a problem at Nebraska.  It's one area that I actually thought Frost did a good job.  His run plays were well designed and gave the line a chance to be successful.  When we switched to Whipple, it went back to much less creativity...which hurts the O line.  

Utilizing the QB in the run game will automatically make the o-line look better.  When the QB isn't used in the run game, it gives the defense a man advantage against the offense.

Sam McKewon also mentioned that he didn't like how Whipple would put 2 tackles on the same side of the o-line, creating an overload.  It worked sometimes, but it also created confusion in pass blocking and led to easy sacks.

From his comments last week, Satterfield was the coach who wanted Raiola retained.  I hope that Satterfiled and Raiola are able to work together to make the o-line more effective.

7 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Utilizing the QB in the run game will automatically make the o-line look better.  When the QB isn't used in the run game, it gives the defense a man advantage against the offense.

Sam McKewon also mentioned that he didn't like how Whipple would put 2 tackles on the same side of the o-line, creating an overload.  It worked sometimes, but it also created confusion in pass blocking and led to easy sacks.

From his comments last week, Satterfield was the coach who wanted Raiola retained.  I hope that Satterfiled and Raiola are able to work together to make the o-line more effective.

Yes.

The more I see ex players and people around the program support keeping Raiola, the more I'm fine with it.  He was given a s#!t show of a line.  The offense didn't help the line at all.  It takes time to develop a good line.

Now, I do wish he would be better at recruiting than he seems to have been.  But, if he can improve the line with the guys he has, the recruiting will pick up.

• Plus1 1
On 1/11/2023 at 9:10 AM, Husker in WI said:

I watched a lot of the Pitt film when he was hired.  I didn't notice anything about his system that inherently put the QB in an abnormal amount of danger.   In fact the QB faired quite well.

I think the simpler explanation is the offensive line was bad.  Like, really bad.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 2