WR Gatlin Bair [Oregon - Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

26 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Bair commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

6 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I’m assuming this is in college. I was wanting a comparison in the 100 in high school. 

Tried to find some high school times but didn't have much luck.  It doesn't help that he was at three different high schools.  But I can't find anything about competing in track, but you think he would have.

48 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Tried to find some high school times but didn't have much luck.  It doesn't help that he was at three different high schools.  But I can't find anything about competing in track, but you think he would have.

I would be shocked if he didn't compete in track.  I remember a couple comments towards the end of his playing time at Nebraska where he thought about trying out for the olympics in sprints.  But...injuries kept him from it.

15 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I would be shocked if he didn't compete in track.  I remember a couple comments towards the end of his playing time at Nebraska where he thought about trying out for the olympics in sprints.  But...injuries kept him from it.

The track records (or any HS records to be honest) are hard to find going back to the mid/late 2000s. I would hazard a guess he wasn't hitting 10.15 though, that's the kind of number that would have been talked about. I don't trust that these are complete records, but ESPN has the CA high school 100m record at 10.25, no Martinez on the list. Riley Washington is at 10.3.

Ahtletic.net is decent for the past few years, but a bit sketchier on historical results. I think it does have major state competitions though, and that has Jahvid Best's wind-aided 10.31 in 2007 (click over to 'Men's Top Athletes) as the fastest during Martinez's high school years. They do have a profile for Martinez but it only has a freshman year 12.91, which he obviously would have improved on.

Like Mavric said he may not have competed though and just known he was fast enough to do it if he wanted to, or quite possibly he was really fast but not record-breaking. At least using the 100m as a measuring stick, I don't doubt Bair is faster.

• Haha 1
18 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Bair has a 10 top all time mark.  10.15 is elite in track.  Only few people have ever run faster…EVER.

Crouch had ridiculous speed and ran a 10.8.  I had a teammate that ran a 11.00 that had a legit (backed up) 4.45 40.  This is a pointless discussion.

What’s a pointless discussion?  Me asking how he compares to Tmart?  Why is that?  I know this guy is crazy fast. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

I am going to get killed for this but here we go. This is a very overrated prospect. His track prowess does not carry over. He can only play in a straight line and he doesn't demonstrate burning ability in that. He lacks suddenness which is much more important. Fast guys on the field have spring like ability. He runs choppy and takes too long to get going. He has good size and could eventually develop into a good receiver but it won't be because of his track times. 

Considering that he's a two year to wait, I wouldn't even bother. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 4
3 hours ago, Vince R. said:

I am going to get killed for this but here we go. This is a very overrated prospect. His track prowess does not carry over. He can only play in a straight line and he doesn't demonstrate burning ability in that. He lacks suddenness which is much more important. Fast guys on the field have spring like ability. He runs choppy and takes too long to get going. He has good size and could eventually develop into a good receiver but it won't be because of his track times. 

I'm with you.  He'll end up signing with BYU or Utah anyway 

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Vince R. said:

Even if you’re right, you still take a shot at a guy that is 6’2” and runs a 10.15 100m.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 4
4 hours ago, Vince R. said:

Feel like this is one of those posts someone digs up a few years later and goes wow bet this guy wishes he never posted that 

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 2
9 hours ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Even if you’re right, you still take a shot at a guy that is 6’2” and runs a 10.15 100m.

And has nearly a 42" vertical. There was a twitter post I think early on in this post that showed him in the gym and he had placed a pool noodle on the rim of a basketball hoop. He then took a running jump and touched it with the top of his head. He may not be an every down receiver but if we have a Qb who can place a deep ball he would be a match up nightmare or would draw double coverage and open up the underneath routes. If I remember correctly Trey Palmer had a reputation not running clean routes and not having great hands. When our O line gave Casey T enough time to throw and give Trey enough time to get open it worked out ok more than once.

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to WR Gatlin Bair [Oregon - Signed LOI]
  • Mavric changed the title to WR Gatlin Bair [Oregon Commit]