WR Gatlin Bair [Oregon - Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

26 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Bair commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

16 hours ago, Vince R. said:

I am going to get killed for this but here we go. This is a very overrated prospect. His track prowess does not carry over. He can only play in a straight line and he doesn't demonstrate burning ability in that. He lacks suddenness which is much more important. Fast guys on the field have spring like ability. He runs choppy and takes too long to get going. He has good size and could eventually develop into a good receiver but it won't be because of his track times. 

Considering that he's a two year to wait, I wouldn't even bother. 

Did you actually watch his football film? He absolutely smoked secondaries regularly, was wide open and if it was a contested ball the defender didn’t stand a chance. 

I get it, down play him so if he does go somewhere else it won’t sting as bad, but like someone else said your take probably won’t age well. 

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, Scofrosghost said:

Did you actually watch his football film? He absolutely smoked secondaries regularly, was wide open and if it was a contested ball the defender didn’t stand a chance. 

I get it, down play him so if he does go somewhere else it won’t sting as bad, but like someone else said your take probably won’t age well. 

I'm pretty sure @Vince R.is a coach so....yeah I think he's watched his film.

And...given his speed, I sure as heck hope he would be able to roast secondaries given that he plays in the football hotbed known as Idaho.

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
59 minutes ago, Scofrosghost said:

Anyone who is D1 caliber better be doing that in smaller town Idaho HS football.  Not all competition is created equally.  Not everyone translates to the next level either, so declaring one way or the other is folly.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, TonyStalloni said:

And has nearly a 42" vertical. There was a twitter post I think early on in this post that showed him in the gym and he had placed a pool noodle on the rim of a basketball hoop. He then took a running jump and touched it with the top of his head. He may not be an every down receiver but if we have a Qb who can place a deep ball he would be a match up nightmare or would draw double coverage and open up the underneath routes. If I remember correctly Trey Palmer had a reputation not running clean routes and not having great hands. When our O line gave Casey T enough time to throw and give Trey enough time to get open it worked out ok more than once.

I’m in the camp that believes track speed is different, but this guy is so elite I don’t think it’s much of risk.

I do believe a guy that runs a legit 4.4-4.5 and is an elite route runner is better in the long run, but it doesn’t matter.

Also, what if he can on special teams or even ended up being on defense.  Take the best athletes available and figure it out later.  42” vert is stone cold crazy.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

I'm pretty sure @Vince R.is a coach so....yeah I think he's watched his film.

And...given his speed, I sure as heck hope he would be able to roast secondaries given that he plays in the football hotbed known as Idaho.

Just because his competition wasn’t the strongest doesn’t mean he isn’t a freak athlete and isn’t worth the bother…

2 hours ago, runningblind said:

Anyone who is D1 caliber better be doing that in smaller town Idaho HS football.  Not all competition is created equally.  Not everyone translates to the next level either, so declaring one way or the other is folly.

Sure you could say that about every player coming out of high school. I just disagree that he isn’t worth it because the poster doesn’t like his mechanics. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/2/2023 at 7:14 PM, Decked said:

Feel like this is one of those posts someone digs up a few years later and goes wow bet this guy wishes he never posted that 

There's always that possibility. I won't be mad if I am wrong. I genuinely want these kids to be successful no matter what. With that said, I just don't see it. 

• Plus1 1
On 6/3/2023 at 7:08 AM, Scofrosghost said:

I did and one of the parts I hated the most are his spin moves on punt returns. That will get him killed in a Nebraska practice against the third team. 

9 hours ago, Vince R. said:

I did and one of the parts I hated the most are his spin moves on punt returns. That will get him killed in a Nebraska practice against the third team. 

The spin move looked a little 90's video game ish I have to admit.  I found it more concerning that he didn't appear to get as much separation as I'd expect from a sprinter at his level.  You can certainly see when he hits another gear on the long runs.

That being said, I'd still take a chance.

On 6/2/2023 at 4:19 PM, Vince R. said:

I am going to get killed for this but here we go. This is a very overrated prospect. His track prowess does not carry over. He can only play in a straight line and he doesn't demonstrate burning ability in that. He lacks suddenness which is much more important. Fast guys on the field have spring like ability. He runs choppy and takes too long to get going. He has good size and could eventually develop into a good receiver but it won't be because of his track times. 

Considering that he's a two year to wait, I wouldn't even bother. 

I totally get where you're coming from, that he's more of a glider than that explosive change of direction like Tyreek Hill. Honestly, he reminds me a lot of Cordarrelle Patterson in the way that he plays the game but Bair is faster. Right now, he is so athletically superior to everybody on the field that often he just gets open and then has to wait on the ball. It's tough to be crisp when you're worrying about the ball being on target and don't have consistent velocity. He'll be able to be a pure split end/kick returner in college and he'll get schemed into advantageous one-on-ones.

I think a Devon Allen  or Anthony Schwartz like career is reasonable and would be a disappointment relative to a top 50 player. But that wouldn't be a wasted offer by any means.

On 6/5/2023 at 12:42 AM, Vince R. said:

1 hour ago, Scofrosghost said:

Fair enough, but that can be coached up no? 

Yeah, the coach tells you not to spin again and you don’t do it. You don’t pass on a kid whose “mortal mistake” can be fixed in a few seconds.

• Fire 1

He just wouldn't be the first track guy to not have the football skills/instincts to make it happen. I wouldn't go so far as to not recruit him, but regardless of where he ends up I'd be more surprised if he does turn into a really good player than if he doesn't. Just so many questions with the mission as well - he is not going to come out of it more polished as a player, and developing a raw 20-year old is more difficult than a raw 18-year old.

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to WR Gatlin Bair [Oregon - Signed LOI]
  • Mavric changed the title to WR Gatlin Bair [Oregon Commit]