LB M.J. Sherman -> Nebraska

Mavric

2 hours ago, swmohusker said:

Portal kids are a lot less risky than JUCO players, and teams have leaned on them to fill rosters for years. 

I certainly agree portal players should be and usually are more effective than junior college kids. Of the fifteen portal players we took last year for this season plus the one juco player, six started every game (two were kickers) and one played about 35% of every game. Of the next five, one saw limited action as sub to let starters rest a series and three were very limited action. Of the next five only Tommi Hill saw action for 3 or 4 early games then was strictly a kick off returner who usually watched the ball go into the end zone. A couple may have been on special teams.  I'm not sure how other team's portal rates fared.

7 minutes ago, TonyStalloni said:

I certainly agree portal players should be and usually are more effective than junior college kids. Of the fifteen portal players we took last year for this season plus the one juco player, six started every game (two were kickers) and one played about 35% of every game. Of the next five, one saw limited action as sub to let starters rest a series and three were very limited action. Of the next five only Tommi Hill saw action for 3 or 4 early games then was strictly a kick off returner who usually watched the ball go into the end zone. A couple may have been on special teams.  I'm not sure how other team's portal rates fared.

Still not a bad percentage. We probably don’t win a game without Palmer and Thompson. Pretty important. 

• Plus1 1

Yes, portal helped NU mostly because we had recruited and retained and developed so poorly for years.  Many recruits were rated better than the played, if they even saw the field. 

But, frankly, we should have had players as good or better than 80% of the transfer ins we got already. 

I really suspect our recruiting research and evaluations were very amateur and lacked depth and so on. It seems like we were just following the stars/ratings in place of our own searches.   They have dozens of people in addition to the coaches themselves to help in campus but the coaches should be watching film and going to games and traveling constantly. 

These guys are paid huge money, well beyond their non-football market values, in some cases, to work 70 hrs a week year around. When they slack off, they get swept away by the competition.  

Rhule &Co seem to have the right ideas. I am guessing they’ve done more recruiting activities in 45 days than prior bunch did in a year.  Will it pay off ?   Who knows - only time will tell. But the effort and planning is clearly well thought out.  Rhule is building a recruiting ‘grapevine’ aka pipeline into schools in multiple player rich areas. This is, imo, how you really find the recruiting gems and even when the recruiting services’ report a player, HC and his trusted aides must find their own data and recruit the person/family as much as his fb highlights.  I’d be more interested in the “lowlights” as the highs.  And the grades, academics, character, motivations, contacts etc. 

• Mavric changed the title to LB M.J. Sherman -> Nebraska
  • Mavric pinned this topic
  • Mavric unpinned this topic