More Dominant: 21-22 Georgia or 94-95 Nebraska?

Mavric

Domination  

54 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 1/19/2023 at 9:01 AM, TGHusker said:

Agreed. 95 the most dominate but 94 must be the most determined.  After losing to FSU the year before, the stadium clock was used as a reminder for them to Finish Business - with that .01 second on the clock.  94 they go through all of Tommie's and Brook's injuries and Thurman coming in to beat Kansas State.  The struggle was an all season affair - and then the Orange Bowl where Miami looked for a knockout punch that never came.  Tommie and Brook taking turns at QB and then the 'glorious' 4th quarter where it all came down to this (and it still gives me goosebumps):  

Man...the 4th quarter of that Orange Bowl...The drama. The backstory. The monkeys on backs. Those cocky Miami muckerfuthers. The blood, sweat, and tears. And then the win. There is simply nothing better than that 4th quarter.

• Plus1 3

1 hour ago, Ulty said:

Man...the 4th quarter of that Orange Bowl...The drama. The backstory. The monkeys on backs. Those cocky Miami muckerfuthers. The blood, sweat, and tears. And then the win. There is simply nothing better than that 4th quarter.

Yes as much as I appreciate the power and dominance of the 95 team - they were a thing of beauty ( a beautiful machine that is) to watch and their thrashing of Florida, the 95 Orange Bowl victory over the hated Hurricanes is on the top of my list.   Putting those short videos on HB prompted me to watch the whole 4 quarter and the highlights from the rest of the game.  Osborne was so correct - the more physically prepared Huskers would wear down the canes and take control of the game late.  But boy, there were a couple of times Miami could have put the game out of reach but somehow, someway we prevailed - including that heart stopping moment when Costa overthrew that wide open receiver just after we tied the game in the 4th quarter.   Watching the 95 team is watching power and poetry in motion.  Watching the 94 team is watching the heart of a champion taking back what was lost (stolen by the refs wt the no fumble call and phantom clip in the 94 Orange Bowl vs FSU) by the 93 team.  

• Oh Yeah! 1
35 minutes ago, soup said:

I've kind of always wondered.  If Nebraska beats FSU in 94 OB, do they win the MNC in 94, and are they as dominate in 95?  That loss really fueled the fire, and who knows what may have happened?

I always think that when people say "they were one kick away from a 3 peat!".  That's not how it works as previous years do build into others.   Look at lots of other teams the year after they won and don't have quite the same fire/edge as the year before.  Hard to keep the same level of motivation.

• TBH 1

This makes me again want to compare ‘94 Nebraska to ‘94 Penn State. In the Orange Bowl I believed Nebraska beat the better team, Miami. The Hurricane had a crazy good D. Penn State’s win over Oregon wasn’t so impressive. Penn State had a great offense, but their D was average. I believe N’s D would had stopped Penn State enough in order for N to outscore them. My bias option. 

On 1/20/2023 at 4:27 PM, runningblind said:

I always think that when people say "they were one kick away from a 3 peat!".  That's not how it works as previous years do build into others.   Look at lots of other teams the year after they won and don't have quite the same fire/edge as the year before.  Hard to keep the same level of motivation.

Often true - but those teams from 1993-97 were different than the average bear.  They were pretty self-motivated and hungry.  There were a lot of great players on the 93 team who stirred up the drive for excellence and you see a new crop of leaders rise up on the 94 team.  Let me throw out some last names and you tell me which ones would not have run through a wall for Tom in 94 even if they had won the NC in 93.  The 95 team obviously would not have had a letdown.

Frazier,  Alford, Harris, Muhammad, Phillips, Schlesinger, Stai, Childs, Tormich, Miles, Stewart, Zatechka, Peter, Connealy, Berringer   

My thinking is that this group - starting wt the 93 team were on a whole new higher level than Tom's previous teams - since 1983.   Yes we had some good teams after the scoring explosion - primarily let by QB Steve Taylor but none of them had the fire, motivation and talent that those teams of Tom's last 5 years.  

Let me add some real :koolaid2: here and go full bore homer on you.  One could easily argue, that if half the team didn't get sick prior to the 96 Big 12 Championship game ( I still think Texas paid someone to spike the food -:ahhhhhhhh- why not get conspiratorial since this is just a message board where we can post anything!!)  we could have/should have beaten Texas :hookerhorns in that game and played for the NC even wt that early season loss to Arizona.  So yes, with a break in the FSU game (no bad ref calls) there could have been a path to a streak of 5 in a row.  Skip 1998 as the rebuild year and the1999 team outside of that fumble crossing the goal against :hookerhorns, we could have been looking at 6 NC in 7 years.  The 99 team was arguably one of the better teams to have not won the NC (83 and 82 being the other 2 Nebraska teams that were great teams wtout a NC)

• Oh Yeah! 1