More Dominant: 21-22 Georgia or 94-95 Nebraska?

Mavric

Domination  

54 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. The changes to college football has made it nearly impossible for any team to be able to topple the '95 Huskers as the greatest college football team of all time. Changes to the style of play has moved more toward finesse and exploiting formations and defensive mismatches rather than an impose your will mentality. Changes to the game to make things safer for players has removed much of the physicality of the sport. The idea of "being more physical, hitting harder, and "setting the tone," is now more likely to yield penalty yards for the opposition than create mental advantages for the physical team. Most of all, the transfer portal and NIL, in my mind, almost ensures that no team will be able to build the depth, the maturity, and mentality necessary to unseat the greatest team of all time. 5th year senior linemen, two quarterbacks equally capable to run an offense, a stable of back, each of whom would run for a thousand yards a season if given the opportunity, and receivers that are content with 20 catches a season but a highlight reel of blocks just aren't going to happen. There will be teams that will be dominant (like Bama) there will be teams that are great and go on runs, but if you matched them up position to position there will never be a team that can match the physicality, depth, mentality, and utter dominance of the Huskers in the 90s.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2
  • TBH 2

54 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I admit to being a little surprised that Farrell went with Nebraska.  I figured it would be Georgia.

And I didn't expect a lot of debate on this site.

But the 1994 team wasn't nearly as dominant as the 1995.  Obviously our QB situation had a lot to do with that.  But after a really good start we went through a stretch where we only beat a 6-6 Wyoming team by 10, KSU (who was pretty solid) by 11, an 0-10-1 Iowa State team by 16 and a 6-6 Oklahoma by 10.

To fair though the Georgia team this year really didn't face any team that really felt like a championship team and still had close games. I feel like this year for them was a pretty easy road to win and still they got extremally lucky to barely beat OSU. Them getting that time out in on the fake punt and then not only did they knock out OSUs WR cold, they didnt get a clear targeting or personal foul at least on it to give OSU a chance to take a lead that wins the game. 

I think their teams are flipped from ours where 2021 was their best team and 2022 was more just willing themselves to the title. And in 2021 if they played in a non playoff era they wouldn't even have had a shot. Its pretty nice to be able to basically get two chances to beat a team for the championship and they lose their two best WR(2 1st round NFL WRs) the 2nd time you play. You could tell how bad Alabama's offense fell off this year without their WRs. Clearly not the same team. 

1 hour ago, Born N Bled Red said:

I've said it before, I'll say it again. The changes to college football has made it nearly impossible for any team to be able to topple the '95 Huskers as the greatest college football team of all time. Changes to the style of play has moved more toward finesse and exploiting formations and defensive mismatches rather than an impose your will mentality. Changes to the game to make things safer for players has removed much of the physicality of the sport the idea of "being more physical, hitting harder, and "setting the tone," is now more likely to yield penalty yards for the opposition than create mental advantages for the physical team. Most of all the transfer portal and NIL in my mind almost assures that no team will be able to build the depth, the maturity, and mentality necessary to unseat the greatest team of all time. 5th year senior linemen, two quarterbacks equally capable to run an offense, a stable of back, each of whom would run for a thousand yards a season if given the opportunity, and receivers that are content with 20 catches a season but a highlight reel of blocks just aren't going to happen. There will be teams that will be dominant (like Bama) there will be teams that are great and go on runs, but if you matched them up position to position there will never be a team that can match the physicality, depth, mentality, and utter dominance of the Huskers in the 90s.  

Eh, I think this is a bit of a stretch.  Outside of the husker fan base, and natural bias that applies to any fan base, many would rattle off 01 Miami being on that level and rightfully so.  2019 LSU is getting thrown around a lot, hard to argue against that squad.  

While it might be tough to say which bama squad of Sabans run was the best- your description of "being more physical" and setting the tone 100% applies to the bulk of his teams.  Particularly the late 00s-early 10's squads- BAma was 100% built on nasty lines, deep rb rooms and a suffocating defense.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
8 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

We all know the answer.  This isn't even worth debating bc is not up for debate.  Until undefeated teams beat their opponents by the average of 14 then we can have that debate.

Average of 14?  Nebraska '95 won by an average of almost 40 with the worst being Washington State.  The game was 35-14 until a late score by Wazzu.

No one in recent history has touched that dominance.  '01 Miami had two close calls.  I thought '05 USC was better than '04, and '05 couldn't get past Vince Young.  '19 
LSU couldn't stop a Middle School team, and '20 Bama was a weird COV year where I'm not sure they beat Burrow's '19 squad.

Give me '95 NU.

Fun fact, twice in the 90's the team NU destroyed to win an NC that team went on, they following year, to win the NC ('96 UF, '98 UT).  Nebraska demolished very, very legitimate teams.  

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

Average of 14?  Nebraska '95 won by an average of almost 40 with the worst being Washington State.  The game was 35-14 until a late score by Wazzu.

No one in recent history has touched that dominance.  '01 Miami had two close calls.  I thought '05 USC was better than '04, and '05 couldn't get past Vince Young.  '19 
LSU couldn't stop a Middle School team, and '20 Bama was a weird COV year where I'm not sure they beat Burrow's '19 squad.

Give me '95 NU.

Fun fact, twice in the 90's the team NU destroyed to win an NC that team went on, they following year, to win the NC ('96 UF, '98 UT).  Nebraska demolished very, very legitimate teams.  

The 2001 Miami team was probably more talented than Nebraska, but they weren't a better team. A lot of their players did well in the pro's so people confuse talent level with being the best team. However, they had some big drawbacks versus the 95 Huskers. The most important was coaching, Osborne vs Coker. Also, even with all that talent their QB wasn't great. He played well, but considering the talent level of the 2001 Hurricanes he wasn't that dynamic. I would argue that Miami did not live up to it's talent level, which is why they almost lost two games. The Huskers were very talented too, but we're coached better which is why they blew everyone out.

10 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

We all know the answer.  This isn't even worth debating bc is not up for debate.  Until undefeated teams beat their opponents by the average of 14 then we can have that debate.

That wasn’t the average. The smallest margin in a win was 14 points

12 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

95 yes. 94 no.

Agreed. 95 the most dominate but 94 must be the most determined.  After losing to FSU the year before, the stadium clock was used as a reminder for them to Finish Business - with that .01 second on the clock.  94 they go through all of Tommie's and Brook's injuries and Thurman coming in to beat Kansas State.  The struggle was an all season affair - and then the Orange Bowl where Miami looked for a knockout punch that never came.  Tommie and Brook taking turns at QB and then the 'glorious' 4th quarter where it all came down to this (and it still gives me goosebumps):  

1st TD

• Plus1 3
On 1/18/2023 at 12:17 PM, Sker fer life said:

Yes Nebraska lost to ASU in '96.....................1996.

My first time seeing the Huskers in person. Repping a lot of Husker red in the ASU student section. That game was a bummer, but what an incredible atmosphere. And ASU did go on to being really close to a championship that year, so at least it was a "quality" loss. At least, that's what I kept telling myself.