TE Arik Gilbert -> Nebraska

Mavric

33 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Visited last weekend.

Is in the UNL student directory.

No decision yet but said Nebraska is "in a good spot right now."

3-for-3

Ive been waiting to see if he was going to transfer here bc I think he would be a hugh get for Nebraska.  Yes I know he didn't play at Georgia but he did at LSU and I believe he was a freshman all-american.  Can he take his time deciding or does he need to make a decision quick to enroll in classes?

• Mavric changed the title to TE Arik Gilbert -> Nebraska
  • Mavric pinned this topic

My question regarding Gilbert is, what does he need to succeed? Has he had personal issues or injuries? Was he overhyped as a recruit and needs a reset on ability and expectations? 

He left LSU, then went Georgia stepped away, came back and is now transferring to Nebraska. What hasn’t gone his way that has made all of this happen. Potential is through the roof, but something seems off with this kid. Hopefully he comes here and shines.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
11 minutes ago, AlaSker said:

My question regarding Gilbert is, what does he need to succeed? Has he had personal issues or injuries? Was he overhyped as a recruit and needs a reset on ability and expectations? 

He left LSU, then went Georgia stepped away, came back and is now transferring to Nebraska. What hasn’t gone his way that has made all of this happen. Potential is through the roof, but something seems off with this kid. Hopefully he comes here and shines.

Probably wouldn’t hurt to check expectations here and just be pleasantly surprised if/when he produces. I definitely don’t think it’s a talent issue. Maybe similar to Omar Manning where it’s hard to get him on the field on Saturday if he isn’t doing all the right things during the week, whatever that reason might be. It does sound like several teams reached out to him and decided not to pursue.

I trust coach Rhule though and believe he will have the right structure in place. Sky is the limit if he can get on the field.

9 minutes ago, AlaSker said:

All the potential in the world.  He’s a monster.  However, he’s had some mental and injury problems that have really held him back.  Sounds a bit like Omar manning 2.0 so we’ll have to see if he can get past his issues

1 hour ago, RedSavage said:

All the potential in the world.  He’s a monster.  However, he’s had some mental and injury problems that have really held him back.  Sounds a bit like Omar manning 2.0 so we’ll have to see if he can get past his issues

He’s the highest rated high school recruit we’ve ever had on our team. I know that doesn’t mean much after three years of college. Hopefully this staff doesn’t just develop on the field, but off of it. I think we all see how the last staff lacked in both of those departments. If Rhule and Co. can take immensely talented guys like him and Betts and nurture their heads and hearts, a lot is possible. 

• Plus1 2

He was a freshman all-american at LSU with 35 catches.  His talent isn't the issue.  Seems like he left LSU to be closer to home for whatever reason, maybe that reason is what was causing his mental health issue.  Two years later maybe he is past it and wants a fresh start a little further away.  Like others I will wait to see what happens during the season.  

• Mavric unpinned this topic