TE Arik Gilbert -> Nebraska

Mavric

13 hours ago, Caliborn72 said:

Probably wouldn’t hurt to check expectations here and just be pleasantly surprised if/when he produces.

That's really my attitude towards any transfer.  There's a reason why they weren't happy or playing at their previous spot.  I just hope that a new program and staff is the change they need to shine.  But, the portal is somewhat of a crap shoot on what you get.

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 2

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

That's really my attitude towards any transfer.  There's a reason why they weren't happy or playing at their previous spot.  I just hope that a new program and staff is the change they need to shine.  But, the portal is somewhat of a crap shoot on what you get.

I mean we took a chance with Mathis and alot of people probably wanted more out of him with the expectation that he was going to be all conference caliber player.  I think that the former coaches didn't necessarily put him in the best situation to succeed while he himself is limited as a football player.  One can only hope that these coaches are smarter then the previous staff by putting these transfers in the best position to succeed while the transfers are putting in the work themselves.

7 minutes ago, AZRaiderH8r said:

I am cautiously optimistic about this transfer. Given what has been said here, I think that Coach Rhule and his staff could be the perfect fit for this young man, and hopefully they can maximize on the talent that is clearly there. Great get!

Yeah I couldn't agree more.  Plus every husker fan would take AG over BS the other Georgia te who visited.  It worked out better for us.

Unless Rhule and the staff have a plan to overcome Arik's downside it may be an issue to keep him on the field. Sounds like Georgia was unwilling to look any further for answers to his problem. If this goes off the rails it could hinder some of the momentum Matt R is building. I almost wish we had gotten the other TE from Georgia.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, TonyStalloni said:

Unless Rhule and the staff have a plan to overcome Arik's downside it may be an issue to keep him on the field. Sounds like Georgia was unwilling to look any further for answers to his problem. If this goes off the rails it could hinder some of the momentum Matt R is building. I almost wish we had gotten the other TE from Georgia.

I disagree. Rhule and staff seem to be in charge and aggressive. If he has a clear vision and culture for the program and he enforces it I don’t see a troubled kid disrupting that. Frosts lack of leadership yes I could see it undermining the build 

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I disagree. Rhule and staff seem to be in charge and aggressive. If he has a clear vision and culture for the program and he enforces it I don’t see a troubled kid disrupting that. Frosts lack of leadership yes I could see it undermining the build 

I hope the staff can work their magic. Don't want to go down the Scott Baldwin, Lawrence Phillips, Omar Manning rabbit hole again. Bipolar/manic depression is a hard cross to bear.  Wishing the young man nothing but the best.

17 minutes ago, TonyStalloni said:

I hope the staff can work their magic. Don't want to go down the Scott Baldwin, Lawrence Phillips, Omar Manning rabbit hole again. Bipolar/manic depression is a hard cross to bear.  Wishing the young man nothing but the best.

I don't think it's fair at all to lump those together - the LP and Baldwin rabbit holes and the Omar Manning rabbit hole aren't even in the same universe. Obviously I'd prefer better production, but I'm totally fine if this is Omar Manning again. 100% worth the risk from a football perspective, and it really sounds like the team and resources were helpful for Manning personally. I haven't heard anything that would warrant even mentioning LP or Baldwin here.

• Plus1 4
  • TBH 5

52 minutes ago, Bad2theBONES said:

Callahan just tweeted he was N and now the tweet is no longer there. 

But in his tweet, Callahan says Georgia OL , Gilbert is N. Not sure what he meant, but Gilbert is a TE and has been N for days now. Thinking maybe it was a prelude to Hood being N??

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 1
  • Mavric unpinned this topic