"Making sure that all of the most up-to-date training and recovery modalities are part of our process."

Recommend listening to Bussin' With The Boys podcast that dropped this morning, featuring a long segment with Coach Rhule. (Starts about 45 minutes into the podcast).

Still listening to it, but THIS was a major takeaway, for me:

At 1:25:00
Coach Rhule was asked "Coming to Nebraska, what were some things that you're like 'I'm going to have to address this' - what were some issues to hit head-on?"

With little/no hesitation Rhule responded: 

Making sure that all the most up-to-date Training and Recovery modalities are part of our process.

He went on to list several, including massages and Sensory Deprivation Tanks and said that programs are in two camps on this stuff:

1) They have it and the guys don't USE it

2) They don't have it

I really BELIEVE in this stuff.

He went on to tie these issues to the health of players/team and their ability to win on gameday.

I found this VERY interesting, because I remember (decades and decades ago) when Nebraska was on the cutting edge of player nutrition (then everybody caught up). We talk about "facilities" all of the time, but SPECIFICALLY I would love to know how Nebraska ranks in the area that Rhule identified as one where "I can really help with that process". Sounds to me like Nebraska either didn't even HAVE this stuff or didn't get the players to UTILIZE this stuff. I wonder how we stack up to other Div. 1 (or BigTen) programs in this regard?

If Rhule can come from the NFL and say: This is how they do it in the Big Leagues and Here's Why, I can see that being another possible edge that Nebraska can exploit. And if Rhule & staff are highlighting this to potential recruits - then why would you go anywhere that did NOT have this in place and players know how to benefit themselves by using it?

Three links for any interested:

The Wild Story of How Bill Belichick Discovered the Benefits of Sleep Floatation Tanks

5 Ways NFL Players Recover & How You Can Too

Unique Recovery Methods for Football

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

Prevention and recovery are the fastest growing and maybe most important part of most sports.

Of course, there are 10000000000000 different views on how to prevent and recover.  Even the old "stretch vs don't stretch" pops up every few years.  

I coached with a guy that did not like water breaks.  I had to tell him that 10/10 doctors recommend water.  

• Haha 7
2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Prevention and recovery are the fastest growing and maybe most important part of most sports.

Of course, there are 10000000000000 different views on how to prevent and recover.  Even the old "stretch vs don't stretch" pops up every few years.  

I coached with a guy that did not like water breaks.  I had to tell him that 10/10 doctors recommend water.  

No water breaks? Did he also recommend salt tablets? 

• Haha 5

No water breaks are good old fashioned football.

All during HS water breaks were strictly forbidden during practice. Being in hot, humid KY made things even worse.

After the practice it was a race to the drinking fountain inside the school. Being an OL I was always bringing up the rear so the queue was long and it was another 10-15 minute wait to get a drink. It was normal to loose 5-8 pounds in a 2-2.5 hour practice.

Thankfully things have changed.

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1

Overall podcast with Rhule was a great listen. I got goosebumps several times. This should be a fun ride for the next few years, with some good things happening.

Compton even hit him with the question of a 24 year old WR coach at the end. Matt basically said "who cares? You weren't winning before I got here so let me do my job. I trust him. I think he's smart and has a great future. Judge me in 3 years."

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

13 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Overall podcast with Rhule was a great listen. I got goosebumps several times. This should be a fun ride for the next few years, with some good things happening.

Compton even hit him with the question of a 24 year old WR coach at the end. Matt basically said "who cares? You weren't winning before I got here so let me do my job. I trust him. I think he's smart and has a great future. Judge me in 3 years."

This comment gives a glimpse into a bit of the adjustment that Rhule and his staff will have at NU.  Right or wrong, coaching at NU puts every decision of his under the microscope and it's going to be judged by the fans and media.  It's just how it is.  I liked his answer, but you can see his frustration in the YouTube feed.  If he wins, that will take care of the questions.

• Plus1 2
18 minutes ago, ZRod said:

3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

This comment gives a glimpse into a bit of the adjustment that Rhule and his staff will have at NU.  Right or wrong, coaching at NU puts every decision of his under the microscope and it's going to be judged by the fans and media.  It's just how it is.  I liked his answer, but you can see his frustration in the YouTube feed.  If he wins, that will take care of the questions.

I think you can see by the WR recruiting we've had since he's been named, recruits and players don't see his age as a problem.  So, fans shouldn't either.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 2
1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don't usually watch the YouTube version, so didn't see his expression. I think throughout the podcast he continually acknowledged this place is just different, and everything is under a microscope. I think he's doing his best to embrace it and as he said; it's better that than apathy.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I think you can see by the WR recruiting we've had since he's been named, recruits and players don't see his age as a problem.  So, fans shouldn't either.

Not sure if you listened to it, but Will basically led with "I'm going to keep it PC" but he alluded to him being a 24 year old pale white guy recruiting kids not that much younger from a different background :lol: I'm glad it doesn't seem to matter in recruiting, as it shouldn't. It's about the people, not the appearance.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

6 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I don't usually watch the YouTube version, so didn't see his expression. I think throughout the podcast he continually acknowledged this place is just different, and everything is under a microscope. I think he's doing his best to embrace it and as he said; it's better that than apathy.

Not sure if you listened to it, but Will basically led with "I'm going to keep it PC" but he alluded to him being a 24 year old pale white guy recruiting kids not that much younger from a different background :lol: I'm glad it doesn't seem to matter in recruiting, as it shouldn't. It's about the people, not the appearance.

Coach Rhule was as young when he began coaching as a position coach. He read and carried around coaching books since he was around 12 years old I think. It depends on the person. Like Rhule, McGuire is a couches son. He's learning sure but he has the passion, interest and drive to do well. He'll be focused on improving all the time. Rhule wouldn't entrust Garrett if he didn't think that he'd do well. 

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I listened to it last night, and it was funny how Will was basically saying "I would think college WR's are going to prefer to play for black WR coaches, who have experience in the league."  I don't know how "true" that is, or if it's just perception.  I think most college players (regardless of position) want to work with coaches they can have a good relationship and coaches who can get them to the NFL.

I think the funniest part of that podcast was Compton making references to a "certain QB from Arizona" knowing that Rhule can't mention recruits by name.