Spring Practice Pressers 2023

Mavric

18 hours ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

Why not throw it in every once and a while?

There are several good answers to this question. But this is the biggest one: You only have a set amount of hours you're allowed to practice, so you only have so much time to train your QB. So you wind up sacrificing time that you could be spending increasing your QB's passing ability with practicing these pretty difficult concepts that you're saying you'll ultimately wind up using pretty infrequently in games.

The risk/reward just isn't there.

It would also imply that Sims is the QB. And I think it would be unwise to not leverage as much practice time as possible trying to improve the passing performance of a QB like him.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1

6 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Rhule just said Nash Hutmacher is the most improved player on the team on the B1G Ten Network just now. 

FWIW

I think there’s going to be several kids we hadn’t heard from that’ll all the sudden be present.  I still believe we have talent.  

I wish Nelson would have stayed because I think he would have had a huge year, but I get it.

• TBH 2

I think we would have heard about anything resembling the triple option by now if Rhule was doing it. Considering how open practices are, a coach, a former player, a journalist, someone surely would have mentioned it by now.

Anyway, Rhule talks about the option a little bit in Albert's sit down with TO and MR. Here's a few comments cued up.

https://youtu.be/s02H-d5p-yU?t=277

https://youtu.be/s02H-d5p-yU?t=793

Rhule mentioned the Qb trap, I wonder if he's talking about the play in the Florida game with 5 wides and Tommy up the middle.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
59 minutes ago, Gage County said:

Rhule mentioned the Qb trap, I wonder if he's talking about the play in the Florida game with 5 wides and Tommy up the middle.

I don't understand Rhule's comment there when he says "I've never seen that before." I almost wonder if he's just saying that he'd never personally remembered any Osborne-coached Husker teams running this play.

Because some variation of a QB run play using trap blocking techniques is like, pretty damn common among the current era of spread offenses in college football. Frost specifically ran the play a ton with Martinez (and he called it the 'QB Wrap'). It was kind of like a changeup play he'd run after going outside or going with the pass game; a small shoulder fake by the QB and then a quick sprint right up the middle through the trap block.

Lastly, and I can't even slightly prove this obviously, but if I had to guess I'd say that Rhule's motivation for watching old Husker games was just primarily to:

• Say that he had done it for times just like this, whether it's in interviews or talking to the team or whatever.
  • To legitimately get familiar with the great tradition of success we used to have and who we used to be when we didn't suck.

Tend to doubt he did it at all in order to put those concepts Osborne ran into this year's team. But of course I could be wrong there. 

• Fire 1

9 minutes ago, Undone said:

I don't understand Rhule's comment there when he says "I've never seen that before." I almost wonder if he's just saying that he'd never personally remembered any Osborne-coached Husker teams running this play.

Because some variation of a QB run play using trap blocking techniques is like, pretty damn common among the current era of spread offenses in college football. Frost specifically ran the play a ton with Martinez (and he called it the 'QB Wrap'). It was kind of like a changeup play he'd run after going outside or going with the pass game; a small shoulder fake by the QB and then a quick sprint right up the middle through the trap block.

Lastly, and I can't even slightly prove this obviously, but if I had to guess I'd say that Rhule's motivation for watching old Husker games was just primarily to:

• Say that he had done it for times just like this, whether it's in interviews or talking to the team or whatever.
  • To legitimately get familiar with the great tradition of success we used to have and who we used to be when we didn't suck.

Tend to doubt he did it at all in order to put those concepts Osborne ran into this year's team. But of course I could be wrong there. 

I thought he meant he'd never seen that before Nebraska ran it in the 90s, or hadn't seen it anywhere else from under Center. But yeah, not uncommon today and I don't think he's planning on copying specific concepts. Just pointing out how innovative the offenses were despite being categorized as option offenses - we ran a bunch of QB power/counter out of the shotgun with Frost in '97 that Tim Tebow and Cam Newton rode to championships as well. 

I'm sure we'll see some option, but more the zone read type - he also talk about the rule changes where receivers and FBs can't be chopping guys downfield anymore. Under center triple option can work as a change of pace, but rules like that make it a lot less viable today and it's not going to be a staple. A lot of the big plays on the option were sprung by chop blocks out on the edge.

36 minutes ago, Undone said:

He was speaking from the vantage point of him in the 90's, watching tapes of those teams and seeing things he'd never seen at the time.

12 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I thought he meant he'd never seen that before Nebraska ran it in the 90s, or hadn't seen it anywhere else from under Center.

Good stuff, I think you're right.

1 minute ago, Lorewarn said:

He was speaking from the vantage point of him in the 90's, watching tapes of those teams and seeing things he'd never seen at the time.

Just saw your comment also, thank you.

12 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I'm sure we'll see some option, but more the zone read type...

It'll be interesting to see. In his introductory presser Rhule said "we're not going to be a spread offense." Now I associate 'spread' with your formation - typically talking about how many receivers you have, and specifically how wide you spread them out. Maybe I just made way too much of that comment. It'll be interesting to see if we run much zone read with how much these guys seem to like tight ends.

Personally I think you get the most out of the zone read when you spread teams out. But there's of course so many ways you could run it.

3 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

Rhule just said Nash Hutmacher is the most improved player on the team on the B1G Ten Network just now. 

FWIW

So now he's improved to average?  Just kidding... :)

I would hope that the most improved player was a 3-way tie between Benhart, Cocoran and Farmer.  For the amount of games and years they got as 1st string players, they would be the ideal players to improve for them and this team. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, admo said:

So now he's improved to average?  Just kidding... :)

I would hope that the most improved player was a 3-way tie between Benhart, Cocoran and Farmer.  For the amount of games and years they got as 1st string players, they would be the ideal players to improve for them and this team. 

If those three would drastically improve, it would go one hell of a long ways towards making us a pretty respectable team.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2