Should the NCAA change the FBS scholarship limit?

So Nebraska is sitting at 102 scholarship's for the football team as of rn and potential could add one more but has to get down to 85 scholarship's after spring ball.  So that means 17 kids or 18 are going to have to leave the program and find a new home.  With the way college football's landscape has changed with the transfer portal and nil is the 85 scholarship limit outdated or do you think it should stay where it's at?  Yes I know when a team offers a kid a scholarship they expect something in return for that service but their are numerous factors as to why players don't work out for that particular team.  Is it the players fault if it doesn't work out or the coaches?  You can say sometimes the player and sometimes the coaches.  But if they did add more scholarship's do you think that it would be easier on teams to keep players around and or to add them to teams as transfers as well and kids wouldn't be so called left out to dry bc of the roster crunch limit?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

More kids on scholarship means more kids not playing which leads to more kids transferring.  Adding scholarships isn't the answer

And I get that but what happens to kids that once they hit the transfer portal and can't join a team bc of the scholarship limit then what?? What options do guys have other then dropping down to division 2 if teams are already at the maximum limit after spring??  Walking on to a team or dropping out of the sport all together??? Yes I know getting a scholarship is a privilege and not a right but sometimes its not the kids fault they didnt get the right development to help the team.

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

So Nebraska is sitting at 102 scholarship's for the football team as of rn and potential could add one more but has to get down to 85 scholarship's after spring ball.  So that means 17 kids or 18 are going to have to leave the program and find a new home.  With the way college football's landscape has changed with the transfer portal and nil is the 85 scholarship limit outdated or do you think it should stay where it's at?  Yes I know when a team offers a kid a scholarship they expect something in return for that service but their are numerous factors as to why players don't work out for that particular team.  Is it the players fault if it doesn't work out or the coaches?  You can say sometimes the player and sometimes the coaches.  But if they did add more scholarship's do you think that it would be easier on teams to keep players around and or to add them to teams as transfers as well and kids wouldn't be so called left out to dry bc of the roster crunch limit?

I'm sure all of this would do wonders for Title IX rules and requirements :blink:

• TBH 2
10 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

And I get that but what happens to kids that once they hit the transfer portal and can't join a team bc of the scholarship limit then what?? What options do guys have other then dropping down to division 2 if teams are already at the maximum limit after spring??  Walking on to a team or dropping out of the sport all together??? Yes I know getting a scholarship is a privilege and not a right but sometimes its not the kids fault they didnt get the right development to help the team.

Not to sound overly harsh.  But, that's their problem.   For the vast majority that are in the portal, it was their choice.  Especially, players that go to the portal after maybe a year or two in a program.  They have the choice to stay, work to get better and try to see the field.....or, quit and transfer.  I guess I don't feel an obligation that the NCAA should be the ones that have to figure out where these kids can go to find another scholarship.

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 2
16 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

You put a lot of blame on the coaches for not developing individual players, but the player has a responsibility on developing, too.  Someone has to play.  If a kid gets brought in, and isn't contributing to the team (regardless of reason) in a few seasons, it's reasonable for a coach to suggest to that player that he moves on.  If a player is talented and works hard enough, he will most likely be able to get another D1 offer.  Only the guys who don't belong at D1 level at all are going down to D2.

You bring this up because NU is at over 100 scholarship players headed into spring.  I think this is a 1-year issue where Rhule has inherited an underachieving team and is looking to make improvements.  So, honored the scholarship offers from the previous staff, added a number of offers to kids who weren't previously offered, and has brought in a good number of transfers.  Rhule is doing this because he thinks the roster needs turned over, and that's not a terrible thought given NU's record over the past few years.  Going forward, Rhule and his staff will have a better idea of the talent on the roster every year, it should be easier to manage, and I don't think NU will go into the spring with this many scholarship players.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 2
2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

You put a lot of blame on the coaches for not developing individual players, but the player has a responsibility on developing, too.  Someone has to play.  If a kid gets brought in, and isn't contributing to the team (regardless of reason) in a few seasons, it's reasonable for a coach to suggest to that player that he moves on.  If a player is talented and works hard enough, he will most likely be able to get another D1 offer.  Only the guys who don't belong at D1 level at all are going down to D2.

You bring this up because NU is at over 100 scholarship players headed into spring.  I think this is a 1-year issue where Rhule has inherited an underachieving team and is looking to make improvements.  So, honored the scholarship offers from the previous staff, added a number of offers to kids who weren't previously offered, and has brought in a good number of transfers.  Rhule is doing this because he thinks the roster needs turned over, and that's not a terrible thought given NU's record over the past few years.  Going forward, Rhule and his staff will have a better idea of the talent on the roster every year, it should be easier to manage, and I don't think NU will go into the spring with this many scholarship players.

Agree.

I agree that they probably won't go into spring with this many scholarship players.  There are probably some they still gave scholarships to so they can finish this semester before having it taken away.  Once Spring ball starts, I'm guessing we will hear about certain players not being there.

• Plus1 1

13 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I didnt necessarily put the all the blame on the coaches bc it takes 2 to tango and I just wanted to know about how everyone felt about the 85 scholarship limit.  Its a topic to discuss bc we aren't the only team over the scholarship limit before the spring and their are numerous kids in the transfer portal that haven't found a home yet.  

3 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I didnt necessarily put the all the blame on the coaches bc it takes 2 to tango and I just wanted to know about how everyone felt about the 85 scholarship limit.  Its a topic to discuss bc we aren't the only team over the scholarship limit before the spring and their are numerous kids in the transfer portal that haven't found a home yet.  

This is largely a by-product of the extra year they granted due to COVID.  In a few years when every single student athlete is no longer in college/eligibility remaining then it should return closer to normal.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I think that most kids who enter the transfer portal go in on their own accord, and are not pushed to the portal by their coaches.  Players enter the portal for numerous reasons, but it's usually "player driven".  The competition within the team, the requirements to develop as a player, and balancing school and athletics are what kids sign up for when they agree to become a high-level, college football player.  Division 1 athletics is very competitive, it requires a lot of work for the student-athletes, and it's not always fair.

• TBH 1
6 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

This is largely a by-product of the extra year they granted due to COVID.  In a few years when every single student athlete is no longer in college/eligibility remaining then it should return closer to normal.

This is a great point.  There is a glut of players who haven't exhausted their eligibility due to the COVID year.  This is creating more eligible athletes with fewer available scholarships.  Casey Thompson wouldn't still be at NU if it weren't for that extra year.  Fans wouldn't be getting concerned when a player like Garrett Nelson "leaves early" even though he had 4 years of action on the field.

• Plus1 1

Decisions have consequences.  Sometimes you make good choices. Sometimes not.  95% of D1 players will not play pro fball. 

College football at any level is played by a small % of high school players which is a fraction of guys who would like to play football generally.  
Competition is the free and fair way for players to achieve their goals and dreams. Period. 

I have never thought a limit should be placed on a school for scholarships of any kind. If the school wants to award academic awards to students, the school should be allowed, whether or not that whiz kid wants to play sports too!  

frankly, all divisions should allowed to compete for students and or athletes / students.  It’s fair to all.  

NCAA should not have deprived so many of the opportunities to enjoy college and sports. But the NCAA does what its majority membership wants.  The have less schools wanted less scholarships so they limited it.  Ultimately, the SCOTUS said that’s fundamentally wrong to deny individuals the right to make money.