Should the NCAA change the FBS scholarship limit?

1 hour ago, gossamorharpy said:

This is largely a by-product of the extra year they granted due to COVID.  In a few years when every single student athlete is no longer in college/eligibility remaining then it should return closer to normal.

Yup.  We currently have 13 of "Covid seniors", and we are over the limit by 16 or so.

Adding scholarships, imo, would do nothing.  Scholarships are meaning less and less these days due to NIL.  As this progresses you will see more and more kids remain on teams as walk on players who are getting their tuition paid by NIL instead of a traditional scholarship.  These additional players really make the cap for each team 105.  Preferred walk on has a whole new meaning in today's college football.    

1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

Adding scholarships, imo, would do nothing.  Scholarships are meaning less and less these days due to NIL.  As this progresses you will see more and more kids remain on teams as walk on players who are getting their tuition paid by NIL instead of a traditional scholarship.  These additional players really make the cap for each team 105.  Preferred walk on has a whole new meaning in today's college football.    

Scholarship s are not meaningless because of NIL.  The key driver is there are only 11 spots on the field at one time.

It doesn’t matter if you 85 or 102 scholarships, there’s still 11 spots on the field.  Most people leave because they are 12th spot, not 86th.

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 1

We’ll get down to 85 with no problem. There’s no other choice, we have to.

More scholarships are not the solution unless you really want Bama, tOSU, etc. to stockpile more talent and leave less for everyone else.

Kids are way less prone to wait their turn these days. It’s not like the old days where a player would wait until they were a junior or senior to see a lot of game reps. They can enter the portal and move up, laterally or down as befits them. Nobody owes these kids a scholarship just because they want to play football. Those that are good enough will find one. Those that aren’t, well, welcome to the real world. More schollies is a horrible idea.

• Plus1 4

The players wanted this free portal and NIL. 
it’s always been a business but now the players are businessmen as well. 

if we fans have to deal with guys like Hausman leaving for his opportunity, players need to deal with cuts and whatnot as well. They are now professionals, deal with it 

• Plus1 4

I think it's just a matter of time until the scholarship limit is raised or eliminated, and it'll probably be the latter. The Supreme Court's NCAA v. Alston ruling is gonna make it hard for the NCAA to justify anything that comes between students and money that's tied to education. Title IX will still be a consideration, but that's just a speedbump.

• TBH 1
10 hours ago, I am I said:

The players wanted this free portal and NIL. 
it’s always been a business but now the players are businessmen as well. 

if we fans have to deal with guys like Hausman leaving for his opportunity, players need to deal with cuts and whatnot as well. They are now professionals, deal with it 

This.

10 hours ago, Toe said:

I think it's just a matter of time until the scholarship limit is raised or eliminated, and it'll probably be the latter. The Supreme Court's NCAA v. Alston ruling is gonna make it hard for the NCAA to justify anything that comes between students and money that's tied to education. Title IX will still be a consideration, but that's just a speedbump.

Title IX is exactly why the scholarship limit will not be eliminated or raised.

• Plus1 3

In 1988 the limit went from 105 to 95 then in 1993 it went to 85.  This was all in the name of competitive balance.  All the best teams (including Nebraska) were "hoarding" players and the "bad" teams felt like it was impossible to improve because many good players would rather be on the bench of a good team than start for a bad one (there is still a lot of this).  I believe at one point the limit was 120, so the number of scholarships available has been fluid.

Title IX will always be a problem, but there are ways around it.  Wisconsin currently has 90 women on their rowing team.  Does anyone really believe they even have enough boats for everyone to practice?

• TBH 1

Not getting a Division 1 scholarship and being forced to go to a community college where you actually get playing time, a chance to prove your worth, and an opportunity to get picked up by one of the many the Division 1 schools that heavily scout community colleges is the better case scenario than being player 85 in a prestigious program that will never let you see the field. 

If you use your scholarship to get that BA in Communications you always dreamed of, maybe that's a different story. 

• TBH 1
15 hours ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Scholarship s are not meaningless because of NIL.  The key driver is there are only 11 spots on the field at one time.

It doesn’t matter if you 85 or 102 scholarships, there’s still 11 spots on the field.  Most people leave because they are 12th spot, not 86th.

I never said they were meaningless - I said they are meaning less than they previously did due to NIL.  In other words, the scholarship cap doesn't matter nearly as much as it previously did because schools have a way to get tuition paid for their walk on players.  This is already happening at many schools.  The school is allowed to pay 85 directly but then the collectives can pay the tuition of an additional 20 making the cap pointless really.  

4 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I never said they were meaningless - I said they are meaning less than they previously did due to NIL.  In other words, the scholarship cap doesn't matter nearly as much as it previously did because schools have a way to get tuition paid for their walk on players.  This is already happening at many schools.  The school is allowed to pay 85 directly but then the collectives can pay the tuition of an additional 20 making the cap pointless really.  

I know that's been talked about a lot, but has there been one example yet of a player worthy of a scholarship at any school taking NIL money instead? I don't think that's actually going to happen, they want the scholarship because the NIL money is less than the headlines say and walking on ain't cheap. 

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, Husker in WI said:

I know that's been talked about a lot, but has there been one example yet of a player worthy of a scholarship at any school taking NIL money instead? I don't think that's actually going to happen, they want the scholarship because the NIL money is less than the headlines say and walking on ain't cheap. 

Plenty of examples- 

Some directly reference paying tuition

https://www.si.com/college/2021/08/12/byu-football-nil-deal-walk-on-tuition-built-bar

https://www.wibw.com/2022/04/17/k-state-athletes-surprised-with-paid-off-tuition/

While others just pay the whole team, including walk on players

https://businessofcollegesports.com/name-image-likeness/texas-tech-footballs-matador-club-partnership-continues-trend-of-team-wide-nil-deals/

1 minute ago, Hilltop said:

Right, but those are all guys who have already walked on. Nobody is recruiting 4-stars and stashing them as walk-ons with above-market NIL deals or anything. This can keep walk-ons from leaving, but how many of them would have been put on scholarship anyway - 2? 3? 

• Plus1 2