Huskers in the 2023 NFL Draft

Red Five

47 minutes ago, Head Coach Scott Frost said:

If I was a draft analyst and I couldn't decide between an Ohio state guy and a Group of 5 player I would 100% pick the Ohio State guy. You'll look so much less stupid if you're wrong

It’s more about drafting guys like Ryan Leaf or Jemarcus Russel or taking a shot on a guy like Matt Cassel who attempted a total of 33 passes in his 4-year college career and yet was drafted and banked over $65mil in the NFL. Don’t think anyone is drafting Joe Burrow 1st overall if he played at NU. 

6 hours ago, Savage Husker said:

How much did Mathis lose by transferring and taking NIL at NU, rather than stick it out at TCU on a legit team?

I don't feel Mathis set himself up to succeed by missing spring ball.  That said, I think he's a lot better prospect than several players drafted ahead of him, and a much better all around player than most of the designated "pass rushers".  

5 hours ago, brophog said:

I don't disagree with any of that, but if he (Palmer) was 3-4 inches taller NFL teams will take that gamble. Most of his issues are coachable.

Scouts see Palmer as the quintessential straight line speed guy.  His agility testing and vertical were bizarrely low for a guy with that much juice.  Link below, check graph at end of page.  That doesn't lend itself to gaining separation as a route runner.  Novice scouting reports suggest he doesn't run a polished route tree ect...but elite receivers who have average top end speed and don't have elite size, typically test very well in agility drills.  

I heard a Buc scout compare him to DeSean Jackson and that seems right if you think DeSean later in his career.  Capable of big plays down the field here and there.

Trey Palmer Wide Receiver Nebraska | NFL Draft Profile & Scouting Report (nfldraftbuzz.com)

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, BoSolich said:

so nelson and vokolev left early just to be  undrafted. makes no sense to leave early when NIL exists now.

these guys essentially have 1 training camp to now prove they can play in the nfl instead of an entire college season against lesser competition to put up stats.

Ugh. Yes, NIL is an enticement for a guy to come back to play another year of college. However, Vokalek didn’t have any college eligibility left and what else is Nelson going to do to improve his chances in playing in the NFL?  Nelson is 23 years old, already played 4 full years of college football, putting his body thru a lot of wear and tear, and has his degree. How much NIL $ makes it worth for him to come back to NU?

Nelson isn’t going to get considerably faster or stronger by playing one more season of college football. He would only be one year older, and reducing his NFL career by one year in the long run. He wants to give the NFL a shot, let him do that. Those saying “he left early and went undrafted, what is he going to do now?” are coming across as selfish college fans. 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 1

I disagree on Nelson. He was getting older but another year and he would have been drafted.  He was on a bad football team and still somewhat shined and flashed at times. He would have absolutely been the face of the defense this season. If they play better he would have benefited. Some of the guys taken ahead of him this draft don’t seem as good as him. Good luck to him on the Dolphins. 

• Haha 4
10 hours ago, BoSolich said:

so nelson and vokolev left early just to be  undrafted. makes no sense to leave early when NIL exists now.

these guys essentially have 1 training camp to now prove they can play in the nfl instead of an entire college season against lesser competition to put up stats.

What makes you think that one year and they are actually drafted? Nelson IMO in his current state would be lucky to be on a roster. Would really have to be a special teams ace like Gifford. Unfortunately for him is he is a tweener. Too small for DE/way too slow for OLB. Even in college he was too small to play DE. And he isn’t very quick off the line. It was bull rush or bust. His only move. 

• Plus1 1
37 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

I disagree on Nelson. He was getting older but another year and he would have been drafted.  He was on a bad football team and still somewhat shined and flashed at times. He would have absolutely been the face of the defense this season. If they play better he would have benefited. Some of the guys taken ahead of him this draft don’t seem as good as him. Good luck to him on the Dolphins. 

Which NFL team would draft him next year and not this year? 50% of the draft is potential. Who wants to draft the Chris Weinke of ends? 

16 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Which NFL team would draft him next year and not this year? 50% of the draft is potential. Who wants to draft the Chris Weinke of ends? 

If he is the leader on an improved defense, gets all conference type accolades, improves his stats, improves his skill under better development there are enough teams. If the team has an improved season he would get much of that praise and world garner more attention. Of course his odds of getting drafted would improve if the above happens as teams would have further evidence he has NFL potential. There’s no guarantees as he could get hurt too. But to say his draft stock would not have improved is short-sighted if he would have played another full season here. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, chamrocck said:

If he is the leader on an improved defense, gets all conference type accolades, improves his stats, improves his skill under better development there are enough teams. If the team has an improved season he would get much of that praise and world garner more attention. Of course his odds of getting drafted would improve if the above happens as teams would have further evidence he has NFL potential. There’s no guarantees as he could get hurt too. But to say his draft stock would not have improved is short-sighted if he would have played another full season here. 

If you’ve proven to be a slightly above average worker for 4 years, does a new boss make you that much better his first year? 
I think it’s so easy to say he could be this or that, but seeing how the last 2 coaching changes have went, I think it’s safer to say he would be wasting his time coming back. 
An Iowa kid got drafted 13th having never started a game. I think you and NFL scouts have a different definition of NFL potential. 

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, chamrocck said:

The reason his draft stock wasn't going to improve is that he's was basically the same type of player his entire career at NU.  He did get bigger and stronger, but a lot of that is due to him going from a 18-year old freshman to a 22-year old senior.  NFL scouts don't care too much about college stats (especially as a defensive lineman) or if he played on a good defense.  Nelson wasn't going to improve dramatically by staying another year, and unfortunately his draft prospects would probably have gotten worse by being a year older.  You don't seem to understand what NFL teams and scouts use to evaluate players and draft worthiness.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The reason his draft stock wasn't going to improve is that he's was basically the same type of player his entire career at NU.  He did get bigger and stronger, but a lot of that is due to him going from a 18-year old freshman to a 22-year old senior.  NFL scouts don't care too much about college stats (especially as a defensive lineman) or if he played on a good defense.  Nelson wasn't going to improve dramatically by staying another year, and unfortunately his draft prospects would probably have gotten worse by being a year older.  You don't seem to understand what NFL teams and scouts use to evaluate players and draft worthiness.

The only way Nelson was getting drafted (if he came back another year) would have been if he grew 5 inches and go faster...

He needed to go since that was best for him.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1