SEC or BIG

When you take the hate out against Alabama (for dominating college football for a decade or so)... The SEC is some pretty good football to watch, week to week.  Some weeks the Big Ten has one or 2 games that are interesting (not including our Huskers).  

I've actually enjoyed watching SEC football the last 5 years.  The only thing that stopped me from trying to watch and enjoy it, was that the haunting hatefulness in my ear (coming from everyone) that "you are not supposed to like it!"

I have grown to like SEC football a lot.  The Media forced theatrics and bias, not so much.  

4 hours ago, gobiggergoredder said:

It’s a question of relevance and not what the history books say.

It’s great you still get a tingle downstairs from the SEC, but the simple fact is there’s plenty that at right there.

It does get my man parts nice and riled up to see a good amount of program and player development. But obviously you’d rather play a nice game of paddy cake with Purdue. 

• Oh Yeah! 1
8 hours ago, runningblind said:

There are two power leagues, and we are in one of em. The easier one to win in, so I think we are just fine. We can't win anyway at the moment, so why make it harder.

Ask OU/TX.

Your conference is not easy at all, of course the SEC is slightly harder.  You need to recruit your way out of this mess.  In the SEC you would get a shot at the recruits who desperately want to be seen on ESPN's featured games with UGA et al.  Again this may have been unknown when you became the 12th member of the conference over a decade ago.  At the time Tom Osborne may have thought he got into an exclusive club. 

12 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Ask OU/TX.

Your conference is not easy at all, of course the SEC is slightly harder.  You need to recruit your way out of this mess.  In the SEC you would get a shot at the recruits who desperately want to be seen on ESPN's featured games with UGA et al.  Again this may have been unknown when you became the 12th member of the conference over a decade ago.  At the time Tom Osborne may have thought he got into an exclusive club. 

The Big 10 feels exactly like the Big 12. People keep saying oh the the national championship could’ve been two Big 10 teams but the problem isn’t making the dance and having a chance it’s the fact that the league doesn’t prepare teams to make noise once they are in. The level of play needed to win the conference compared to beating the best of the best is not comparable. IMO in hindsight the SEC would’ve fit us better from an identity standpoint and grooming our players on what it takes to really be successful at that level

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, huskerfan702 said:

The Big 10 feels exactly like the Big 12. People keep saying oh the the national championship could’ve been two Big 10 teams but the problem isn’t making the dance and having a chance it’s the fact that the league doesn’t prepare teams to make noise once they are in. The level of play needed to win the conference compared to beating the best of the best is not comparable. IMO in hindsight the SEC would’ve fit us better from an identity standpoint and grooming our players on what it takes to really be successful at that level

That's crazy talk.  Ohio State made noise and even though they didn't win the game against Georgia it was a back and forth affair.  Ohio State had Georgia on it's toes.  Joining the SEC wouldn't make our identity any better.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
16 minutes ago, huskerfan702 said:

It’s been great to see Missouri and A&M rise to prominence in the SEC.  With all that identity and player development the conference has gained them.  Spot on.

we would have been different though right? It wasnt Eichorst or Riley or Frost.  It was just the wrong conference.  Frost would have lit up the SEC because our players would have developed differently.

Nevermind, that does sound like I’ve been drinking.

• Plus1 2

5 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

That's crazy talk.  Ohio State made noise and even though they didn't win the game against Georgia it was a back and forth affair.  Ohio State had Georgia on it's toes.  Joining the SEC wouldn't make our identity any better.

Ohio state is carrying the weight of the entire conference. Crazy talk is basing an entire conferences credibility off of one teams accomplishments. Which conference would have more natiural rivalries that our fan base can get behind? Thank goodness we play that Iowa in game that nobody pays attention to once a year right

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

It’s been great to see Missouri and A&M rise to prominence in the SEC.  With all that identity and player development the conference has gained them.  Spot on.

we would have been different though right? It wasnt Eichorst or Riley or Frost.  It was just the wrong conference.  Frost would have lit up the SEC because our players would have developed differently.

Nevermind, that does sound like I’ve been drinking.

You have to be drinking because your merging my thought and your opinion. My thought is the SEC has a good amount of program and player development. Your opinion that I believe we had the talent or capability as a program to compete now. Idk what you want to be if you scared to play the best and compare us to Missouri and A&M. Of course we’d take our lumps but in hindsight I’d rather the resources of the SEC and the natural rivalries that would exist for us

16 minutes ago, huskerfan702 said:

You have to be drinking because your merging my thought and your opinion. My thought is the SEC has a good amount of program and player development. Your opinion that I believe we had the talent or capability as a program to compete now. Idk what you want to be if you scared to play the best and compare us to Missouri and A&M. Of course we’d take our lumps but in hindsight I’d rather the resources of the SEC and the natural rivalries that would exist for us

Natural Rivalries?  You just keep making this better.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, huskerfan702 said:

Ohio state is carrying the weight of the entire conference. Crazy talk is basing an entire conferences credibility off of one teams accomplishments. Which conference would have more natiural rivalries that our fan base can get behind? Thank goodness we play that Iowa in game that nobody pays attention to once a year right

One teams accomplishments???  You seem to forget that Michigan was there too at the end.  Yes they played their worst football against TCU but that still doesn't mean they didn't belong in the game to play.  You seem to forgot our so called natural rivalries are teams from the Big Ten before we even joined them.  Minnesota, Wisconsin, Penn State are some of the few to be exact. 

• Plus1 2

Minnesota?! I’ll give you penn state when it comes to moving the needle but come on now. If Michigan falls off a cliff what’s gonna be there story when it comes to the last 50 years of football? One of the Top 5 things in their story will be the loss to app state. I never said they didn’t belong just that Ohio state is carrying and has carried the weight of the conference.