2023 Spring Practice Notes - Quarterbacks

Mavric

Thompson says he is supposed to be cleared to start doing light throwing after 16 weeks.  He's roughly 10 weeks post-surgery now.  That would mean he could start doing a few things the week of March 27th, which is the second week of spring practice.

Word is he may be able to start doing a few things but will likely be very limited through spring practice.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

5 hours ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

I hope they don't try to push him to come back too soon. I'd rather have him healthy going into next season.

It's a fine line for him I'm sure.  Would you rather be a healthy second string senior or take a chance to push it to hold the starting job?  This spring is going to be pretty important as we transition to the new system.  Missing spring would, imo,  significantly lower his chances for being QB1 on August 31st.    

1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

It's a fine line for him I'm sure.  Would you rather be a healthy second string senior or take a chance to push it to hold the starting job?  This spring is going to be pretty important as we transition to the new system.  Missing spring would, imo,  significantly lower his chances for being QB1 on August 31st.    

I hope CT is able to come back adequately to compete for the starting job this fall.   

My questions: 

Who will be transferring after spring ball?     I suspect Logan to remain at NU - starter or not - he seems committed to the school.  My guess is that 2 of these 3 transfer: 

Chubba Purdy, Heinrich Haarberg and Richard Torres  My guess is Haarberg stays (based on nothing other than he is a in state kid)

Who, of the 'rest of the guys', challenge for the #2 spot?  - My guess is Haarberg stays and moves up to a solid # 3.  Big arm, good runner.  

Will there be a big drop off between # 2 and # 3?   Probably as the last staff didn't develop anyone.  

35 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I hope CT is able to come back adequately to compete for the starting job this fall.   

My questions: 

Who will be transferring after spring ball?     I suspect Logan to remain at NU - starter or not - he seems committed to the school.  My guess is that 2 of these 3 transfer: 

Chubba Purdy, Heinrich Haarberg and Richard Torres  My guess is Haarberg stays (based on nothing other than he is a in state kid)

Who, of the 'rest of the guys', challenge for the #2 spot?  - My guess is Haarberg stays and moves up to a solid # 3.  Big arm, good runner.  

Will there be a big drop off between # 2 and # 3?   Probably as the last staff didn't develop anyone.  

The tough part for Purdy is that he has used his one "free transfer".  Although I am sure he can do some crazy petition to the NCAA and get it approved.  I don't think Haarberg will stick around.  He might as well transfer to UNK.

36 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The tough part for Purdy is that he has used his one "free transfer".  Although I am sure he can do some crazy petition to the NCAA and get it approved.  I don't think Haarberg will stick around.  He might as well transfer to UNK.

I think Purdy is still able to explore transferring due to a coaching change.  Dont quote me on that but feel like ive heard that a few times from local reporters as of late given the question around how large the roster is currently and needing to cut down to 85. 

I don’t see any reason for a transfer before end of spring of course. If any were wanting to, they already would have. And we don’t know if Raiola is N or not. If not, the future wide open for several of these guys. Sims is the new guy, once Casey leaves in 10 months. Logan is N for life it seems - that’s his dream apparently.  He is still somewhere in the mix if injuries happen (as has been the case nearly every season since Logan was born).  Both Sims and CT have a clear history as does even Logan.  

There may be other QBs in the mix by fall - we don’t know.  If Dylan R goes elsewhere, the race is wide open certainly.  Someone(s) may leave but who?  Torres has skills. HH as well. Purdy was in the hunt as well. They all are competitors. We shall enjoy watching the process unfold, hopefully. It seems likely one or two will be worthy. 

4 hours ago, TGHusker said:

My questions: 

I think that Logan transfers out.  Bc Purdy has more potential then him.  Logan would have to show significant improvement on his throwing motion and or feet placement in order to be in the conversation.  Love his running ability but his throwing is something left to be desired for still.  The problem with Purdy was the former staff was horrible at developing and he was thrown into the lion's den.  He clearly wasn't ready last season but he tried to make the best of it.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1
49 minutes ago, skers83 said:

Smothers played for the same staff as Purdy. He also had a higher qb rating. 

Smothers as been here way longer and still has been buried on the depth chart.  If the coaches actually believed in him then they wouldn't have added a whole bunch of quarterbacks to the roster.  Clearly he loves the University but he hasn't made the impact that he probably believes he can make and probably can say he was a reach when he offered him.  We knew he needed work at throwing the ball.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Smothers as been here way longer and still has been buried on the depth chart.  If the coaches actually believed in him then they wouldn't have added a whole bunch of quarterbacks to the roster.  Clearly he loves the University but he hasn't made the impact that he probably believes he can make and probably can say he was a reach when he offered him.  We knew he needed work at throwing the ball.

Everthing you say about Smothers might be true. I'm no qb whisperer like Mario but watching Chubba throw last year I'm pretty sure my 5th grade flag  qb had a srtonger and more accurate arm. Smothers and Chubba both spent one year with the great Mark Whipple. Both were class of 2020 I believe. I also believe  neither will ever play much here. Ialso believe Chubba has a hot Mom.

• Plus1 3

This is interesting and re-assuring about Casey getting healthy.  

I like our QBs especially with the addition of Sims.  I feel that Casey Thompson has the edge and has already commanded the team's trust and leadership.  And downfield throwing capabilities.  

I also feel like there is room for both Casey and Sims getting snaps this year.  Maybe different roles at different times, but both seem like they can get the chains moving.  I'm ok with whatever happens.  

I don't have anything to add about Purdy recovering from an injury, Smothers ability as he progresses, or the other QBs.  Although I do like Torres down the road.  

10 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I think that Logan transfers out.  Bc Purdy has more potential then him.  Logan would have to show significant improvement on his throwing motion and or feet placement in order to be in the conversation.  Love his running ability but his throwing is something left to be desired for still.  The problem with Purdy was the former staff was horrible at developing and he was thrown into the lion's den.  He clearly wasn't ready last season but he tried to make the best of it.

Purdy wasn’t able to stand in and make a pass when he faced pressure. He was a good high school prospect because of his last name, his good size/athleticism, and a strong arm, but he is terrible once the lights go on and he actually faces competition. He was like that at Florida State, and he’s been like that at NU. I don’t see this as a lack of development. I see this as a guy who can’t handle it when a pass rush is in his face. 

• Fire 1
  • TBH 2
13 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Because of Covid rules Haarberg its still technically a 7th grader according to the NCAA.

• Haha 5
  • TBH 1
40 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Because of Covid rules Haarberg its still technically a 7th grader according to the NCAA.

I’m sure you’ve seen/heard about a lot of parents using “the difficult COVID” year as an excuse for parents to hold back their kid in an attempt for a better opportunity to play sports in college. I know it was happening a lot pre-COVID, but it’s grown since then. 

• Thanks 1