2023 Spring Practice Notes - Quarterbacks

Mavric

10 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Smothers as been here way longer and still has been buried on the depth chart.  If the coaches actually believed in him then they wouldn't have added a whole bunch of quarterbacks to the roster.

I mean the coach who felt that we needed to bring in Purdy has been fired (and good riddance). Whipple might have seen something in Purdy over Smothers, but I sure never did.

And I wouldn't read too much into Rhule bringing in Sims - I think Rhule's philosophy is to just stockpile all the talent (particularly athleticism) he can on signing day and worry about the rest later on.

• TBH 2

8 minutes ago, Toe said:

I mean the coach who felt that we needed to bring in Purdy has been fired (and good riddance). Whipple might have seen something in Purdy over Smothers, but I sure never did.

And I wouldn't read too much into Rhule bringing in Sims - I think Rhule's philosophy is to just stockpile all the talent (particularly athleticism) he can on signing day and worry about the rest later on.

I feel like Purdy was just starting to show something against Minnesota, but then he got hurt. But we'll definitely see a QB or two transfer after spring once they get a sense of where they stand.

9 minutes ago, Red Five said:

He was 6/16 for 41 yards and 1 interception and was benched in the 4Q vs Minnesota.

Yeah, he was 'showing something' alright. But what he was showing sure wasn't anything I want to see again...

• Plus1 3

41 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I feel like Purdy was just starting to show something against Minnesota, but then he got hurt. But we'll definitely see a QB or two transfer after spring once they get a sense of where they stand.

Michigan was the game where Purdy got injured.  Even then his performance was only "good" relative to his prior performance.  Before he was injured, he was 6 of 12 for 56 yards and had 6 carries for 39 yards.  He led NU to 3 points, so let's not act like he was excelling.

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, Red Five said:

He was 6/16 for 41 yards and 1 interception and was benched in the 4Q vs Minnesota.

6 minutes ago, Toe said:

Yeah, he was 'showing something' alright. But what he was showing sure wasn't anything I want to see again...

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

Michigan was the game where Purdy got injured.  Even then his performance was only "good" relative to his prior performance.  Before he was injured, he was 6 of 12 for 56 yards and had 6 carries for 39 yards.  He led NU to 3 points, so let's not act like he was excelling.

Ah my bad, definitely meant Michigan. And right, he was not lighting it up by any means. But he looked lost in his early action (that was Minnesota), and he was showing some emotion and actually making a few things happen against Michigan. I won't lose any sleep if he moves on, but it at least gave me some hope he could figure things out after a brutal game previously.

• Plus1 3
11 hours ago, skers83 said:

Everthing you say about Smothers might be true. I'm no qb whisperer like Mario but watching Chubba throw last year I'm pretty sure my 5th grade flag  qb had a srtonger and more accurate arm. Smothers and Chubba both spent one year with the great Mark Whipple. Both were class of 2020 I believe. I also believe  neither will ever play much here. Ialso believe Chubba has a hot Mom.

After watching Purdy last year, I'm not convinced he's right-handed.

• Haha 7
  • TBH 2
On 2/13/2023 at 9:18 PM, Huskerfollower4life said:

I think that Logan transfers out.  Bc Purdy has more potential then him.  Logan would have to show significant improvement on his throwing motion and or feet placement in order to be in the conversation.  Love his running ability but his throwing is something left to be desired for still.  The problem with Purdy was the former staff was horrible at developing and he was thrown into the lion's den.  He clearly wasn't ready last season but he tried to make the best of it.

Logan is N for life...  He seems content in his roll on the team and will bleed red to the end...  JMHO..

• Fire 1