2023 Spring Practice Notes - Quarterbacks

Mavric

On 2/21/2023 at 6:08 PM, THROW_DEM_BONES said:

Why would you want to run back a 4-8 season?

That is false.

Truth is, the Huskers were 4-5 with Casey Thompson.  

And with the exception of OU, the Huskers had leads in 3 of those games with Casey (4 if counting Illinois).  Defense was an issue. 

Against NW, Casey and Huskers had a 28-17 lead in 3rd QTR, and all the momentum after scoring a touchdown.  The team was amped up.  But that momentum lasted about 30 seconds.... because of the onside kick attempt failed, which gave NW a short field, momentum, and soon a touchdown on that drive to close the gap and make it a game.  It gave new life to NW and the Huskers struggled on both sides of the ball after that. NW offense had 85 plays and 527 yards, converted 4 of 5 in redzone.  

Against Georgia Southern, Huskers took lead 42-38 with 3:05 left in game. Not only did the Defense allow 642 yards to Georgia Southern on 86 plays, but the Husker's defense also could not stop Georgia Southern with a lead, at home, and lost the game.  GSU marched down the entire field a scored the winning touchdown with 00:36 left in the game.  Against the Blackshirt defense, one single GSU running back had 132 yards rushing on 10 carries, and their QB also passed for 409 yards.  

Against Wisconsin, CT returned after missing 2 games, still playing injured, but the Huskers were up 14-3 going into the 4th quarter.  With 3:05 left in the game, Huskers leading 14-9, the defense could not stop Wisconsin and gave up the winning TD with 00:35 left in game.  

The Illinois game was incomplete (Casey had the Huskers at home, leading #17 Illinois, early in the 2nd QTR 9-6, then the injury happened).  It was the most points scored against Illinois in a 1st half in 7 games. With 9 minutes left until halftime.  With Casey sidelined, Illinois took over, won the game, and improved to 7-1.

So, I disagree with "why run back 4-8 season" jab at Casey, because context matters a lot.  IMO the Huskers had opportunity to be 7-2 with Casey with a better defense and stupid decision making by the HC in the NW game.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, admo said:

That is false.

And with the exception of OU, the Huskers had leads in 3 of those games with Casey (4 if counting Illinois).  Defense was an issue. 

Against NW, Casey and Huskers had a 28-17 lead in 3rd QTR, and all the momentum after scoring a touchdown.  The team was amped up.  But that momentum lasted about 30 seconds.... because of the onside kick attempt failed, which gave NW a short field, momentum, and soon a touchdown on that drive to close the gap and make it a game.  It gave new life to NW and the Huskers struggled on both sides of the ball after that. NW offense had 85 plays and 527 yards, converted 4 of 5 in redzone.  

Against Georgia Southern, Huskers took lead 42-38 with 3:05 left in game. Not only did the Defense allow 642 yards to Georgia Southern on 86 plays, but the Husker's defense also could not stop Georgia Southern with a lead, at home, and lost the game.  GSU marched down the entire field a scored the winning touchdown with 00:36 left in the game.  Against the Blackshirt defense, one single GSU running back had 132 yards rushing on 10 carries, and their QB also passed for 409 yards.  

Against Wisconsin, CT returned after missing 2 games, still playing injured, but the Huskers were up 14-3 going into the 4th quarter.  With 3:05 left in the game, Huskers leading 14-9, the defense could not stop Wisconsin and gave up the winning TD with 00:35 left in game.  

The Illinois game was incomplete (Casey had the Huskers at home, leading #17 Illinois, early in the 2nd QTR 9-6, then the injury happened).  It was the most points scored against Illinois in a 1st half in 7 games. With 9 minutes left until halftime.  With Casey sidelined, Illinois took over, won the game, and improved to 7-1.

So, I disagree with "why run back 4-8 season" jab at Casey, because context matters a lot.  IMO the Huskers had opportunity to be 7-2 with Casey with a better defense and stupid decision making by the HC in the NW game.

Totally agree. I was kidding in the first place. I know that he easily could have won games that Purdy didn't. I also agree that the D never helped. With Casey healthy, we would have won 6 or 7 games, and that is not even considering that would have been 8 or 9 with capable coaching and an earlier DC switch.

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
2 hours ago, THROW_DEM_BONES said:

Totally agree. I was kidding in the first place. I know that he easily could have won games that Purdy didn't. I also agree that the D never helped. With Casey healthy, we would have won 6 or 7 games, and that is not even considering that would have been 8 or 9 with capable coaching and an earlier DC switch.

Ahh, my bad!  :facepalm:   

On record I did chuckle at first :)

Not sure the overall coaching can be that much better this fall than it was in Nov.  the revamped staff and MJ weren’t great, but it was much better than the Frost headed crews.  
We were all sort of mesmerized by what we imagined Frost could / should have been.  
Almost nobody expected what we got instead. 
It will take time to correct the problems .  Enough talent returns but will they buy- in soon enough and remake themselves ?   Idk.  

8 hours ago, admo said:

That is false.

and so it goes w the entire Frost tenure, and Mickey having to pull loose strings; which he did admirably.
Losing by 7pts or less was Frost’s greatest achievement.  Literally set the record in modern times. If Frost goes even 50% in one score games he might still have a job here. 

Methinks, with an even slight advantage in discipline and “kill” mentality we win enough games next year to go bowling. 
I’m excited to see what some discipline and an actual f’ing identity looks like. 
hey Matt, establish a f’ing  identity. NOW. 

he talked about the line of scrimmage. Man  v  Man.  B1G line em up type ball. He better not f this up. Hey Matt, get these boys fing tough. Hit them in the throat and see how it works out. 

i, for one as a Nebraska fan, just want to see some fing tough players. Make those boys tough as fing nails and let the cards fall. Let’s at least be f’ing tough. Did I say tough? It can be recruited and it can be taught. 

Frost was all about fixing the culture.  Looking back in hindsight, I’m not sure he truly was in touch with the program and team as a whole to assess ‘the culture’, much less fix it.

Ive never read a definition of the term in a cfb context. If there is one, not sure there is a certain magical one ‘culture’ that fits all. I’m not sure that there is only one certain one the befits DONU particularly.  

My impression is we need a program that systematically brings in good athletes that want to play the game at its highest level, get better over time, be great teammates who care for each other deeply, get a good education to prepare for life after playing football, learn the right ways to be good citizens as adults, and in the process have some fun doing it.  With NIL we’ve made the financial motive front and center as athletes are now hired guns or mercenaries in many ways.  

If the program was adrift and without a focus or direction, Rhule seems to have a detailed, systematic plan.  But recruiting may now be more about hiring with compensation packages than selling a cultural fit.  In fact, being a Husker football player may now be mostly a job, not an adventure.  Are players now ‘coworkers’ and ‘temps’ as opposed to becoming lifelong members of the Husker family?    Can you have that camaraderie and ‘culture’ in a 9 to 5 job?   Free agents?  

The song Come a runnin boys is all about the essence of the culture for winning in a Husker uniform.  You do it for pride and your fellow Huskers.  One team and one purpose - compete for championships. A strong will to win.  It’s now about $$$.  Can money be used to get the recruits ‘hired’ but passion and hunger for team goals and ‘the program’ be instilled as the overriding motivation?   

I don’t know.  Rhule has seen both the amateur and professional organizational foundations. He seems to be a driven HC who loves his job.  His is a career. A consummate professional salesman.  He certainly ‘gets ‘it’ in that he can talk a great game.  He identifies problem areas and focuses on how to fix them.  He’s a ‘fixer’.  Is he an outside consultant ?  Yes. Can or will he someday become a true believing Husker for life?  That’s an essence of Husker culture that is missing, perhaps.  Or does it even matter anymore?  

5 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Frost was all about fixing the culture.  Looking back in hindsight, I’m not sure he truly was in touch with the program and team as a whole to assess ‘the culture’, much less fix it.

Ive never read a definition of the term in a cfb context. If there is one, not sure there is a certain magical one ‘culture’ that fits all. I’m not sure that there is only one certain one the befits DONU particularly.  

My impression is we need a program that systematically brings in good athletes that want to play the game at its highest level, get better over time, be great teammates who care for each other deeply, get a good education to prepare for life after playing football, learn the right ways to be good citizens as adults, and in the process have some fun doing it.  With NIL we’ve made the financial motive front and center as athletes are now hired guns or mercenaries in many ways.  

If the program was adrift and without a focus or direction, Rhule seems to have a detailed, systematic plan.  But recruiting may now be more about hiring with compensation packages than selling a cultural fit.  In fact, being a Husker football player may now be mostly a job, not an adventure.  Are players now ‘coworkers’ and ‘temps’ as opposed to becoming lifelong members of the Husker family?    Can you have that camaraderie and ‘culture’ in a 9 to 5 job?   Free agents?  

The song Come a runnin boys is all about the essence of the culture for winning in a Husker uniform.  You do it for pride and your fellow Huskers.  One team and one purpose - compete for championships. A strong will to win.  It’s now about $$$.  Can money be used to get the recruits ‘hired’ but passion and hunger for team goals and ‘the program’ be instilled as the overriding motivation?   

I don’t know.  Rhule has seen both the amateur and professional organizational foundations. He seems to be a driven HC who loves his job.  His is a career. A consummate professional salesman.  He certainly ‘gets ‘it’ in that he can talk a great game.  He identifies problem areas and focuses on how to fix them.  He’s a ‘fixer’.  Is he an outside consultant ?  Yes. Can or will he someday become a true believing Husker for life?  That’s an essence of Husker culture that is missing, perhaps.  Or does it even matter anymore?  

Frosty thought he knew what culture was from his time in the 90s when he saw his teammates lead. He thought the players would recreate and set the culture themselves, without any input or leadership from him. He had no clue. Players can continue the culture as upperclassmen, but it had to be instilled in them by coaches and the program first.

Culture to me is simply caring about those next to you and the program's success as much as your own. That takes a coaching staff who cares just as much, who is also willing to put in the time. Scott Frost was none of those things. Rhule has shown that so far, results TBD.

• Plus1 3
45 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Frosty thought he knew what culture was from his time in the 90s when he saw his teammates lead. He thought the players would recreate and set the culture themselves, without any input or leadership from him. He had no clue. Players can continue the culture as upperclassmen, but it had to be instilled in them by coaches and the program first.

I think this is a really accurate take.

In fact I remember at least one specific quote where he said (and I'm paraphrasing as best I can from memory) "if I need to help motivate these players when they step onto the field in Memorial Stadium, then something's wrong." Meaning, he refused to do it because he thought it was completely unnecessary.

Wow was he wrong.

• Plus1 2
47 minutes ago, Undone said:

I think this is a really accurate take.

In fact I remember at least one specific quote where he said (and I'm paraphrasing as best I can from memory) "if I need to help motivate these players when they step onto the field in Memorial Stadium, then something's wrong." Meaning, he refused to do it because he thought it was completely unnecessary.

Wow was he wrong.

I think coaches need to motivate players to practice hard and get prepared for the game.  I somewhat agree that a coach shouldn't have to motivate a player to play an actual game.  If you need a coach to rah rah you up before playing in front of 80k plus people you have a problem.  

• Plus1 1

21 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I think coaches need to motivate players to practice hard and get prepared for the game.  I somewhat agree that a coach shouldn't have to motivate a player to play an actual game.  If you need a coach to rah rah you up before playing in front of 80k plus people you have a problem.  

Also kinda agree. Although if you find yourself leading a team that doesn't naturally get stoked playing for the Sea of Red, you have to question your own recruiting as well as your leadership.  

2 hours ago, runningblind said:

Culture to me is simply caring about those next to you and the program's success as much as your own. 

It's also doing whatever it takes, within reason, to be successful.  Have you done everything that you can do to win?

Also, the cliche statement about what you're doing when no one is watching.  I bet Rhule puts his shopping cart in the cart corral.

shopping+cart.jpg

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1