2023 Spring Practice Notes - Quarterbacks

Mavric

8 hours ago, Farms said:

Reports from practice are that Sims looks very good. Haarberg is reportedly the #2 guy right now and looking good. It’s going to be an interesting fall in the QB room.

I'm assuming once Thompson's yellow jersey comes off, he will be at worst #2 on the depth chart.

• TBH 2

9 minutes ago, sho said:

I'm assuming once Thompson's yellow jersey comes off, he will be at worst #2 on the depth chart.

He very well could be, but I think he is going to have to be willing to run a lot more than he has shown to stay in the hunt. Rhule and Co. clearly value the QB run game a lot. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
34 minutes ago, sho said:

I don’t think there’s any doubt he will be. But if he ends up behind Sims, Im not sure he sticks around. So who ends up QB3 could be important. Also I’ll throw out another scenario. Say it ends up like, 1. Sims 2. Thompson 3. Haarberg/Smothers 4. Purdy 5. Torres. I think it’s possible that at least 2 out of 3 of Thompson, Purdy, and Smothers could move on if Sims is the starter and Haarberg is ahead of Purdy/Smothers.

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, Mavric said:

Sims and Purdy were the first two QBs to take snaps today.

Although, with all the love for Haarberg, they could be alternating who is getting the second chance.  Sims seems to be the first on out every time reporters are there.

As he should be (Sims 1st guy to get reps).  Will be interesting when Fall ball comes and Thompson battles him for those reps (1st group).  That's when the team is a month away from the season opener.  It changes everything on the field and analyzing the practice film.  I think we have 2 really good QBs.  And not surprised at all, that Purdy and Haarberg and Torres are improving their game during the spring.  Physically and mentally.   

You just can't take these QB's that are barely-average passers but good runners and have a good offense unless you have a good offensive line. It's pure bias by so many Husker fans to favor the running QB.

I believe it's wisest to incorporate more spread concepts and trot out the guy who is a passer first and foremost. If he can run also, you build that into the game plan. I just don't see being successful with the run-first guy anymore.

I'm not convinced Purdy or Sims can really throw the ball. But we'll see.

Then one more take: When we're talking 13 personnel, I think you either have to plan on having some pretty sneaky routes you're going to use with your TE's and build that into the game plan, or you have to have one hell of a running back if your plan is just a smash mouth game. I'm not convinced we have the back on this roster for that, so it'd probably have to be the former to be successful.

• Plus1 2
On 3/26/2023 at 3:39 PM, admo said:

I love that QB Jeff Sims is currently wearing #14 - mostly because I love that number.  But also, it feels like it's been a long while since a QB wore that number.  (Specifically, a Starter or Potential starter).

I know it prolly means nothing to most guys here, but I got super amped over it :) :bounce

I believe that would be Jerry Tagge, who wore 14. 

• Oh Yeah! 1
11 minutes ago, Undone said:

You just can't take these QB's that are barely-average passers but good runners and have a good offense unless you have a good offensive line. It's pure bias by so many Husker fans to favor the running QB.

I believe it's wisest to incorporate more spread concepts and trot out the guy who is a passer first and foremost. If he can run also, you build that into the game plan. I just don't see being successful with the run-first guy anymore.

I'm not convinced Purdy or Sims can really throw the ball. But we'll see.

Then one more take: When we're talking 13 personnel, I think you either have to plan on having some pretty sneaky routes you're going to use with your TE's and build that into the game plan, or you have to have one hell of a running back if your plan is just a smash mouth game. I'm not convinced we have the back on this roster for that, so it'd probably have to be the former to be successful.

From what I have heard, Sims has been the best all-around QB, and RT has been the best pure passer. 

6 minutes ago, Pedro G said:

Sims has been the best all-around QB

Big if true.

6 minutes ago, Pedro G said:

...RT (Richard Torres) has been the best pure passer.

This checks out for me. I'd just really love to see the guy get some kind of a chance out there.

53 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I have heard Torres clearly has the strongest arm, but it's a pretty big leap from that to "best pure passer."  

Yeah, maybe the comment was more just around his pedigree or style or overall perceived max potential.

Would be very hard to believe he'd be more successful heading into this season in the passing game Thompson. Like, maybe impossible to believe. But his size and style is more of the kind of QB I'd expect being successful with in the B1G, in general.

Don't flood me with hate, but from the off season work we have seen since January?, it does appear that Mr. Haarberg has really grown physically and mentally (probably started earlier than that for sure).  Not surprised he is getting snaps, because he looks like a tough football player (QB or TE).  That's exciting.

And wouldn't be surprised if Purdy has improved a lot, and having talks with his brother who came out of nowhere (7th round pick for SF) to manage the 49ers during a 7-0 late season run.  I'm sure they talked and encouraged each other,  with Brock giving Chubba some solid football advice.  

• Plus1 1