2023 Spring Practice Notes - Quarterbacks

Mavric

33 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Hate the way QB stats are kept. This would show clearly that Haarberg sucks as a passer. He threw several bullets on target that were plain dropped. It should be like 

Sims - 8 passes, 7 catchable, 1 misfire.

Haarberg - 6 passes, 4 catchable, 2 misfire.

* numbers may not be accuarate.

There are times I agree with this but... Haarberg didn't look good after his one nice run.  Looked uncomfortable and indecisive 

1 hour ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

There are times I agree with this but... Haarberg didn't look good after his one nice run.  Looked uncomfortable and indecisive 

This is exactly what the staff needed to see.  It's one thing to zip the ball when 25 people watching and no helmet on.  Today was a different deal.  And the Staff will have material points for every player to improve on over the next four months.  If each does not, next man up.

With Jeff Sims clearly being the number one qb during the spring and him having  a good spring game does that change anyone's perspective that he will be the starter against Minnesota?   For me I still think that it's Casey Thompson job to lose but I could be wrong.  I know the spring game there isn't much stock into it but would you say it helped Jeff Sims case to be the starter?

Both of them are valuable.  Depends on whatever Rhule wants out of his offense (and what Satterfield can do with each QB).  We are very lucky to have them both.  They are talented.

IMHO, as the year starts to develop, if we don't see points by the starter, the next guy will come in to change it up.  I also think there is room for both QBs to make plays.  Meaning, you will have a starter but the other QB gets 8-10 snaps in same game.  And depending on the type of game, one will lead the way - even if he doesn't start.  

I wouldn't count out CT's ability to air it out in a quick short passing game or downfield.  I like Sims too.  He is more physical for sure.  It will come down to who can put points on the scoreboard to be honest (between the both of them).  Int's are part of the game.  Fumbles are not.  

• Plus1 2

Thompson still has another transfer available, but I would be surprised if he does leave over the summer. Regarding the Minnesota game, I think the starter will depend on what type of offense better suits NU for that game. If Satt and Rhule want to go with a run-heavy offense, I think it will be Sims as the starter. If Satt is confident that they won’t need the QB run game as much, and likes what Thompson provides in the passing game, it will probably by CT. If both are still here in the fall, I do expect both to start and get meaningful snaps. This would be due to injury, ineffectiveness, or just trying a new strategy on offense. 

Sims can zip it but overall he's 13 touchdowns to 13 interception for his career.  Can someone turn a new leaf in a new situation sure.

CT went 17-10 last season and I factor in doing so while playing injured.   

Interesting to see how Sims will respond to our OL woes which let's be honest don't look like they're going away anytime soon.  His quick release definitely helps.

CT is already well familiar with our OL.

9 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Sims can zip it but overall he's 13 touchdowns to 13 interception for his career.  Can someone turn a new leaf in a new situation sure.

CT went 17-10 last season and I factor in doing so while playing injured.   

Interesting to see how Sims will respond to our OL woes which let's be honest don't look like they're going away anytime soon.  His quick release definitely helps.

CT is all too familiar.

I think Sims’ size may help him sustain more hits throughout the season if the OL is going to give up a lot of pressure, but he won’t be able to last forever. Also, if the coaches want/need to utilize the QB run game to help the overall run game, then that is another item where that suits Sims. 

I get the feeling Rhule is grooming Casey to be a coach here. Casey’s work ethic when it comes to watching film and studying plays plus him standing next to Rhule with a headset on, I just get that feeling. He wasnt even sure he wanted to play another year, so I dont think he will transfer especially of he has a job waiting for him next year. 

• Plus1 1

With as poor as the oline play has been I think we’ll see both start out of necessity, but I’d bet Sims start because we can’t line up and run at people effectively with just our Rbs. The Qb run game will have to be a factor the defense prepares for. I wouldn’t be surprised if CT start’s because I think he’s a better true Quarterback, but the oline is so terrible he’ll be running for his life and since Sims is more athletic I see him getting the nod week 1 against Minnesota 

• Haha 1
13 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

With Jeff Sims clearly being the number one qb during the spring and him having  a good spring game does that change anyone's perspective that he will be the starter against Minnesota?   For me I still think that it's Casey Thompson job to lose but I could be wrong

You are wrong.

• TBH 6