2023 Spring Practice Notes - Quarterbacks

Mavric

4 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

So you think come Minnesota that Jeff Sims is the starter.  Ok gotcha we will see and why do you feel that it isn't Casey's job to lose?  I said that bc he was the starter from last year.  

Because Sims is Rhule's hand picked guy.  Assuming he is healthy, he will take the 1st snap in Minny.

• TBH 2
33 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Because Sims is Rhule's hand picked guy.  Assuming he is healthy, he will take the 1st snap in Minny.

I personally think that it's totally up in the air and it could be either at this point.  Casey needs to come back healthy and do very well in fall camp to get the job.  Sims has to continue to grow in the position and learn.  If Casey is still here in the fall, I will be very happy that we have two QBs that I feel are capable of leading the offense.  It's been a long time since I have been able to say that.

Have they ever given a timeline for Casey to be able to practice and do whatever he needs to do?

45 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

If I'm Casey, I'm renegotiating whatever NIL deals I have, cause what was behind Sims on Saturday was.....woof. 

While I don’t disagree they had next to 0 help. I mean the backup WRs/TEs were terrible. Dreadful. The depth at DL is much, much better than OL as well. It was an uphill battle that’s for sure. Not saying they played that well but it was pretty bad. 

• TBH 1

@Red Five's argument is winning me over.

And then to add to what you said, @Toe, he was what was available in the portal in terms of a dude with a bigger body that can take some shots in the run game.

But yeah if I were reading tea leaves I'd also bet that Sims is basically the de facto starter at this point. Which would kind of rub me the wrong way because I think Thompson's experience and ability to read the field is huge. If we had a running back that was light's out, I think our situation would pair better with Thompson (hand the ball off to your workhorse back for the running yards and then pretty much only run Casey for your "change up" type of plays).

But, we don't have a lights out back, IMO. So I'm assuming the plan will be to pick up yards on the ground with your beast QB.

Finally, I thought Sims played just fine. I just hope they spend way, way more reps on his throwing game than on his running game between now and week 1.

11 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Haarberg has to do a position change stick around doesn’t he?

He came into the Spring game as the realistic 3rd string.  

He was bad.  

Here's hoping practices either expose or elevate players more clearly moving forward.  He was getting heaps of praise prior and fell completely flat.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Haarberg has to do a position change stick around doesn’t he?

I don't think it's an ultimatum yet, he has the ability to play QB. But if doesn't get more consistent throwing the ball I could see that happening down the road - something like we'd love to have you play TE, but if you're set on QB here are some other schools that might be a good fit.

2 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

He came into the Spring game as the realistic 3rd string.  

He was bad.  

Here's hoping practices either expose or elevate players more clearly moving forward.  He was getting heaps of praise prior and fell completely flat.

funny how the tone on this board of how he played in the differs from a lot of comments I've seen other places.  I like most people here agree he did not look good.  I've seen people post he was more accurate and looked like a beast running the ball compared to the other QB's.  I don't know if they watched the same game or are related to Haarberg.  

• Haha 1