Thunderin' Bolts vs San Diego

Mavric

17 minutes ago, Pasadena Husker said:

wow!.  not a good team.  thought they would be improved from last year, but the same S show.  poor relief pitching, unable to get timely hits, bad fielding in critical situations, blah, blah, blah

I know it’s not the start NU baseball fans want to see, but it is so difficult to adjust to playing real baseball when they can only do work inside.

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I know it’s not the start NU baseball fans want to see, but it is so difficult to adjust to playing real baseball when they can only do work inside.

i don't buy that.  these kids play baseball all year round.  After the season they play in summer leagues, have fall ball, and then practice for the spring season.  

• Plus1 3

2 minutes ago, Pasadena Husker said:

i don't buy that.  these kids play baseball all year round.  After the season they play in summer leagues, have fall ball, and then practice for the spring season.  

Have you done it?  Yeah, they play baseball in the summer and the fall, but they haven’t done it in 4 months.  It’s still an adjustment to only hitting and fielding inside and going out and playing real baseball. The kids at USD have been outside all winter. That’s a huge advantage for them. My son plays high school ball in Colorado and that first few weeks is a tough adjustment for them.

• TBH 1
6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Have you done it?  Yeah, they play baseball in the summer and the fall, but they haven’t done it in 4 months.  It’s still an adjustment to only hitting and fielding inside and going out and playing real baseball. The kids at USD have been outside all winter. That’s a huge advantage for them. My son plays high school ball in Colorado and that first few weeks is a tough adjustment for them.

no, I never played div 1 baseball in college, only legion baseball through high school.  I can imagine fielding balls off a tartan or turf surface is different then grass, but having your veteran middle infielders boot balls out of their gloves on steal attempts that ultimately lead to runs in close games; bringing in relief pitchers like Garza, Sears, and Hawkins that can't stop the bleeding; and consistently and repeatedly not being able to score runs when you have runners in scoring position and no outs are similar things that plagued the team last year.  I get that it is early, but it never improved last year.  time will tell if it repeats itself.  I just have the feeling it will be a repeat of last year.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, Pasadena Husker said:

no, I never played div 1 baseball in college, only legion baseball through high school.  I can imagine fielding balls off a tartan or turf surface is different then grass, but having your veteran middle infielders boot balls out of their gloves on steal attempts that ultimately lead to runs in close games; bringing in relief pitchers like Garza, Sears, and Hawkins that can't stop the bleeding; and consistently and repeatedly not being able to score runs when you have runners in scoring position and no outs are similar things that plagued the team last year.  I get that it is early, but it never improved last year.  time will tell if it repeats itself.  I just have the feeling it will be a repeat of last year.

I didn’t say you had to play D1 baseball to understand. You played legion ball, so you started that well into the spring and summer. It’s a huge adjustment for northern schools who practice 90% of their Jan and Feb practices in an indoor facility to playing outside on a full sized field. It’s impossible to scrimmage and replicate game situations in an indoor facility.  Baseball players choose colleges in warm weather areas because they can play year round.

I agree that this 3 game start is frustrating, but it’s just 3 games into the season. San Diego is also a decent program, so NU may not even have better talent.  Plus, San Diego has been able to do all or most of their work prior to the season outside on a full-sized field. Nebraska had to find a Lincoln high school turf field in January to practice because it was an option for them to be outside. 

• Plus1 1

I agree that it is a huge adjustment. In fact, our best year (under Bolt) came during the season after covid, when we only played a Big 10 schedule. Makes a big difference when you play teams with the same advantages/disadvantages. Nebraska always dig an early hole with their early season schedule, but we NEEDED to play better today, and the entire series. I am not giving up on anyone based on this weekend, but truly hoped we would split at the worst.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1

The rant, Ugh... do I want to rant, would be a noob (me) sounding off. The truth however is our guys bats just aren't there. Not sure why, hitting coach, not seeing the ball, over aggressive,  under aggressive... what's the problem guys? Also, same old story and it's getting incredibly tiresome. Our men's programs are pathetic at best. Tired of getting my hopes up just to watch mediocrity in every game. Sure, occasionally we see a little success (currently MBB) but still.. in the end.. at best we are mediocre. That said, I think if the season continues at or below mediocrity it will be time for a staff shakeup under Bolt. Seems we are struggling on mound, struggling at the plate and struggling finding any rhythm at all.  

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Loebarth said:

The rant, Ugh... do I want to rant, would be a noob (me) sounding off. The truth however is our guys bats just aren't there. Not sure why, hitting coach, not seeing the ball, over aggressive,  under aggressive... what's the problem guys? Also, same old story and it's getting incredibly tiresome. Our men's programs are pathetic at best. Tired of getting my hopes up just to watch mediocrity in every game. Sure, occasionally we see a little success (currently MBB) but still.. in the end.. at best we are mediocre. That said, I think if the season continues at or below mediocrity it will be time for a staff shakeup under Bolt. Seems we are struggling on mound, struggling at the plate and struggling finding any rhythm at all.  

It's only game 3, I think this rant should be shelved for the midpoint of the season.  Honestly though, you seem completely miserable following the Nebraska baseball team.  You've posted the same tired rants year after year, maybe it's time to find something more productive with your time versus something that clearly bums you out so much?

Also, plenty of good seats still available on the Nebraska wrestling bandwagon! 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Xmas32 said:

It's only game 3, I think this rant should be shelved for the midpoint of the season.  Honestly though, you seem completely miserable following the Nebraska baseball team.  You've posted the same tired rants year after year, maybe it's time to find something more productive with your time versus something that clearly bums you out so much?

Also, plenty of good seats still available on the Nebraska wrestling bandwagon! 

lol... I've done that Xmas, my ability to not get frustrated (uncontrollably at times sadly admitted) is to not watch/listen (except football, gotta watch the football) and just follow the webcast. That way I can walk away and not miss anything. So there :P

Yes, I know when it comes to baseball I tend to lose my mind quickly.. I just haven't figured out how to be patient with baseball. Maybe someday.. gummies might be necessary :):woo:facepalm:

• Thanks 1