NU's 12 year recruiting and results

lo country

On 2/20/2023 at 9:43 AM, JoeHuskers! said:

One thing we will never know, is how Bo would have fared if he would have had the support that from the administration that Frost did. Lots of different factors and its fun to speculate on what could have been with the ball bouncing the other way.

sigh

My biggest what if is T.O. doesn't push WCO Shawn Watson and Ted Gilmore on Pelini's staff and he is able to work towards the spread offense he wanted to earlier.  If the '09 offense is even average with an elite #1 ranked defense in several categories, that team likely only loses one game in the regular season to the late Mike Leach, who owned Bo Pelini.  The trajectory and perception of the program changes completely at 11-1.

• Plus1 3

4 hours ago, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

My biggest what if is T.O. doesn't push WCO Shawn Watson and Ted Gilmore on Pelini's staff and he is able to work towards the spread offense he wanted to earlier.  If the '09 offense is even average with an elite #1 ranked defense in several categories, that team likely only loses one game in the regular season to the late Mike Leach, who owned Bo Pelini.  The trajectory and perception of the program changes completely at 11-1.

Agree we were frustratingly close to an elite season in 2009, but in 2008 the same Shawn Watson had Joe Ganz setting team passing records, and in 2010 he had Taylor Martinez operating a high octane RPO that would continue under other OC's. The problem is that neither Zac Lee or Cody Greene panned out as expected in 2009. 

• Plus1 2
11 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Agree we were frustratingly close to an elite season in 2009, but in 2008 the same Shawn Watson had Joe Ganz setting team passing records, and in 2010 he had Taylor Martinez operating a high octane RPO that would continue under other OC's. The problem is that neither Zac Lee or Cody Greene panned out as expected in 2009. 

I really wish we had the 4-game redshirt rule and could've pulled out some unexpected T-Magic option game in the Big 12 championship game. I don't think he was ready early in the year (and maybe wouldn't have been against Texas), but we just needed one explosive play. And yeah, the timing of the good offenses and great defenses just didn't quite match up.

• Plus1 1
On 2/22/2023 at 6:02 AM, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

Maybe. But he did have a tendency to hire guys with questionable qualifications. His first OC hire might not have done any better than Watson.

Here is a crazy look at the WR position group under Frost.  Talk about a complete disaster...

With Alante Brown entering the transfer portal, 14 of the 17 High School WR recruits in the Frost era left the program with remaining eligibility. Only 1 of those 14 spent more than 2 years on the roster. Only 4 of the 17 caught more than 1 pass. Only 2 of the 17 caught a TD.

https://huskercorner.com/2023/02/21/nebraska-football-wr-recruiting-scott-frost-era/

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, lo country said:

Here is a crazy look at the WR position group under Frost.  Talk about a complete disaster...

With Alante Brown entering the transfer portal, 14 of the 17 High School WR recruits in the Frost era left the program with remaining eligibility. Only 1 of those 14 spent more than 2 years on the roster. Only 4 of the 17 caught more than 1 pass. Only 2 of the 17 caught a TD.

https://huskercorner.com/2023/02/21/nebraska-football-wr-recruiting-scott-frost-era/

At least we now have a qualified, experienced WR coach.

• Haha 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1

On 2/22/2023 at 2:24 AM, 84HuskerLaw said:

I have not seen anyone argue fringe top 25 is “good enough” that I recall.  I think most agree top ten is the target zone.  But some of us feel you don’t go from fringe top 40 classes with bottom forty team results for five consecutive seasons to top ten with the signing of a new HC.  That was only hoped for If Urban Meyer was hired.  He wasn’t and obviously isn’t a HC candidate anywhere. 

We need to recruit better balanced, all around, classes and then play like a team with top 40 talent ((I.e. win 6-8 games at least, not 3 or 4). Show real progress with competitive games vs teams with top 40 talent and defeat the bottom half of the competition consistently.  

Step 1  Was finding a HC with the desire to earn his pay (at least as much of it as any HC actually does anyway).  Hire him and help him recruit and coach the team up so we can actually play top 40 football.  After a couple successful seasons demonstrating that Nebraska has a real HC with winning football in the works, better recruiting results are possible. Perhaps top 20 instead of top 40.

Step 2  Recruit and recruit some more, with renewed vigor, restored facilities, NIL cash, continued Ath Dept support and improve the weakest areas of the team, motivate and play better football.  

Step 3  Over time, the natural order of things can return Neb football to its rightful place as a blue blood top tier, perennial top 10 program.    But this process of restoration is a 3-5 year timeline, minimum.  Even a Cinderella season in 2023 and or 2024 won’t mean the order is restored.

I don’t expect 10 plus wins anytime soon but I do expect the ‘eye test’ and wins and losses and recruiting and development to indicate positive progress, team wide.  One difference maker at QB or WR is fine but not a solution.  Rhule needs to improve every position significantly.  The Raiola obsession crowd may be quite disappointed even if he turns out to be the best QB Nebraska ever had.  I’m not so hopeful I guess but he will be the most ballyhooed one. 

I like the things Rhule has already done in recruiting and he sure talks a good game.  I’ve heard prior coaches say some good things but never follow through.  He and his new staff are working harder than previous ones, per reports and observations.  I had hoped for top 35 recruiting and we did better in just a few weeks.  They’re still bird dogging 2024 & beyond.  They’re bringing in guys by the planes, trains and automobiles!  Many of them appear to be better suited to help the team get better over time.  I think we can safely say Rhule has a plan and he works very hard with focus, details matter greatly, and by all accounts he is honest, sincere, frank and is appears to be happy and excited in his new job.  That’s a great start, imo.  

Ultimately, does he know how to coach a team to win games?   It appears he can assemble staff and players. Can he teach them

the fundamentals and the X & Os stuff?  Can he motivate, encourage and discipline young adults in 2023?   Are they willing and able to play hard and smart and make the sacrifices needed to be teammates not individuals?  Can Rhule judge character as well as speed and toughness?  

Time will tell but so far so good.  

I disagree.

On all of that?  Rhule may sign a top 15 group in Dec ‘23.  Maybe.  But those don’t sign until he proves he can build something first.  This fall he needs to have a winning season of some kind.  He’s got most of the ingredients to start a team but the O line is very ify at this point.  We needed three good transfers with starter ability.  

Obviously, NIL and the tremendous emphasis on recruiting (staff) is amazing.  But this team is a long way from rebuilt or remade.  It will be young in many respects which is promising for the out years.  The track record for Rhule is year 1 is a struggle.  We have a tough schedule as nobody will be intimidated by Neb until we earn that by real power football dominance.  It’s been so long I don’t remember.