Nebrasketball vs Maryland

Mavric

26 minutes ago, whateveritis1224 said:

Its this and the coaching by the assistant coaches. Fred brought the guys who did it at ISU before he left for the NBA, but the college game had passed them by. They got good players, but they didn't have a good team where people knew their roles and played to them. I think the injuries to Gray and Bando are the cause because it put pressure on Keisei to figure things out on the offensive end and allowed Fred to maximize the players he had. I don't think we have the same team if there are no injuries. It'd be great if we could get those guys back now to plug into a rotation that has a better definition on the roles. Blaise is the big man that Nebraska has looked for forever. Walker is good, but he's a better 4 and works better without needing to cover the other teams biggest player.

I hope everyone who can come back, does for next year. Hope that the powers that be can work something out with NIL and international players. I want to watch one more year of Keisei.

I agree with one correction. 

The injuries ALLOWED Tominaga to figure things out on offense. He used to come off the bench and if he missed some shots, he was back in the bench. 

Since the injuries, Fred has been forced to start him and play the entire game. During that stretch, there have been some games where he didn’t score that much in the first half, only to go off in the second half and score a ton. 

Shooters need to be allowed to get into a rhythm and figure out their shot. For some reason, Fred really struggled with letting him do that. But, he left Wilcher out there struggling game after game. 

• Fire 1
  • TBH 3
32 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I agree with one correction. 

The injuries ALLOWED Tominaga to figure things out on offense. He used to come off the bench and if he missed some shots, he was back in the bench. 

Since the injuries, Fred has been forced to start him and play the entire game. During that stretch, there have been some games where he didn’t score that much in the first half, only to go off in the second half and score a ton. 

Shooters need to be allowed to get into a rhythm and figure out their shot. For some reason, Fred really struggled with letting him do that. But, he left Wilcher out there struggling game after game. 

Wilcher played so well at the end last year & the fact Tominago was just a 3 pt. shooter, Fred went with Wilcher.  Regardless of the injuries, Wilcher was going to be replaced by Tominaga who would have definitely showed his whole game.

52 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Wilcher played so well at the end last year & the fact Tominago was just a 3 pt. shooter, Fred went with Wilcher.  Regardless of the injuries, Wilcher was going to be replaced by Tominaga who would have definitely showed his whole game.

Haven’t watched a ton, but Tominaga has shown some versatility that he’s not just a 3-point shooter. He has found many ways to get to the rim and finish. He’s niftier than I imagined.

The back stretch of this season, mixed with the previous seasons of Hoiberg teams has me wondering if he knows how to evaluate his players to put them in position to win consistently. There was a game back in December where a player - perhaps Tominaga - went off for multiple buckets in a short stretch, then a TO on the floor and that player then went to the bench. Is it uncommon to not ride the hot hand?

Hopefully Hoiberg can figure it out and not require another coaching change. 

• Plus1 2

8 hours ago, Savage Husker said:

Haven’t watched a ton, but Tominaga has shown some versatility that he’s not just a 3-point shooter. He has found many ways to get to the rim and finish. He’s niftier than I imagined.

The back stretch of this season, mixed with the previous seasons of Hoiberg teams has me wondering if he knows how to evaluate his players to put them in position to win consistently. There was a game back in December where a player - perhaps Tominaga - went off for multiple buckets in a short stretch, then a TO on the floor and that player then went to the bench. Is it uncommon to not ride the hot hand?

Hopefully Hoiberg can figure it out and not require another coaching change. 

Bit of a stretch.   He did sit Sam after a decent game but they were intending to redshirt him.   In general Fred has almost tried to ride the hot hand to much in years past.   

He is safe through next season for sure.   He might win big ten coach of the year if they can finish strong. 

43 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Bit of a stretch.   He did sit Sam after a decent game but they were intending to redshirt him.   In general Fred has almost tried to ride the hot hand to much in years past.   

He is safe through next season for sure.   He might win big ten coach of the year if they can finish strong. 

Think Northwestern's coach has that pretty much locked up right now.

• TBH 5
53 minutes ago, whateveritis1224 said:

Think Northwestern's coach has that pretty much locked up right now.

I would agree it is Collin's to lose.  With only one home game remaining and games at Illinois, Maryland, and Rutgers, It's not unrealistic to see them losing 3 of the last 4.  When playing at home Maryland is 14-1, Illinois is 12-2, and Rutgers is 13-3.  Can Nebraska win out and then pick up a couple wins in the tournament?  Probably not but if that happens, and NW drop 3 of their last 4 and fizzles in the tournament, I think Fred gets it with roughly equal conference wins.

Lot of IFs but still possible.      

3 hours ago, Hilltop said:

That’s fair. I haven’t watched enough to have a firm opinion, just a little bit from what I’ve seen. 

55 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

Was that before or after they didn’t call the goaltending? Sometimes they let things go a little longer when they too want a call back. 

I believe after but waaay after.  I think both goaltendings were in the first half, as @ECisGod noted.  Pretty sure KT got reaaly upset in the second half, though I can't remember exactly what about right now.