2023 Spring Practice Notes - Offensive Line

Mavric

Disappointed to hear Hood will not be a factor this year.  We definitely need a couple of transfers yet  especially at OT.

There are 8 guys that are locks to be in the 2 deep.   In no order  Scott, Piper, Nouili, Henry, Miller, Turner, Teddy and Benhardt.    If we can't get any transfers who are the next 2 or 3 to complete a 2 deep? 

Jenkins is a scholarship guy.  He may be in the mix at center.   Anybody have info about OL walkon's other than Miller that are possibles?   I am thinking maybe Menning at tackle?  Moses at guard?    It hurts to lose Boerkircher and Stafursky who were good walkon depth.   Will Parrot help us?  

I am not optimistic about true freshmen making the 2 deep at OL, however who has the best shot there to contribute early rather than later in there careers?   Sledge at OG?  Gottula or Knutson at OT?   

(I like Maciejczak on D at NG as I think he could help at NG depth and goal line defense sooner than he would help at OL but he may be forced into OL?   Learning OL takes time. Any thoughts there?)

• Haha 1
On 2/24/2023 at 11:27 AM, Farms said:

For some reason I was thinking he kind of wanted to be guaranteed to play center but maybe that's my imagination.  If that were the case do you think it would be Piper or Nouilli at center?

I remember it too, so not your imagination.  

Although I would be absolutely fine with him at right tackle (*cough, cough, No Benhart, cough, cough*)....  Ben Scott clearly said he came to be the center.  So moving him away from Center after you lure him here is head-scratching IMHO

On December 23rd, 2022:

Again, December 23rd, 2022........

Arizona State OL Ben Scott announces transfer to Nebraska - On3

However, Scott confirmed to HuskerOnline that he will play center at NU in 2023.

“I am a center and will be coming in as a center,” Scott said. “I played tackle in the Pac-12 and moved to center because that is what I will be drafted at, so I am looking to build off of this past season and get at least two years under my belt at center, which will be great for me.”

“Having coach Donovan Raiola (center) as the offensive line coach and being from Hawaii and his brother Dominic (center) being from my high school who I trained with before one spring break. I knew the technique Raiola teaches and how it translates to the field and the NFL,” Scott said of the Raiola family. “It is great to have that Hawaii connection and someone that can relate to me and understand my mindset and goals of going to the next level is great!”

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, admo said:

I remember it too, so not your imagination.  

Although I would be absolutely fine with him at right tackle (*cough, cough, No Benhart, cough, cough*)....  Ben Scott clearly said he came to be the center.  So moving him away from Center after you lure him here is head-scratching IMHO

On December 23rd, 2022:

Again, December 23rd, 2022........

Arizona State OL Ben Scott announces transfer to Nebraska - On3

However, Scott confirmed to HuskerOnline that he will play center at NU in 2023.

“I am a center and will be coming in as a center,” Scott said. “I played tackle in the Pac-12 and moved to center because that is what I will be drafted at, so I am looking to build off of this past season and get at least two years under my belt at center, which will be great for me.”

“Having coach Donovan Raiola (center) as the offensive line coach and being from Hawaii and his brother Dominic (center) being from my high school who I trained with before one spring break. I knew the technique Raiola teaches and how it translates to the field and the NFL,” Scott said of the Raiola family. “It is great to have that Hawaii connection and someone that can relate to me and understand my mindset and goals of going to the next level is great!”

So I am not crazy after all, thanks!

• Oh Yeah! 1
3 hours ago, flatwaterfan said:

Disappointed to hear Hood will not be a factor this year.  We definitely need a couple of transfers yet  especially at OT.

There are 8 guys that are locks to be in the 2 deep.   In no order  Scott, Piper, Nouili, Henry, Miller, Turner, Teddy and Benhardt.    If we can't get any transfers who are the next 2 or 3 to complete a 2 deep? 

Jenkins is a scholarship guy.  He may be in the mix at center.   Anybody have info about OL walkon's other than Miller that are possibles?   I am thinking maybe Menning at tackle?  Moses at guard?    It hurts to lose Boerkircher and Stafursky who were good walkon depth.   Will Parrot help us?  

I am not optimistic about true freshmen making the 2 deep at OL, however who has the best shot there to contribute early rather than later in there careers?   Sledge at OG?  Gottula or Knutson at OT?   

(I like Maciejczak on D at NG as I think he could help at NG depth and goal line defense sooner than he would help at OL but he may be forced into OL?   Learning OL takes time. Any thoughts there?)

Miller as in Ezra Miller? He will never play here.

• Plus1 1

10 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Everyone was saying Hood was going to be a project and wouldn't contribute in 2023, but you refused to listen to it.

Its not that I refuse to listen to it I just feel like Hood can't be so bad that he is just going to sit, when our o-line finally decides to get through with their act in order to improve on past mistakes and he and the players haven't even had spring or fall practice yet to say he can't make progress if any one of our projected starters regress or get injured.  He doesn't even have a redshirt to burn so how does sitting him benefit the team if the team has underperformed for so long???  Also if your going to say he is so far undeveloped that its going to take at least another year to develop I would question that statement bc he is at a good playing weight and he was already learning techniques from the Georgia coaches while he was using his redshirt.  I would think that DR would just try to imply more knowledge on to him.

5 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Its not that I refuse to listen to it I just feel like Hood can't be so bad that he is just going to sit, when our o-line finally decides to get through with their act in order to improve on past mistakes and he and the players haven't even had spring or fall practice yet to say he can't make progress if any one of our projected starters regress or get injured.  He doesn't even have a redshirt to burn so how does sitting him benefit the team if the team has underperformed for so long???  Also if your going to say he is so far undeveloped that its going to take at least another year to develop I would question that statement bc he is at a good playing weight and he was already learning techniques from the Georgia coaches while he was using his redshirt.  I would think that DR would just try to imply more knowledge on to him.

Everything you just wrote is refusing to listen to people in the know saying Hood will be a project.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1

16 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Who are these people in the know??? Media, fans bc certainly you wouldn't think that NU coaches would already rule out playing a kid when we aren't even into spring ball yet.

It doesn't take long for coaches to realize watch S&C drills and say within their inner circles "This kid is still not in good shape (despite losing a lot of weight already) and he still needs to transform his body.  He doesn't have the strength, speed, and agility we need to be a regular contributor, but we still think he is worth keeping him around and see if we can develop him."

The S&C work isn't just weight lifting and running.  It's a lot of drills which mimic the on-field, physical battles which players face in the games.  I haven't seen these drills, but it wouldn't be that much of a leap of faith to think that Hood is really struggling in these "game-type" drills.

• Plus1 1
34 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Who are these people in the know??? Media, fans bc certainly you wouldn't think that NU coaches would already rule out playing a kid when we aren't even into spring ball yet.

Read!  He needs to build strength & refine his pass blocking skills.  This is a kid that got lost at Georgia. He is like any other freshman lineman.  

• Plus1 3
  • 3 weeks later...