2023 Spring Practice Notes - Offensive Line

Mavric

Don't want to talk about our Tackles just yet, but I am mostly curious about our interior O-Line.

Wondering...  Is this the year that Lutovsky takes over at guard and becomes a stud?  Piper seems to be older and more capable in a rotation, and I am not exactly sold on Noeli Nourden (NN).    Because NN started around 6 games in '21 and then missed '22 (suspended).  I like the idea of Ben Scott at Center, but they might just put him at Tackle.  

What I remember from last year that I did like, was that Raiola wasn't shy about pulling starters during games and inserting backups for a few series. Mixing things up. And I am hopeful that will pay off going into this year.

2 minutes ago, admo said:

Don't want to talk about our Tackles just yet, but I am mostly curious about our interior O-Line.

Wondering...  Is this the year that Lutovsky takes over at guard and becomes a stud?  Piper seems to be older and more capable in a rotation, and I am not exactly sold on Noeli Nourden (NN).    Because NN started around 6 games in '21 and then missed '22 (suspended).  I like the idea of Ben Scott at Center, but they might just put him at Tackle.  

What I remember from last year that I did like, was that Raiola wasn't shy about pulling starters during games and inserting backups for a few series. Mixing things up. And I am hopeful that will pay off going into this year.

I'm going to be disappointed if Scott is put at tackle.  Reports were that he struggled at tackle but was pretty good at center.

• TBH 2
4 hours ago, Undone said:

I'm pretty sure there's a good sized portion of our fan base that believes at least one or all of these three things:

1. Frost's offense wasn't "good."

2. Frost's offense was too complicated.

3. Nebraska football would be more successful if we had a power run offense where we just smash in there in the "I" or similar formations, which would need a fullback.

I disagree with all three, but especially the third one. But I'm pretty sure the "bring back the fullback" crowd has roughly those three things in mind.

If not having a fullback is something that helps you win games, it should have worked during the Frost era.

• Haha 2
12 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm going to be disappointed if Scott is put at tackle.  Reports were that he struggled at tackle but was pretty good at center.

Same here my man.  And even Scott said he came to Lincoln to be a Center and that is what he wants to be, with aspirations to be an NFL center.  

7 minutes ago, admo said:

It will be interesting to see how our interior line shakes out but I like our options there.  I think Piper is a guy who still has a chance to be very good and I'm excited to see what he can do under new tutelage.  The other questions is will Corcoran eventually move inside?  And then is he going to be better than Piper and Nouilli?  I think Lutovsky will get snaps but he's just a sophomore so I think he'll remain behind the other guys.  A lot is going to be dictated by whether or not Teddy is healthy and effective.

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, Farms said:

It will be interesting to see how our interior line shakes out but I like our options there.  I think Piper is a guy who still has a chance to be very good and I'm excited to see what he can do under new tutelage.  The other questions is will Corcoran eventually move inside?  And then is he going to be better than Piper and Nouilli?  I think Lutovsky will get snaps but he's just a sophomore so I think he'll remain behind the other guys.  A lot is going to be dictated by whether or not Teddy is healthy and effective.

I get you.  I thought this is Lutovsky's 3rd year, so he should be 20-21 years old and developed.  It is possible that NN and Piper take the reigns.

I am done with Corcoran and Benhardt.  The potential and hope coming out of their freshmen seasons is gone.  They are who they are and haven't gotten better with all that experience on game days.  Coach Raiola has to cut bait with their "years of experience".  

• Plus1 1

Did I misunderstand Rhule in the TA/TO/MR interview where they were talking about the changes to the rules which make it more difficult for option football to be successful because of the new blocking rules? I also think I remember hearing Urban discuss the new blocking rules and saying it effectively ends the option. I've never understood that. Was it something to do with cutting, or how long contact can go downfield? Zone blocking is still permitted, yes? Regardless, all 3 in the interview acknowledged the old ways are over and no longer permitted. (Just wish I knew what "the old ways" was.)

20 minutes ago, The Dude said:

If not having a fullback is something that helps you win games, it should have worked during the Frost era.

Not saying using a fullback won't work, especially here, but there are only about 20 teams left in the FBS that use one.  It isn't like Frost was being a unique and that position, or lack of one, had no bearing on our terrible defensive and special teams play that accounted for so many of the losses.  One could argue it would have gotten us a couple extra first downs on drives where we really needed one but with our horrendous line play I tend to think it wouldn't have mattered at all.   

13 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

Did I misunderstand Rhule in the TA/TO/MR interview where they were talking about the changes to the rules which make it more difficult for option football to be successful because of the new blocking rules? I also think I remember hearing Urban discuss the new blocking rules and saying it effectively ends the option. I've never understood that. Was it something to do with cutting, or how long contact can go downfield? Zone blocking is still permitted, yes? Regardless, all 3 in the interview acknowledged the old ways are over and no longer permitted. (Just wish I knew what "the old ways" was.)

I believe it was TO that made reference to fullback used to be able to lead up on the option and cut a defender that showed up, which isn't allowed anymore.

I don't think that ends the option, it just has to be blocked differently.  

I think the main reason we don't see really any old-school option anymore is because overall team speed on defense has improved so the windows get smaller and teams are doing much more passing now which takes more practice time and leaves less for getting option timing worked on.

• TBH 1

5 hours ago, admo said:

You saying you'll use NN after that attempt (kudos for the try) cracked me up.  Like,  nah, can't write out that name over and over.  :lol:

You were close, Nouredin Nouili.

• Oh Yeah! 1
On 3/27/2023 at 2:46 PM, Hilltop said:

Not saying using a fullback won't work, especially here, but there are only about 20 teams left in the FBS that use one.  It isn't like Frost was being a unique and that position, or lack of one, had no bearing on our terrible defensive and special teams play that accounted for so many of the losses.  One could argue it would have gotten us a couple extra first downs on drives where we really needed one but with our horrendous line play I tend to think it wouldn't have mattered at all.   

That's the thing with wanting do what everyone else does, sure the good teams do it, but so do all the bad teams.

At least we'll never have to hear about that stupid "Duck-R" position ever again.

• Haha 1
  • TBH 1