2023 Spring Practice Notes - Offensive Line

Mavric

11 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Yeah that may be one factor but there are so many other factors as to why he didn't choose us.

Yep....But, if we can have a good O line, we start winning more.  If we start winning more, the coaching staff is viewed as a really good staff.  If they are viewed as a really good staff, there is way less drama around the program.  If there's less drama around the program, there's less negativity.  If there's less negativity....and we are winning...and we have a good staff... a lot of those factors start going away.

• TBH 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

21 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Is that a good thing we are ranked that high?

If the thought process is, "do we have room to improve" then I'd say yes.

It is another indication of just how poor the run blocking has been to date. I'd wager if we were to run a poll today on everyone's biggest concerns at this point, run blocking would rank extremely high.

• Plus1 2

8 minutes ago, brophog said:

I'd wager if we were to run a poll today on everyone's biggest concerns at this point, run blocking would rank extremely high.

Run blocking is probably the #1 concern, but it might take longer to fix. Rushing the passer on defense might be #2 on the list and can probably be fixed much easier (especially with the addition of Sherman).

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, Undone said:

Run blocking is probably the #1 concern, but it might take longer to fix. Rushing the passer on defense might be #2 on the list and can probably be fixed much easier (especially with the addition of Sherman).

And the emergence of Butler.  If those two can set a tone for the defense for the first game against Minnesota and do really well then hopefully that leads to more success for the defense throughout the season.  I don't expect all-american play from the edges but consistent pressure to get to the quarterback to help the defense out.

32 minutes ago, brophog said:

If the thought process is, "do we have room to improve" then I'd say yes.

It is another indication of just how poor the run blocking has been to date. I'd wager if we were to run a poll today on everyone's biggest concerns at this point, run blocking would rank extremely high.

Run blocking is definitely a concern, but I think a big reason for struggling in run blocking is the poor footwork and poor conditioning of the o-linemen.  They just didn't have the athletic ability to fire off the ball, and use their strength and agility to get to blocking targets and overpower them.  Hopefully, as the strength and agility with the o-linemen improves, so does the run blocking.

• Oh Yeah! 1
21 minutes ago, Undone said:

So if the run blocking does improve do you think that Grant should still be the leading running back?  I still think that all his dancing last year wasn't his fault bc as the season progressed the o-line got worse and holes that were there in the beginning part of the season vanished.

If I recall correctly last year coach Don had issues because he wasn't allowed to scheme the blocking how he wanted.  Like he wanted to coach one way and Frost and Whipple were like no no we want it this way.  Don't know if that's true or not but if it is then maybe the line improves in that area.  You would would think a guy who was taught how to run block at Wisconsin would know how to coach it.

• Thanks 1