From Pong to an Esports Program

TGHusker

Nothing tells me how old I am more than this.   I grew up in the era when Pong, the electronic ping pong game, was invented.  My brothers and sisters and I were so excited when we were given the gift of Pong for Christmas

back in the early 1970s.  One had to be a master to manage that bad boy technology :sarcasm   But it was the beginning of what would become a whole new industry and even now a course of study as reflect in the article below.

Here is a picture of that that screen which brought us so much excitement.  Don't get fooled by the simple graphics of a square ball between two paddles.  It was an exciting fast action game at the time!! :D

PONG screenshot (Atari, 1973) - the game of table tennis is ...

"Despise not the days of small beginnings"  Zechariah 4:10   INDEED!

What are your thoughts about the esports program?    Are you a big time gamer?    I am totally clueless on gaming, and it would be neat to hear your stories/experiences.   

We can use this thread for all things esports related. 

https://journalism.unl.edu/news/unls-esports-program-works

The University of Nebraska-Lincoln is launching an interdisciplinary esports program that will offer scholarships, an esports arena and an undergraduate certificate program to enable students to learn and compete in a rapidly growing field. The College of Journalism and Mass Communications is spearheading the efforts.

Shari Veil, dean of the College of Journalism and Mass Communications, is excited about the program’s potential to make UNL an esports powerhouse.

“The university is making a clear commitment to providing students with the skills and experience they need to succeed in the esports industry,” Veil said. “With the launch of this program, UNL is poised to become a leader in the world of esports.”

The program offers an opportunity for students to come together, form a community, and engage in a shared passion for gaming in a centralized location on campus. And for those interested in pursuing a career in the gaming industry, the program offers hands-on experiences in livestream production, broadcasting (known as shoutcasting in esports), digital graphics, event management and more.

"The esports industry is exploding, and we want our students to be part of it," Veil said. "By providing opportunities for students to engage with the industry, we're helping to shape the future of esports and prepare our students for successful careers."

Ahman Green Headshot Ahman Green, CoJMC
Esports Program Director 

With the help of Husker Athletics, CoJMC hired Ahman Green to develop a varsity team and work with the Nebraska Esports Club, which has been active on campus for several years. Green is a former NFL running back and two-time Husker Football national champ who transitioned from professional football to the world of esports. Prior to joining UNL, Green was the head esports coach at Lakeland University in Wisconsin. An avid gamer himself, Green also hosts Ahman GreenTV on Twitch and has competed in several celebrity esports challenges. 

“Green is a natural choice to lead this new esports initiative,” Veil said. “He knows what it takes to succeed in a competitive environment, and he has the leadership skills and experience to build a winning team.”

Green will also teach esports classes as a lecturer in sports media and communication.

"Esports is a rapidly growing industry with a tremendous need for talented professionals," Green said. "I’m looking forward to leading UNL’s esports program and I’m eager to help prepare students for a career in the esports industry."

The centerpiece of the new esports program will be a state-of-the-art esports arena that will be housed in the Nebraska Union. The college is pursuing external funding to support the project. This state-of-the-art arena will house dedicated space for the varsity team to practice and play, along with gaming PCs and console play areas to support both competitive and casual gaming at Nebraska

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1

14 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'll admit that, I just don't get it.  I'm fine if other people love this.  But, I honestly don't get the draw to it.

I hear you.  I feel the same way about the idea of sitting in front of slot machines..  I'd much rather be hiking a trail in the Rockies. 

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'll admit that, I just don't get it.  I'm fine if other people love this.  But, I honestly don't get the draw to it.

At my previous job, we hired a new young guy out of college. (It was a buddy hire - his dad knew our regional president.) Kid was worthless, spoiled little s#!t. He spent every free minute he could find watching YouTube videos of other people playing video games - games that he didn't even play himself. It was just entertainment for him. Super weird to me and everyone else lol 

• Plus1 2

I never was much of a gamer. I too remember when Coleco Pong came out. We thought that was the coolest, and at the time it was. Dabbled in most of the upgrades; Atari 2600, Atari 5200, Nintendo, Intellivision, Sega etc. About the time Playstations came out I was done but my kids picked it up from there. I do still like to get out Wii Sports and do some bowling or tennis or ski jumping and will play some of the Mario games on the Switch.

But this esports thing is beyond me. I don’t get it, watching others play video games….My son does it and he’s pretty good himself at something called League of Legends (at least I think that’s still the game he plays). It amazes me the amount of money some of those players make. I don’t understand the economics of it or how it became monetized. Oh well, guess that’s just more proof I’m an old fart.

• Oh Yeah! 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Agree, don't understand.

But............

Midland using sports to increase enrollment | Sports | norfolkdailynews.com

I think Midland was one of the first to add eSports.

Midland University - 2022-23 Esports (midlandathletics.com)

24 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Agree, don't understand.

But............

Midland using sports to increase enrollment | Sports | norfolkdailynews.com

I think Midland was one of the first to add eSports.

Midland University - 2022-23 Esports (midlandathletics.com)

Like I said....I'm fine with other people enjoying it.  I just can't imagine me spending time watching it.

On 2/24/2023 at 10:59 AM, BigRedBuster said:

What's the reason this whole forum exists? We're not here because we play football ourselves, but because we enjoy watching other people play a game. Same thing with esports - it's all just games that some enjoy watching other people play.

On 2/24/2023 at 2:21 PM, knapplc said:

Nolan Bushnell, the inventor of Pong, was on the Board of the short-lived startup I worked at in California. I have his business card around here somewhere.

He didn't invent it, he just made a commercially successful knockoff of it. He got the idea from the Magnavox Odyssey's table tennis game.

magnavox-odyssey-jugando.jpg

• Plus1 1