Thunderin' Bolts @ Cambria College Classic

Mavric

5 minutes ago, HANC said:

Well, was expecting 1 win, we now have 2, might as well beat another top 5 team. Swinging it well right now.

We got the chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes, might as well get the gravy on top of them!

Sidenote, it's cool to see Dylan Carey come in as a true freshman and be an immediate impact in the lineup in the 2 hole.  My son is playing high school ball right now in Colorado, so it's cool to see Colorado High School players do well at NU.

• Plus1 2

For context: Ole Miss' lineup to start the game had these averages 1-9: .432, .381, .381, .366, .394, .351., .250, .333 and .244. This is freaking insane.

The starter, Caleb Clark, only pitched 2/3 of an inning. The issue was a defensive shift allowed a weak dribbler to turn into a single, and then a bad missed strike 3 call with 2 outs gave a superior hitter a second chance, and Clark probably felt like his only hope was to throw it over the middle of the plate :LOLtartar guess what? That's not gonna work.

I'm not saying that the umpires lost the game for NU. They squeezed Ole Miss pitching, too. But a correct strike call would have ended the inning with 0 runs. It probably could have looked a little prettier with a fair strike zone. But Ole Miss is still better.

Clark, a true freshman, lost his composure a bit, and the 4th-ranked team that has more guys hitting over .350 (!!) than under took advantage. Garza could have cut them off at 5 in the first inning, coming in with 2 outs and the bases loaded, but gave up a bases-clearing double before putting up some donuts to allow Nebraska to cut the lead in half. For some reason, they then pulled Garza, and Worthley gave up 3 runs. That kind of ended it. Perry was just ok (2 runs, only one earned), and then a couple more freshmen finished the game.

It wasn't good, but it isn't an RPI killer either, and that is the best hitting team in America. By a lot.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, Clark got several bad breaks in that game and it is clear he doesn’t quite yet have the answer in tough situations. He has been a bit up and down so far in the early season, his stuff is good though so I am hopeful he learns from an outing like this and matures as we get into conference season. Overall I like the way the team is playing right now. Lots of good things to build on going forward.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
15 hours ago, HuskersNC949597 said:

For context: Ole Miss' lineup to start the game had these averages 1-9: .432, .381, .381, .366, .394, .351., .250, .333 and .244. This is freaking insane.

The starter, Caleb Clark, only pitched 2/3 of an inning. The issue was a defensive shift allowed a weak dribbler to turn into a single, and then a bad missed strike 3 call with 2 outs gave a superior hitter a second chance, and Clark probably felt like his only hope was to throw it over the middle of the plate :LOLtartar guess what? That's not gonna work.

I'm not saying that the umpires lost the game for NU. They squeezed Ole Miss pitching, too. But a correct strike call would have ended the inning with 0 runs. It probably could have looked a little prettier with a fair strike zone. But Ole Miss is still better.

Clark, a true freshman, lost his composure a bit, and the 4th-ranked team that has more guys hitting over .350 (!!) than under took advantage. Garza could have cut them off at 5 in the first inning, coming in with 2 outs and the bases loaded, but gave up a bases-clearing double before putting up some donuts to allow Nebraska to cut the lead in half. For some reason, they then pulled Garza, and Worthley gave up 3 runs. That kind of ended it. Perry was just ok (2 runs, only one earned), and then a couple more freshmen finished the game.

It wasn't good, but it isn't an RPI killer either, and that is the best hitting team in America. By a lot.

Not a Rake Forest guy eh?

https://godeacs.com/documents/2023/2/17/Baseball_Season_Stats.pdf

While watching Nebraska get bombed on Sunday wasn't great, we all would've been tickled with a 2-1 record this weekend.

I hope they're able to get their games in this week. The weather is supposed to be crappy Wednesday so I wonder if they potentially play a DH tomorrow.  Northern Colorado got blasted this weekend at Washington so I'd love to see Nebraska build on their momentum and get the sweep.  This weekend series with Illinois State will be interesting, they are 4-5 this year but they can hit a ton a looks like and they gave Arkansas all they could handle last Wednesday. We might be in store for some wacky games this weekend.

• Oh Yeah! 1