USC and UCLA to the B1G

7 hours ago, Hilltop said:

Not a popular view but what if we just added USC and UCLA.  

Everyone should go back to the SEC additions threads...  Rumors of so many teams joining but in reality it was what it was.  Just what was announced.  

Personally I don't like more Dame or any of the other schools mentioned.  They can keep their self righteous attitude imo.

It is a plenty popular view. In fact, the most popular view is most likely to go back 10 years and keep college football as was. That said, what is happening is obviously big business. As a result, just because the SEC didn't add teams overnight 6 months ago, does not mean it is not going to happen. It absolutely is going to happen. And the reason it is going to happen is because the reality of the business. As mentioned earlier,  nobody is lining up to watch Washington State play Kansas any given Saturday.  That game won't sell, so there is no reason to have it. USC vs Nebraska? Still a huge draw.  Nebraska vs Kansas? Not going to move the needle. So, as Kirk Herbstreit said.. You can make money with the new bloods and the blue bloods. Nebraska lucky to be a blue blood. For now. But, moving forward, the SEC and the Big10 are the only conferences to be in a position to add the best of the best and remain in the money. To think they are not likely to do exactly that is folly. 

• Plus1 1

7 hours ago, Hilltop said:

Not a popular view but what if we just added USC and UCLA.  

Everyone should go back to the SEC additions threads...  Rumors of so many teams joining but in reality it was what it was.  Just what was announced.  

Personally I don't like more Dame or any of the other schools mentioned.  They can keep their self righteous attitude imo.

I have a gut feeling Oregon is in and the Big Ten is waiting on ND to decide who their partner(s) will be.
If ND decides to join, we probably go to 20 with Oregon, Stanford, Washington and wait to see what happens to the ACC.

If ND stays in the ACC we grab Oregon and Washington and call it a day.

If ND goes to the SEC the Big Ten grabs Oregon and Washington and then goes after likes of Virginia, NC, GT, Miami.

The ACC is probably promising their first born to keep ND right now.

25 minutes ago, nic said:

I have a gut feeling Oregon is in and the Big Ten is waiting on ND to decide who their partner(s) will be.
If ND decides to join, we probably go to 20 with Oregon, Stanford, Washington and wait to see what happens to the ACC.

If ND stays in the ACC we grab Oregon and Washington and call it a day.

If ND goes to the SEC the Big Ten grabs Oregon and Washington and then goes after likes of Virginia, NC, GT, Miami.

The ACC is probably promising their first born to keep ND right now.

I still cannot imagine a scenario where the BIG grows to 20 teams and does not take a school from Texas. 

1 minute ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I still cannot imagine a scenario where the BIG grows to 20 teams and does not take a school from Texas. 

AAU is the problem, which leaves only Texas and TAMU. I do not think the other brands left are big enough to overcome the perceived lack of academics. I suppose Texas could back out of their SEC commitment, but I am not sure how that works….and do we want that baggage?

41 minutes ago, nic said:

Seeing this on OSU and MSU sites. Washington is missing.

I think Oregon is a must get. ND draws a lot of eyes for the boomers and some Gen X, but Oregon was the IT team for a lot of the millennial generation. I still find myself tuning in to see how they're doing and what they're wearing.

• Plus1 1

Regarding conference games. I'd be THOROUGHLY disappointed (and I know my emotions don't matter) if there was only 9 games played. The conference is too big to do that and the fact that you'd play some conference schools only 1 time out of every how ever many years is stupid. Especially with TV driving the bus here. No one wants to see crap games, that's why they are loading this up. Prime Time games during all time slots and no snoozers. No one wants to see Nebraska vs Fordham. Hell, no one wants to watch Nebraska vs Buffalo. 

What's the point of being in a conference and only playing USC 1 time in 15 years or whatever it may be? 

If were seriously loading our conferences, everyone needs to throw out ANY traditional way of thinking regarding schedules. My guess is it would be conference or league games only. Which is also why the Kansas State's of the world need to be ridiculously scared.

• Plus1 1

8 minutes ago, IgniteTheSpark said:

Regarding conference games. I'd be THOROUGHLY disappointed (and I know my emotions don't matter) if there was only 9 games played. The conference is too big to do that and the fact that you'd play some conference schools only 1 time out of every how ever many years is stupid. Especially with TV driving the bus here. No one wants to see crap games, that's why they are loading this up. Prime Time games during all time slots and no snoozers. No one wants to see Nebraska vs Fordham. Hell, no one wants to watch Nebraska vs Buffalo. 

What's the point of being in a conference and only playing USC 1 time in 15 years or whatever it may be? 

If were seriously loading our conferences, everyone needs to throw out ANY traditional way of thinking regarding schedules. My guess is it would be conference or league games only. Which is also why the Kansas State's of the world need to be ridiculously scared.

you could see 1 OOC game and rest conference honestly, or a type of spring game vs a smaller school etc. Once these conferences to to the 20-24 range they won't need the NCAA anymore and you could argue they already don't. 

14 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

you could see 1 OOC game and rest conference honestly, or a type of spring game vs a smaller school etc. Once these conferences to to the 20-24 range they won't need the NCAA anymore and you could argue they already don't. 

Really, what is the purpose of the NCAA anymore?  There really isn't any rules they are there to enforce.  I guess they organize and run March Madness and other championships.  But, they have screwed the pooch on football so bad that it's questionable if they are competent enough to keep doing those.

That said, if the NCAA goes away, I wonder what happens to March Madness.

22 minutes ago, IgniteTheSpark said:

There have literally been multiple examples posted and discussed where you'd play everyone every three years, even up to 20 teams in the conference.

• Plus1 2
Just now, BigRedBuster said:

Really, what is the purpose of the NCAA anymore?  There really isn't any rules they are there to enforce.  I guess they organize and run March Madness and other championships.  But, they have screwed the pooch on football so bad that it's questionable if they are competent enough to keep doing those.

That said, if the NCAA goes away, I wonder what happens to March Madness.

I don't think the NCAA would go away.  They just wouldn't have jurisdiction over major conference football anymore.

• Mavric changed the title to USC and UCLA to the B1G