USC and UCLA to the B1G

I have seen multiple articles from talking heads making the “bold” prediction that more PAC12 teams will be added to the Big10 before the end of this season so they can join with USC and UCLA. 

https://www.si.com/college/byu/football/brett-mcmurphy-foresees-further-big-ten-and-big-12-expansion

https://www.si.com/college/byu/football/brett-mcmurphy-foresees-further-big-ten-and-big-12-expansion

• Plus1 1

13 minutes ago, nic said:

I have seen multiple articles from talking heads making the “bold” prediction that more PAC12 teams will be added to the Big10 before the end of this season so they can join with USC and UCLA. 

I miss the days of stable conferences where traditions and rivalries have been played for decades.  However, that's long past.

So, if we are going to go down this road, go B1G or go home.  I say go for it.  Get to 20 or 24 teams of major college programs and change college football away from just being dominated in the south east.  

• Plus1 1

On 8/17/2022 at 3:49 PM, BigRedBuster said:

Very interesting info.

I wish I could see the data on all the teams from the first slide.  Also, why the hell do they have ND in the ACC?  This is supposed to be for college FOOTBALL....for which, they are an independent.  

It's cool stuff but... anyone else having trouble believing our fan base is smaller than Missouri's? Their stadium has always been far smaller than ours, and our games get better time slots which I assume is because we pull in higher viewership. This one doesn't pass the sniff test for me. aTm, Texas, and Oklahoma having bigger fan bases, I can believe.

• Plus1 2
5 hours ago, Moiraine said:

It's cool stuff but... anyone else having trouble believing our fan base is smaller than Missouri's? Their stadium has always been far smaller than ours, and our games get better time slots which I assume is because we pull in higher viewership. This one doesn't pass the sniff test for me. aTm, Texas, and Oklahoma having bigger fan bases, I can believe.

Yes

With the talk of Oregon and Washington ' in talks wt Big 10' and Stanford and Cal being possible additions plus the continued talk about Norte Dame, I'd like to 

see the following.   4 pods of 6 teams

West Region:

Pacific DIVISION: 

UCLA, USC, OR, WASH, CAL, STANFORD

PLAINS DIVISION

NEBRASKA, IOWA, MINI, WISCY, NW, ILL

EAST REGION:

LAKES DIVISION

OSU, MICH, MSU, PURDUE, INDY, N.DAME

ATLANTIC DIVISION

PSU, RUTGERS, MARYLAND, MIAMI, GEORGIA TECH, VIRGINIA TECH (or NC State or one of the 4 below that are rumored targets of the SEC)   -  

(assumption that SEC gets FSU, Clemson, NC, Virginia and somehow breaks the contractional barriers wt the ACC Grant of Rights)

Nebraska would play everyone in its division yearly (5 games) and 3 from the Pacific Division (cycling through every team every 2 years).  They would also play 2 from the Lakes Div and 2 from the Atlantic division (cycling through every team every 3 years).  - thus 12 games all in conference play. 

This would give the Big 10 a truly national foot print for both TV, Streaming rights and for recruiting.  It would get the BIG 10 into the hot recruiting areas of the south where the SEC currently dominates.  

7 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

With the talk of Oregon and Washington ' in talks wt Big 10' and Stanford and Cal being possible additions plus the continued talk about Norte Dame, I'd like to 

West Region:

Pacific DIVISION: 

PLAINS DIVISION

EAST REGION:

LAKES DIVISION

ATLANTIC DIVISION

PSU, RUTGERS, MARYLAND, MIAMI, GEORGIA TECH, VIRGINIA TECH (or NC State or one of the 4 below that are rumored targets of the SEC)   -  

(assumption that SEC gets FSU, Clemson, NC, Virginia and somehow breaks the contractional barriers wt the ACC Grant of Rights)

Nebraska would play everyone in its division yearly (5 games) and 3 from the Pacific Division (cycling through every team every 2 years).  They would also play 2 from the Lakes Div and 2 from the Atlantic division (cycling through every team every 3 years).  - thus 12 games all in conference play. 

This would give the Big 10 a truly national foot print for both TV, Streaming rights and for recruiting.  It would get the BIG 10 into the hot recruiting areas of the south where the SEC currently dominates.  

Wouldn't North Carolina and Virginia be in play [and better options than Miami and Georgia Tech] to get the AAU stuff if possible?

45 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

West Region:

Pacific DIVISION: 

PLAINS DIVISION

EAST REGION:

LAKES DIVISION

ATLANTIC DIVISION

In that scenario B1G teams go from 7-8 home games per year to 6.  That will never happen.  No way schools like Nebraska are going to give up the 10+ million for each home game lost.  The financial impact to the outside schools that depend on playing one of the big teams early each season would also be devastating.  Some of those schools can only afford to have a program because of the 1-2 million dollars they are paid to go get their butts kicked as a warm up for teams like Ohio State.   

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to USC and UCLA to the B1G