USC and UCLA to the B1G

Need to fill-in empty cells.  What's the holdup anyway?

BIzjHG2.png

I assume no B1G divisions .....

I like WEST/EAST divisions. 

WEST: Huskers, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, NW, Illini, USC and UCLA.

EAST: Purdue, tOSU, Hoosiers, Michigan, MSU, Penn St, Rutgers and Terps

You remember Legends-Leaders ??

LEGENDS: Huskers, Iowa, Minnesota, NW, Michigan and Michigan St.

LEADERS: Wisconsin, Purdue, tOSU, Hoosiers, Illini and Ped St

https://schersdd.tripod.com/sig2012.html

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm.... anyone here know anything about this?

"California currently bans travel to the following states: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah and West Virginia.

Wonder if this has to be considered in at least the first schedule release? Indiana/Iowa/Ohio all no go states... Hmmm <_<

4 hours ago, Loebarth said:

I had no idea california had done this.. Sadly, according another article, San Diego State's travel to Texas for the final 4 is being paid by the ncaa. 

The NCAA pays for all "championship" travel as a way to ensure that poor school athletes still get to compete. At least for D1. Don't recall if it was for all levels. 

On 3/30/2023 at 9:39 PM, zeWilbur said:

The NCAA pays for all "championship" travel as a way to ensure that poor school athletes still get to compete. At least for D1. Don't recall if it was for all levels. 

They reimburse up to a certain amount, they don't pay upfront for it, and only allow a certain amount for the travel party, depending on sport.  It'll take 3-4 months for the Final 4 teams to get all the paperwork submitted and reimbursed by the NCAA.

• 2 weeks later...

7 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

Hopefully better than that tennis guy in the PAC12

6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

He has a lot of experience in media, as well.  Plus, if NIL ever shifts to a "school-employee" model, it would easiest if it was done at the conference level, so he could have experience negotiating with labor groups and "pro athletes".

My thought was more about if he would make baseball more of a priority in the conference than it is now.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

My thought was more about if he would make baseball more of a priority in the conference than it is now.

It is the next logical sport to "make big" but the question is how?

I almost think that College Baseball is at the peak.  CWS is obviously huge, in Omaha, not sure about ratings.  But regular season games just don't seem to generate much interest.  

https://www.si.com/college/clemson/baseball/clemson-ranks-inside-top-15-in-baseball-attendance

I would guess, without looking it up, that the other schools in the Big Ten don't even get fan attendance over 500 per game.

3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

It is the next logical sport to "make big" but the question is how?

I almost think that College Baseball is at the peak.  CWS is obviously huge, in Omaha, not sure about ratings.  But regular season games just don't seem to generate much interest.  

https://www.si.com/college/clemson/baseball/clemson-ranks-inside-top-15-in-baseball-attendance

I would guess, without looking it up, that the other schools in the Big Ten don't even get fan attendance over 500 per game.

I don't think it would ever be as big as basketball or football.  But, the Big Ten Network sure could promote it more.  Maybe show more games?  If I remember correctly, there was some frustration the last few years where the Network didn't even feature or mention teams that were in the post season.

How do you increase attendance?  You get people interested in the team. How do you get them interested in the team? You show them more on TV.

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It won't.  The new commissioner is going to work for the AD's and school presidents.  Big Ten AD's and school presidents don't make baseball a priority.

Frankly, it's very difficult for Big Ten schools to attract the talent to be competitive with the schools in the south.  This goes beyond the SEC, ACC, and Big 12.  The "lower level" schools in the South have better baseball teams because they have more talent and depth.

D1 baseball players care very little about academics, so they want to go to a school that they can play baseball (outside) nearly year-round.  Playing D1 college baseball in cold-weather states would suck.  That's the biggest thing holding back Big Ten baseball.