Transfer Szn 2023

10 minutes ago, Red Five said:

He was a starter on a B1G team that made the NCAA tournament, so I guess so?

Based on what I saw if Iowa last year, I'm not sure if he's better than the options we already had.  Maybe better ball security but he doesn't seem to drive to the hoop or shoot 3's.  He started, but only played 22.5 min/game.  If we are only expecting 20-ish minutes/game, then OK.  If we are expecting him to put in starter minutes (at least 30), then I don't see it.

1 hour ago, ECisGod said:

Based on what I saw if Iowa last year, I'm not sure if he's better than the options we already had.  Maybe better ball security but he doesn't seem to drive to the hoop or shoot 3's.  He started, but only played 22.5 min/game.  If we are only expecting 20-ish minutes/game, then OK.  If we are expecting him to put in starter minutes (at least 30), then I don't see it.

It's not a must that he shoots threes and drives. I will be happy if he facilitates the offense, gets the ball to the right people, and doesn't turn it over! Theoretically we have other shooters, especially if Tomanaga comes back; but Fred has never had a true point guard in his Husker tenure.

3 hours ago, ECisGod said:

Keep in mind,  Joe Toussaint transferred to West Virginia this year.  He was essentially Ulis in his career at iowa.  He started 21 games his last year at Iowa and averaged 17 minutes and 4 ppg...

At West Virginia, he started 1 game, averaged 21 minutes and shot 80 points better from 3, doubled his scoring output to about 9.5 ppg...not a star, but a solid player, far better than at iowa.  

I'm giving this a wait and see approach.   McCaffrey tends to bury his point guards.  Ulis could be something...or he could be what he's always been.  Either way, he's a P5 PG with B1G experience.  We didn't have that before today. 

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, Comish said:

It's not a must that he shoots threes and drives. I will be happy if he facilitates the offense, gets the ball to the right people, and doesn't turn it over! Theoretically we have other shooters, especially if Tomanaga comes back; but Fred has never had a true point guard in his Husker tenure.

He has to do something other than just facilitate the offense otherwise there is no reason to guard him.  Most teams just ignored him on the offensive end of the floor because they knew he wasn't much of a threat for all three years at Iowa.  I'm not saying he has to score 15 points per game, but he has to be some kind of threat or we will essentially be playing 4 on 5 on the offensive end of the floor.

• TBH 2

40 minutes ago, ECisGod said:

He has to do something other than just facilitate the offense otherwise there is no reason to guard him.  Most teams just ignored him on the offensive end of the floor because they knew he wasn't much of a threat for all three years at Iowa.  I'm not saying he has to score 15 points per game, but he has to be some kind of threat or we will essentially be playing 4 on 5 on the offensive end of the floor.

You need to consider the offense he came from.  He took roughly 70 3 pt. Shoots & made 30% the whole yr.  He had other visits scheduled, but committed this weekend.  Hoiberg is going to give him more freedom that he never had in iowa. Plus his assist to TO ratio was 2 to 1 last year.  Our team was a little over 1 to 1.  He is not a guaranteed starter, but adds much needed depth at the point.

17 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

You need to consider the offense he came from.  He took roughly 70 3 pt. Shoots & made 30% the whole yr.  He had other visits scheduled, but committed this weekend.  Hoiberg is going to give him more freedom that he never had in iowa. Plus his assist to TO ratio was 2 to 1 last year.  Our team was a little over 1 to 1.  He is not a guaranteed starter, but adds much needed depth at the point.

I hope he proves me wrong, but I don't think he is the solution at PG.  Yes, his TO ratio was almost 2:1, but he only averaged an assist every 10.7 minutes on a team that scored 80 points per game. 

Iowa's assist to TO ratio was about 1.7:1 and if you remove Connor McCaffery who lead the country in assist to TO ratio multiple times it was 1.4:1.

I think he can be a depth piece, but to expect him to be a true starting PG is not something I see.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, ECisGod said:

Agree with that