2023 Spring Practice Notes - Running Backs

I would love to see Ervin stay healthy and get some carries.   Not a huge sample size, but he's been productive when he's gotten his chances.  Rhule had me fired up when talking about being one of the fastest guys one the team at 221lbs and using him as a battering ram to close games.

• Fire 2
10 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Not a huge sample size, but he's been productive when he's gotten his chances. 

He has?  He's had 57 carries for 218 yards (3.8 ypc) over 2 years.  As a starter in 2021 he averaged 3.4 ypc.  His best game was playing against OU's backups in garbage time last year (7 carries, 60 yards, 8.6 ypc).

I think its safe to say the book is still out on him.

• Plus1 7

31 minutes ago, Red Five said:

He has?  He's had 57 carries for 218 yards (3.8 ypc) over 2 years.  As a starter in 2021 he averaged 3.4 ypc.  His best game was playing against OU's backups in garbage time last year (7 carries, 60 yards, 8.6 ypc).

I think its safe to say the book is still out on him.

I think it's safe to say Ervin still has a lot to prove.  I may be overrating his 2021 year, and yes he struggled in his first start against Illinois, but had a decent game against Buffalo (56 yards on 10 carries) and while his stats didn't show much against OU, I thought he was starting to do things against OU before he got injured.  Last year was going to be tough for him, as he was coming back from a torn ACL.  Plus, for whatever reason, Held liked him at RB, while Applewhite preferred his guys.  Now with the new coaching staff, Ervin has a chance to impress them, and he seems to be doing that in the offseason.  Yes, there is still a long ways to go.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think it's safe to say Ervin still has a lot to prove.  I may be overrating his 2021 year, and yes he struggled in his first start against Illinois, but had a decent game against Buffalo (56 yards on 10 carries) and while his stats didn't show much against OU, I thought he was starting to do things against OU before he got injured.  Last year was going to be tough for him, as he was coming back from a torn ACL.  Plus, for whatever reason, Held liked him at RB, while Applewhite preferred his guys.  Now with the new coaching staff, Ervin has a chance to impress them, and he seems to be doing that in the offseason.  Yes, there is still a long ways to go.

You seem higher on Ervin then Grant even though Grant was the top juco running back.  Yes I know he did dance but he also gained 900+ yards.  Don't know if Ervin would have gained that much last year even if he was healthy or starting.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

You seem higher on Ervin then Grant even though Grant was the top juco running back.  Yes I know he did dance but he also gained 900+ yards.  Don't know if Ervin would have gained that much last year even if he was healthy or starting.

I'm one heck of a lot higher on Ervin right now because he's obviously worked his a$$ off in the offseason and done what he needs to do to be on the field, practicing and trying to make the team better.

Grant....not so much.

• Plus1 4
  • TBH 1
Just now, BigRedBuster said:

I'm one heck of a lot higher on Ervin right now because he's obviously worked his a$$ off in the offseason and done what he needs to do to be on the field, practicing and trying to make the team better.

Grant....not so much.

I understand why alot of people would be higher on Ervin then Grant rn.  As a player and contributor to the teams success yes, but as a pure running back no.  I want to see Grant get his act together bc I feel he is a better running back.

• Haha 1
15 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I don't really have an opinion too high of Grant or Ervin.  I thought Allen was showing to be a very good back last year, before his injury.  I am just of the opinion that if Grant doesn't do what is necessary to come back to the team, it's not a huge loss.  IMO, he is replaceable.  If Rhule is trying to establish a new culture, then all of the players need to be in-line with that culture.  Sounds like Ervin has bought in and excelled from it, and Grant hasn't.  It's way too early to tell if that means Ervin will be the better RB in the games this fall.

• Plus1 3

I don't care about previous stats, but Gabe Ervin appeared to me like the best RB of the crew.  The same defenses that got to Grant in the backfield, Ervin played it like Rex did and made positive tough yards out of nothing.  The tape is there.  I saw plenty of consistency in how he runs the ball. Hits the hole, plays with physicality, has better vision and balance, and can make moves in the open field.  Grant has the best moves, but that is where he is limited.

Anybody can look good on one or two plays, but this conference needs tough, physical RBs that can wear a defense down.  Would have been nice to see Ajay Allen in big ten play.  Thought he was obviously a great 2nd back.  

I'm all in on Gabe Irvin.  Will be great to see how time will tell.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
8 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

It seemed to me that Grant's production diminished with stronger competition. Part of that can be attributed to O-line play. I think that he's a bit over-rated. Maybe there's still some things he can improve upon yet. I get the impression that he wants to bust a run mentally and he needs to adjust his game to the shorter runs too. 

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, admo said:

I don't care about previous stats, but Gabe Ervin appeared to me like the best RB of the crew.  The same defenses that got to Grant in the backfield, Ervin played it like Rex did and made positive tough yards out of nothing.  The tape is there.  I saw plenty of consistency in how he runs the ball. Hits the hole, plays with physicality, has better vision and balance, and can make moves in the open field.  Grant has the best moves, but that is where he is limited.

Anybody can look good on one or two plays, but this conference needs tough, physical RBs that can wear a defense down.  Would have been nice to see Ajay Allen in big ten play.  Thought he was obviously a great 2nd back.  

I'm all in on Gabe Irvin.  Will be great to see how time will tell.

Gabe's been a little bit behind the eight ball for some time now. Then the injury. I'd throw out last season pretty much altogether. I'd say that there were some things that he definitely needed to work on. Being injured limited that to some extent. Always regarded him highly. He's matured and is looking great. I think he could grow into being a dependable back for us. I just can recall how well his pass blocking was. That's an important element to all of this too. Also looking forward to seeing what Allen can do. 

• Plus1 1