2023 Spring Practice Notes - Running Backs

1 hour ago, M.A. said:

It seemed to me that Grant's production diminished with stronger competition. Part of that can be attributed to O-line play. I think that he's a bit over-rated. Maybe there's still some things he can improve upon yet. I get the impression that he wants to bust a run mentally and he needs to adjust his game to the shorter runs too. 

He definitely can improve on pass blocking.  But there was numerous things that contributed to his production diminishing by the end of the season.  For me the o-line play plus play calling contributed to him not gaining 1000 yards.

• Fire 1

4 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

He definitely can improve on pass blocking.  But there was numerous things that contributed to his production diminishing by the end of the season.  For me the o-line play plus play calling contributed to him not gaining 1000 yards.

Yeah, there were a number of contributing factors. The cohesiveness hasn't been there. 

When the bullets are flying, Gabe Ervin cannot see the hole. He has about as bad of vision that I have seen from our Rb's in a long time. If this staff doesn't get in their own way, it's Ajay and Rahmir. If Grant gets his stuff together, then throw him in obviously. The biggest mistake will be not finding a role for Rahmir. I've seen enough from Gabe. Trust me, I like his build the most and would love for him to be a guy but I dont see it. 

• Plus1 1
25 minutes ago, Vince R. said:

When the bullets are flying, Gabe Ervin cannot see the hole. He has about as bad of vision that I have seen from our Rb's in a long time. If this staff doesn't get in their own way, it's Ajay and Rahmir. If Grant gets his stuff together, then throw him in obviously. The biggest mistake will be not finding a role for Rahmir. I've seen enough from Gabe. Trust me, I like his build the most and would love for him to be a guy but I dont see it. 

Gonna have to disagree Vince. Has it been Gabe's vision or, more of an issue with his ability to respond how he needs to with what he sees? I think that we're going to see better cuts from him. Ajay, Rahmir and Ervin are all going to be competing for the lead role in my opinion. I do think how Rahmir is utilized will be key. 

1 hour ago, M.A. said:

Gonna have to disagree Vince. Has it been Gabe's vision or, more of an issue with his ability to respond how he needs to with what he sees? I think that we're going to see better cuts from him. Ajay, Rahmir and Ervin are all going to be competing for the lead role in my opinion. I do think how Rahmir is utilized will be key. 

This is my theory on him. I think he is an excellent practice player. I know guys in sports who can really look good in practice because they're good in simulated scenarios. Gabe Ervin really struggles to make a good first step and go. Aside from a few mis direction carries against OU two years ago, he looked really bad. Then scrawny Rahmir comes in and breaks off 17 yard gains while carrying guys. He needs to be a gamer and he hasn't proven he can be yet. 

• Plus1 1

20 hours ago, Red Five said:

He has?  He's had 57 carries for 218 yards (3.8 ypc) over 2 years.  As a starter in 2021 he averaged 3.4 ypc.  His best game was playing against OU's backups in garbage time last year (7 carries, 60 yards, 8.6 ypc).

I think its safe to say the book is still out on him.

I won't judge his ypc too harshly because he clearly had no business going into the season as RB1 as a true freshman.   Add it to the long list of Frost's mismanagement.  

He did okay against Buffalo and Oklahoma and that's about the entire sample size.  If anything he should be fresh.  

• Fire 1
9 hours ago, Vince R. said:

There is no way Ervin has worse vision than RBs over the previous several years.  I was so sick of seeing RBs run through a hole.  All they have to do is make one cut and there's open field....only to see them run into the back of their O lineman that is actually blocking someone.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1

52 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I think everyone should be hoping Ajay Allen is RB1.  Rahmir has some good skills to contribute also, but forget Grant, Ervin etc, I want to see Allen take this and run with it. 

I agree with this thought.  Allen looked like he was ready to contribute in a major way last year until his shoulder injury.

12 hours ago, Vince R. said:

Grant was the absolute WORST at this

Grant got worse with regressed line play (this is extremely obvious I know). Dude not only couldn’t find a hole but committed the worst cardinal sin of all (next to fumbling as a back). Runs East to West instead of N to S. You could tell he really didn’t trust his blocking as the season went on and became unsure of himself and tried to do too much. Needs to take what the defense gives him. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

I think it's really tough to takeaway much of anything from the last few years of running backs, or to project out how things will look for 2023. Grant seemed to have the most potential last year at times, but inconsistent running back play was part of the poor mixed cocktail that included poor o-line play and big coaching challenges.

I think we've all beat this horse for years, but it'd be nice to have a really good o-line again, if not for the sole purpose of being a bit of an equalizer to help determine where the RB's need to improve.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2