2023 Spring Practice Notes - Running Backs

On 3/20/2023 at 10:39 AM, Red Five said:

He has?  He's had 57 carries for 218 yards (3.8 ypc) over 2 years.  As a starter in 2021 he averaged 3.4 ypc.  His best game was playing against OU's backups in garbage time last year (7 carries, 60 yards, 8.6 ypc).

I think its safe to say the book is still out on him.

Probably.  Though our O-Line would've made Barry Sanders look like a 4th team all B1G

I agree with @Red Five that the book is still out on Ervin. I'd actually lean more towards "I doubt he does anything above average at NU" at this point.

I'd also say that Grant regressed on a personal level as the season wore on and I don't think I can give him too much benefit of the doubt with the line play being that much worse down the stretch. You either fight for yardage or you don't, and for me the eyeball test said he wasn't fighting for yards in the back half like he was in the first half.

Hoping Allen is a standout mainly because he's a young guy and could really stand out by the time he's a junior.

42 minutes ago, Undone said:

I agree with @Red Five that the book is still out on Ervin. I'd actually lean more towards "I doubt he does anything above average at NU" at this point.

I'd also say that Grant regressed on a personal level as the season wore on and I don't think I can give him too much benefit of the doubt with the line play being that much worse down the stretch. You either fight for yardage or you don't, and for me the eyeball test said he wasn't fighting for yards in the back half like he was in the first half.

Hoping Allen is a standout mainly because he's a young guy and could really stand out by the time he's a junior.

Just curious why you think we would need to wait 2 more years before Allen is a standout running back?  History has shown that if a guy is an above-average RB, he can have good/great years early in their careers.  Allen redshirted last season, so if he's going to be any good, I would expect him to show that in 2023 or 2024.

• Plus1 1
23 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Just curious why you think we would need to wait 2 more years before Allen is a standout running back?  History has shown that if a guy is an above-average RB, he can have good/great years early in their careers.  Allen redshirted last season, so if he's going to be any good, I would expect him to show that in 2023 or 2024.

Oh sorry - No, I think he could be great even here in 2023. I just meant that he's young and could give us 4 more years (or maybe just 3 if he's amazing and goes pro) of standout play, potentially. So for that reason partially I'd love for him to just be "the guy" starting this year.

• Plus1 3
Just now, Undone said:

Oh sorry - No, I think he could be great even here in 2023. I just meant that he's young and could give us 4 more years (or maybe just 3 if he's amazing and goes pro) of standout play, potentially. So for that reason partially I'd love for him to just be "the guy" starting this year.

Sounds good.  I figured you may have forgot he was able to get a redshirt season last year.  I too would like Allen to be "the guy", but from Rhule's days at Baylor, Rhule hasn't used one back to get the bulk of the carries.

Realizing part of it was last year’s poor OL play, Anthony Grant will have to get out of the habit of dancing around so much. He will have to crash forward, or he may go down the charts behind Ervin and Allen. I don’t think Rhule will play a guy who doesn’t run tough. Even R Johnson runs tough for a smaller back.  

On 3/20/2023 at 9:23 PM, Vince R. said:

When the bullets are flying, Gabe Ervin cannot see the hole. He has about as bad of vision that I have seen from our Rb's in a long time. If this staff doesn't get in their own way, it's Ajay and Rahmir. If Grant gets his stuff together, then throw him in obviously. The biggest mistake will be not finding a role for Rahmir. I've seen enough from Gabe. Trust me, I like his build the most and would love for him to be a guy but I dont see it. 

Wrong.  But there is still time for you to come around :)

On 3/20/2023 at 11:25 PM, Vince R. said:

This is my theory on him. I think he is an excellent practice player. I know guys in sports who can really look good in practice because they're good in simulated scenarios. Gabe Ervin really struggles to make a good first step and go. Aside from a few mis direction carries against OU two years ago, he looked really bad. Then scrawny Rahmir comes in and breaks off 17 yard gains while carrying guys. He needs to be a gamer and he hasn't proven he can be yet. 

Not a solid theory.  There is still time for you to come around :)

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
On 3/20/2023 at 10:23 AM, BigRedBuster said:

I'm one heck of a lot higher on Ervin right now because he's obviously worked his a$$ off in the offseason and done what he needs to do to be on the field, practicing and trying to make the team better.

Grant....not so much.

222lbs !... no longer a true freshman on the field...  Determined... and finally healthy. 

If you need 2-3 yards in the big ten, and then do it again, and again, and again and then break one...  It is better than losing 3 yards bouncing around in the backfield.

I mean, if he had on a Penn State uniform, or Michigan uniform, or Minnesota or Ohio State uniform....  

Time will tell.  But I believe that Gabe Ervin gonna put in the work this Spring, Summer and Fall... and prove himself.   

I am sooo glad he's a Husker.  :)

image.thumb.png.9cfe2a3a8400c99dffde9bb04e73af7e.png

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2