2023 Spring Practice Notes - Running Backs

28 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

Call me crazy, probably am but honestly, my gut is telling RJ will be used more than any other back. RJ has always ran with aggression, not a dancer, a north/south runner that isn't afraid of contact and I think because of that we'll see a lot of RJ. I like Grant a bunch too and Allen, if RJ and Grant can handle the load might be redshirted. 

For all the great traits you say about RJ the biggest knock on him is his size to be a every down back.  He is 5'10 and weights 185 pounds and he has been giving the opportunity to be the lead guy and he never took it and got injured as well.

If Grant would learn to run downhill and be willing to take a hit versus all his dancing, he could be very good. Allen needs to get motivated, or he will sit. Ervin hopefully shows more explosiveness on the field now with his conditioning. I could see Ervin line up mainly at I back and some at fullback. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1

3 hours ago, Red Five said:

Mikale Wilbon!

With him plus a few highly rated OL recruits that year, I thought we'd have a pretty solid ground game building. Yeah, not so much...

2 hours ago, Pedro G said:

If Grant would learn to run downhill and be willing to take a hit versus all his dancing, he could be very good. Allen needs to get motivated, or he will sit. Ervin hopefully shows more explosiveness on the field now with his conditioning. I could see Ervin line up mainly at I back and some at fullback. 

Grant had 218 carriers last year, so I think most people already know his strengths and weaknesses.   And pass-pro was not one of them.  Nor was downhill running (power).  Shiftiness and some quickness, yes.  

Allen had 33 carries.  Ervin 20.  Rahmir 19.  Even Yant had just 20 and he's gone.  

I think the top 2 guys for this position is super wide-open.  And hopefully the staff utilizes them better than last year (collectively).  Non-conf games are sunshine games against easier competition mostly, in contrast when you are facing the physical style Big Ten rush-defenses.  Like I said, it will be interesting to see who takes the top 2 spots by time Fall ball settles it.  

Rahmir has been getting some reps in the slot again. TBH, I feel like he's just gonna end up being one of those in-betweener guys with no real position. Barring injuries, it doesn't seem likely that he'll be a starter at any position.

https://247sports.com/college/nebraska/Article/Nebraska-Huskers-running-back-Rahmir-Johnson-fresh-outlook-discusses-Matt-Rhules-staff-207493211/

11 hours ago, Toe said:

Rahmir has been getting some reps in the slot again. TBH, I feel like he's just gonna end up being one of those in-betweener guys with no real position. Barring injuries, it doesn't seem likely that he'll be a starter at any position.

https://247sports.com/college/nebraska/Article/Nebraska-Huskers-running-back-Rahmir-Johnson-fresh-outlook-discusses-Matt-Rhules-staff-207493211/

I have more hope for him contributing this year - this staff has been big on the "positionless offense," so I expect most of the RBs to get some slot reps. The move under Frost really felt like Whipple/Applewhite said he was too small for RB, so they threw him over to WR to pretend he might play there. I don't think he'll be a starter either, but he's made plays when he's in and I think could thrive in a 5-10 touch per game role. 

11 hours ago, Toe said:

Because of injuries FYI. He’s not a bad back. Just not better than what’s in front of him. I bet he sees the field more than last year but is mostly a special teams guy. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
On 3/27/2023 at 2:06 PM, ColoradoHusk said:

It's the fullback infatuation transferred to the big-back infatuation.  Sipple never helped things from his LJS perch.  That guy loves the big-back.

The NFL tends to have a big-back infatuation too.   For example, only 3 guys hit 1,500 yards last season.  All 3 guys are 220+.  Derrick Henry is closer to 250.  Do you think the league's infatuation is because of some Nebraska sports writer they never heard of, or is it because bigger, stronger, faster guys tend to be more successful at the position?