2023 Spring Practice Notes - Running Backs

7 hours ago, The Dude said:

It was reasonable to wonder why Yant wasn't getting more carries after giving a struggling offense a spark.  I think it was because he did well when he did get carries and not because he was big.

Chubby Purdy averaged more yards per carry than Yant last year.  He probably should have been getting more carries.  Also, not all that big.

Yant didn't even have all that great of a game against Northwestern.  He had one great carry - nearly twice as long as the next longest carry of his career.  The rest of the game he averaged a little over five yards per carry.  That's a nice number but not exactly setting the world on fire as the best game of your career.  

In 2021, he had over one third of his yards for the season on TWO CARRIES.  So I guess if you're going to count those two carries as a "spark", then go right ahead.  He had more games in his career averaging under three yards per carry than over five yards per carry.  That's straining pretty hard to find a "spark."

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
13 hours ago, Mavric said:

Chubby Purdy averaged more yards per carry than Yant last year.  He probably should have been getting more carries.  Also, not all that big.

Yant didn't even have all that great of a game against Northwestern.  He had one great carry - nearly twice as long as the next longest carry of his career.  The rest of the game he averaged a little over five yards per carry.  That's a nice number but not exactly setting the world on fire as the best game of your career.  

In 2021, he had over one third of his yards for the season on TWO CARRIES.  So I guess if you're going to count those two carries as a "spark", then go right ahead.  He had more games in his career averaging under three yards per carry than over five yards per carry.  That's straining pretty hard to find a "spark."

Which runningbacks had a better game that year?

13 hours ago, Mavric said:

Some fans think Yant was DeAngelo Evans and Dan Alexander all in one.  His legend grows and grows.

• Haha 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/21/2023 at 8:06 AM, admo said:

I don't want to dogpile here, but I have to say - without Yant - we have 3 really good running backs this year.  :w00t

In addition, we have Rahmir and Emmet Johnson. 

I am good with our backs for 2023 chuckleshuffle

Any news on how Emmett Johnson has looked this spring? Mr Minnesota, iirc.