No Single-Digit Numbers

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Edge/Nickel positions gone.  Also no one with a single digit number anymore. I’m guessing those numbers have to be earned?

Sounds like to earn a single digit you have to earn/be voted to get one. 

also no FB/H-back listed. 

Kaine Williams listed at LB. Sam Hoskinson listed at RB. Previously played center. Must be a FB. 

No actual weight/height changes from last years rosters. 

• Plus1 2

... for now at least.

Some of those that had single-digit numbers last year:

• 0 - Jake Appleget - now #83
  • 1 - Marques Buford - now #24
  • 2 - Isaiah Garcia-Castaneda - now #82
  • 2 - Tommi Hill - now #31
  • 3 - Cooper Hausmann - now #13
  • 6 - Quinton Newsome - now #15
  • 6 - Chubba Purdy - now #12
  • 7 - Tamon Lynum - now #38
  • 7 - Marcus Washington - now #16
  • 8 - Myles Farmer - now #18
  • 8 - Logan Smothers - now #18
  • 9 - Ajay Allen - now #23
  • 9 - DeShon Singleton - now #19

• Plus1 1

Interesting duplicates (as of now):

• Both Purdy and Janiran Bonner are #12
  • Both Farmer and Buschini are #18 (can only have one on punt coverage)
  • Josh Fleeks, Logan Smothers and walk-on Barron Miles (also a WR) are also all #18
  • DeShon Singleton (DB) and Kaine Williams (LB) are both #19
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, Toe said:

This is something that Rhule did at Baylor, too - the players vote on the hardest working, most competitive guys, who get single digit numbers in fall.

https://baylorlariat.com/2018/08/29/rhule-reveals-players-voted-to-wear-single-digits/

That's cool that they use the single digits as a reward.  It may seem silly, but if it's one more thing for the players to care about and work towards, then it may be a good thing.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
44 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I don't understand the importance of not giving the team single digit numbers.  A number is just a number its the person behind the number that is important.

Like how low digit license plates in some country's are desirable it's kind of a status symbol.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I don't understand the importance of not giving the team single digit numbers.  A number is just a number its the person behind the number that is important.

Some players don't care too much about jersey number, while others make a big deal about single-digit numbers, because the way they look on the jersey.  If Rhule can share the thought of "Only the best and hardest working players will get the honor of wearing a single-digit number" and the players embrace it, it's just another way of rewarding hard work and success.

2 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

A blackshirt is just another color of jersey....  

Players absolutely care what their number is.  I have seen fist fights over a number before at the high school level.  

Will it serve as good motivation?  Who knows but I like the effort and attention to detail.  

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

A little bit Interesting.  I like it.  I don't understand it but I don't question it.  I am sure there is some football psychology behind it coming from the coach's standpoint, with a reward during fall camp.  Maybe dual numbers translate to teamwork and unity, and a single digit represents individuality?  It's cool, I like it. 

Ah, s#!t, so we still get to relentlessly debate who gets to wear a different color practice jersey, how and when; and now we also get to relentlessly debate who gets to wear a single digit jersey, how and when?

Rhule must be a frequent visitor to this board and figured the banter went stale and is doing his part to throw us a bone ;)

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 4
  • Oh Yeah! 1
7 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

The jersey is going to matter on this team. That's the essence behind what's being done. 

• Plus1 2