2023 Spring Practice Notes - Wide Receivers & Tight Ends

6 minutes ago, Red Five said:

RFr Appleget practicing at TE (when he gets healthy).  Was at Nickle I believe.

RFr Tagoloa moved from TE to DL.

RFr Bonner working at a WR/TE hybrid

My only question mark on any of the moves is Bonner bc if they are going to do that doesn't that make him slower by adding weight to him?  I thought he was a huge get at strictly wr position.  Its like Niles Paul I never really understood why the NFL made him a tight end bc I thought he looked slower and it cut his playing days short bc of injuries.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

My only question mark on any of the moves is Bonner bc if they are going to do that doesn't that make him slower by adding weight to him?  I thought he was a huge get at strictly wr position.  Its like Niles Paul I never really understood why the NFL made him a tight end bc I thought he looked slower and it cut his playing days short bc of injuries.

Maybe Bonner doesn't have the speed and agility that the coaching staff is looking for in receivers, so they are trying something new for him, so he can see the field sooner.  It's day 1 of spring practice, so the coaches are trying to be open with certain players.

Regarding Niles Paul, he had a 6-year career in the NFL, which is a long career by NFL standards.  I would say that moving to tight end enabled Paul to see the field more and led to his longer NFL career.

• Plus1 7
  • TBH 1

Just now, Mavric said:

I thought Tagaloa had gotten moved to defensive line but he was working with the TEs today.

Maybe I'm all confused.

I read that as well so you're not crazy.  Appleget moved to TE and Tagaloa moved to DL.  I'm surprised Tagaloa is still here honestly.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

I thought Tagaloa had gotten moved to defensive line but he was working with the TEs today.

Maybe I'm all confused.

Rhule did mention they're not afraid to let guys work at 2 spots while they figure out where they fit best, that's my guess here. Or he went DL, and in practice 1 it was clear that wasn't going to work and he's back at TE.

• Thanks 1

Although it's unknown about future production, I am getting more and more excited about the possibilities of Fidone and Gilbert next season.  It's a long way to go before now and Minnesota game 1.  Stay healthy and keep grinding, we should be good! chuckleshuffle

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
4 minutes ago, admo said:

Although it's unknown about future production, I am getting more and more excited about the possibilities of Fidone and Gilbert next season.  It's a long way to go before now and Minnesota game 1.  Stay healthy and keep grinding, we should be good! chuckleshuffle

The Arik Gilbert get during the off-season was huge bc he has all-american written all over him.  270 rn is huge for a tight end.  I know the coaches wanted him to slim down but maybe he is as strong as a ox and runs like a race horse playing at that weight.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
On 3/20/2023 at 11:53 AM, Huskerfollower4life said:

Its like Niles Paul I never really understood why the NFL made him a tight end bc I thought he looked slower and it cut his playing days short bc of injuries.

It's because he didn't want to play safety.  If he would have refused TE also, he probably would have been cut after his rookie year and we would have never heard from him again.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1