2023 Spring Practice Notes - Linebackers

• 2 weeks later...

Walk-on John Bullock from Creighton Prep getting some time with the 1s (Henrich is out).  He's gotten several mentions from the coaches.

Borders and Gbayor with the second unit.  Snodgrass in there as well.  Kpai and Malcom trailing.

Kind of a change for this group in the new scheme.  Previously, the DL tried to eat up blockers and let the LBs run.  Now the DL is going to shoot more gaps so the LBs also have an assigned gap that they have to secure first.

Butler running with the 1s at the Jack spot but Sherman right there as well.

8 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Walk-on John Bullock from Creighton Prep getting some time with the 1s (Henrich is out).  He's gotten several mentions from the coaches.

Borders and Gbayor with the second unit.  Snodgrass in there as well.  Kpai and Malcom trailing.

Kind of a change for this group in the new scheme.  Previously, the DL tried to eat up blockers and let the LBs run.  Now the DL is going to shoot more gaps so the LBs also have an assigned gap that they have to secure first.

Sounds like it was Sherman at Jack, Henrich, & Reimer with the ones. Need some LB depth quite badly. Lot of misses & guys not developing their bodies as fast as they should. Part of that is injury. 

I would hope that Sherman and Butler would routinely be on the field at the same time. I get that it's more of a three linebacker scheme so maybe you're choosier about who's out there.

It just makes me wonder though if Sherman might occasionally actually be counted as one of the linemen, maybe on third downs? Could that be a realistic possibility?

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

I've thought Bullock would contribute before his time here was over, he looks like a dude.  Had high hopes for Kpai, but he and Malcolm probably need to start showing something or they're going to get pushed out.  Rogers might have the best chance of any freshman at early playing time.

2 minutes ago, Undone said:

I would hope that Sherman and Butler would routinely be on the field at the same time. I get that it's more of a three linebacker scheme so maybe you're choosier about who's out there.

It just makes me wonder though if Sherman might occasionally actually be counted as one of the linemen, maybe on third downs? Could that be a realistic possibility?

They do have packages that put them on the field at the same time.  Would likely see them together on 3rd down, especially obvious passing situations. 

27 minutes ago, Farms said:

I've thought Bullock would contribute before his time here was over, he looks like a dude.  Had high hopes for Kpai, but he and Malcolm probably need to start showing something or they're going to get pushed out.  Rogers might have the best chance of any freshman at early playing time.

I have always thought that Malcom was at the wrong position.  He is more like hybrid OLB/SS and the previous staff had recruited him at ILB, I believe. Was hoping that the new staff would see something there becasue he is a tremendous athlete, just undersized.

3 hours ago, Mavric said:

Let’s give SSO some credit for his work

https://herbieshangout.com/2023/04/06/ssos-practice-observations-defense/?amp=1

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1