Jump to content


Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Whole packers or nada :lol:

 

Yeah a smallerish flat can get done. In fact I often do corned beef flats. But usually the guys in the shop want to do a whole packer. I usually go 12-14 hours on a whole plus about a 2 hour rest.
 

One of the guys has no patience whatsoever and is constantly carving off a piece as it smokes then he doesn’t finish it at home. He claims it was excellent but I know it had to be tough because no way he hit the temps or the time. He’s also one that totally ignores food safety, never washes his hands etc. I don’t accept food tastes from him :lol:

I just ate at my favorite BBQ joint in North Carolina.  I noticed that they only do flats too.  Found that interesting.  It's owned by a guy who's been on TV and is damn good.

Link to comment

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

I just ate at my favorite BBQ joint in North Carolina.  I noticed that they only do flats too.  Found that interesting.  It's owned by a guy who's been on TV and is damn good.

The flats are much nicer for slicing but the point is better for shredding/pulling and better (imo) for burnt ends. I’d definitely stick with flats if slices are what’s desired.

 

…hangs head, wishes he had a favorite BBQ joint in NC.

Link to comment
7 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

…hangs head, wishes he had a favorite BBQ joint in NC.

Yeah...it's pretty awesome. I come to this small town quite often for work.  It's kind of a second home for me now. This place is only open Thursday -Saturday.  He serves till his food is gone...which is usually around 2:00.  I make sure I get there at 11:30 so he's not out of what I want.

Link to comment
  • 1 year later...

Finally got a Blackstone griddle today (Father’s Day gift). Got the 36” 4 burner with hood and side table. I’m gonna love it but today was brutal. Had to fully assemble it, seasoned it 3x then did some griddle nachos (flat iron steak, griddled onions and jalapeños and cheese) Topped them with pico, guac and a little Carolina Reaper salsa I picked up yesterday. I’ve always grilled my steaks but the Blackstone did very well with the sear and cook.  This wasn’t a planned meal, just used what we had and it turned out great. This coming Saturday morning I am excited to do hash-brown omelets for everyone. Haven’t cooked breakfast on a flat top since my college days and it’s a blast.

 

 

  • Fire 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1
Link to comment
9 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Finally got a Blackstone griddle today (Father’s Day gift). Got the 36” 4 burner with hood and side table. I’m gonna love it but today was brutal. Had to fully assemble it, seasoned it 3x then did some griddle nachos (flat iron steak, griddled onions and jalapeños and cheese) Topped them with pico, guac and a little Carolina Reaper salsa I picked up yesterday. I’ve always grilled my steaks but the Blackstone did very well with the sear and cook.  This wasn’t a planned meal, just used what we had and it turned out great. This coming Saturday morning I am excited to do hash-brown omelets for everyone. Haven’t cooked breakfast on a flat top since my college days and it’s a blast.

 

 

YES!!!  Joined the club!  NICE

 

Hash brown omelets are great!

 

I did some Philly Cheesesteaks yesterday for a friend and kids.  

 

I bought the cheap Quick Steak packages, 3 of them.  Chopped up peppers and onions had those getting cooked up on the side.  

 

Then I use the Blackstone Philly Cheesesteak seasoning and topped it off with cheesewiz

 

 

  • Fire 2
Link to comment
On 5/10/2023 at 11:12 AM, teachercd said:

It if funny because I totally agree...but also when I am tailgating I find myself eating potato salad that has been sitting out in the sun for 10 hours...grabbing a hot dog that 12 other people touched and drinking out of multiple beers that "I think were mine"

 

Oh don't forget the ice luge for a shot!

I just happened across this post again. A few days ago I read an article (food myths) that said items containing mayonnaise sitting out at picnics etc are not a cause of food poisoning anymore. The concern is a remnant of when people used to make their own mayo, then it was dangerous. But now the stuff you buy at the store is safe because of how it is processed and the ingredients. The article said that mayo containing items are probably the safest things you can eat when it’s been left out for a long time. Just fyi

  • Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment

Using all the equipment today. Put 3 pork butts on the smoker this morning for a party tomorrow. Then fired up the Blackstone and made 5 of those hashbrown omelettes with bacon, peppers and onions. (Very good btw) And tonight I guess I am grilling pork loin chops and hearts of romaine with olive oil and fresh shredded parmesan. A little leery of grilling lettuce but we’ll see how it goes.

 

I’m scheduled to also do smashburgers and philly cheesesteaks sometime this weekend. Should be an old pro by Monday :B)

  • Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
Link to comment

2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Using all the equipment today. Put 3 pork butts on the smoker this morning for a party tomorrow. Then fired up the Blackstone and made 5 of those hashbrown omelettes with bacon, peppers and onions. (Very good btw) And tonight I guess I am grilling pork loin chops and hearts of romaine with olive oil and fresh shredded parmesan. A little leery of grilling lettuce but we’ll see how it goes.

 

I’m scheduled to also do smashburgers and philly cheesesteaks sometime this weekend. Should be an old pro by Monday :B)

I have been doing cheese steaks like crazy.

 

I love putting the bun on top of the meat while it is still on the griddle and then using the spatula to slide under the meat and pick it up, everything just stays in place sooooo much better.

  • Plus1 3
Link to comment
3 hours ago, teachercd said:

I have been doing cheese steaks like crazy.

 

I love putting the bun on top of the meat while it is still on the griddle and then using the spatula to slide under the meat and pick it up, everything just stays in place sooooo much better.

Yeah that seems like the best way to do it. I was watching some doofus do them on YouTube and he grilled the steak, picked it up with the spatula and put it in the roll THEN Mr Einstein put his cheese directly on the flat top waited for it to melt some and tried scrapping it up and smear it on top of his sandwich :facepalm:  It did not go well. Maybe he was demonstrating how NOT to do it :lol:

  • Haha 3
Link to comment

And btw, the grilled hearts of romaine was really good…and easy. Used my latex gloves to smear olive oil all over and inside, salt & pepper then grilled them on low flame about 2.5 minutes per side, 5 mins total. Take off grill, cut the stem end off to separate into individual leafs and sprinkled fresh shredded parm on them. There were a few leaf tips that got burned black, just tore those off. Surprisingly good.

  • Plus1 1
  • Fire 2
Link to comment

Made my first smashburgers last night. Used ground chuck 80-20. So frikken good….and I know why, all that grease/juice. My vascular system is telling me should prob use 85-15 to 90-10 from now on but dang they were good.

 

Put down some thin sliced onion first, let them cook just a bit then smashed 1/4 lb. balls of meat right on top of the onion, seasoned the top, flipped em then put cheese on. Made double burgers for everyone. Lightly buttered some brioche buns and griddle them until they turned slightly brown on the edges. Didn’t need ketchup or anything else on them. I could eat that 4x per week….and die happy…early :lol:

 

Going for cheesesteaks tonight. If my body doesn’t survive this week, it’s been fun.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...