You can't blame it on the Defense

You guys are totally right, these coz haters are an absolute joke. If they would use some simple football logic instead of trying to coach from their pee-wee equipment manager job, then they would know that the best way to cover a wide receiver is with a linebacker, silly guys. Or how about the ones who think its dumb to take your best defensive player make up a nifty new name for him like “strong side end” and the line him up on the tight-end side in constant double teams. Then there’s the dumbest ones of all, the guys who think that coaches are the ones who recruit and choose the players that are out on the field, can you believe these guys think you shouldn’t blame 19 and 20 year old kids for a entire teams inconsistent and miserable pass defense.

And I’ve never been a Callahan hater, in fact the only thing I hate about Callahan is that he hired Cosgrove.

I understand that your post is seething with sarcasm, good job!

You point is lost on me, you don't like Cosgrove because of why? My only guess as the defense is not playing to your expectations. Please elaborate why you dislike the Base 4-3 that Cosgrove runs, is that what makes it inconsistent?

You guys are totally right, these coz haters are an absolute joke. If they would use some simple football logic instead of trying to coach from their pee-wee equipment manager job, then they would know that the best way to cover a wide receiver is with a linebacker, silly guys. Or how about the ones who think its dumb to take your best defensive player make up a nifty new name for him like “strong side end” and the line him up on the tight-end side in constant double teams. Then there’s the dumbest ones of all, the guys who think that coaches are the ones who recruit and choose the players that are out on the field, can you believe these guys think you shouldn’t blame 19 and 20 year old kids for a entire teams inconsistent and miserable pass defense.

And I’ve never been a Callahan hater, in fact the only thing I hate about Callahan is that he hired Cosgrove.

You point is lost on me, you don't like Cosgrove because of why? My only guess as the defense is not playing to your expectations. Please elaborate why you dislike the Base 4-3 that Cosgrove runs, is that what makes it inconsistent?

The problem is not that he runs the base 4-3, it is the way he sets the scheme. He actually has made a new d-line position…the “strong side defensive end.” When McBride was the D-coordinator, we had a Right Rush end and a Left Rush end. That way sometimes the guy on the right was double teamed and sometimes the guy on the left was double teamed. In Coz’s system, Adam Carriker is purposely lined up so that he is always double teamed. That is just plain stupid. But in the words of Forest Gump, “my momma always said, stupid is as stupid does.” I think that is the problem with Coz. He is stupid doing as stupid does.

The problem is not that he runs the base 4-3, it is the way he sets the scheme. He actually has made a new d-line position…the “strong side defensive end.” When McBride was the D-coordinator, we had a Right Rush end and a Left Rush end. That way sometimes the guy on the right was double teamed and sometimes the guy on the left was double teamed. In Coz’s system, Adam Carriker is purposely lined up so that he is always double teamed. That is just plain stupid. But in the words of Forest Gump, “my momma always said, stupid is as stupid does.” I think that is the problem with Coz. He is stupid doing as stupid does.

I think the term you are looking for is Base end and it is not new. He isn't intentionally lined up to be doubled teamed, but that is how it often ends up as a result of his gap responsibility, which Carriker is more suited too anyway, have you seen what the man can do when he is lined up at tackle? It is going to be either him or Moore. The D-line has been pretty effective as unit, I don't see what you are complaining about there.

I think the term you are looking for is Base end and it is not new. He isn't intentionally lined up to be doubled teamed, but that is how it often ends up as a result of his gap responsibility, which Carriker is more suited too anyway, have you seen what the man can do when he is lined up at tackle? It is going to be either him or Moore. The D-line has been pretty effective as unit, I don't see what you are complaining about there.

The problem is that since we went to the “base end” defense we went from leading the nation in sacks, to not having any sack. You can call it whatever you want. All I know is if he stayed put on one side he would be more effective. Always switching Carriker to the strong side is just plain stupid.

The problem is not that he runs the base 4-3, it is the way he sets the scheme. He actually has made a new d-line position…the "strong side defensive end." When McBride was the D-coordinator, we had a Right Rush end and a Left Rush end. That way sometimes the guy on the right was double teamed and sometimes the guy on the left was double teamed. In Coz's system, Adam Carriker is purposely lined up so that he is always double teamed. That is just plain stupid. But in the words of Forest Gump, "my momma always said, stupid is as stupid does." I think that is the problem with Coz. He is stupid doing as stupid does.

Considering there are only 11 guys on each side of the ball, how does having two offensive players forced to play 1 defensive player put the offense in a better position? Seems it would be the opposite. Or even three offensive players, such during Missouri when Carriker was on the nose?

The problem is that since we went to the “base end” defense we went from leading the nation in sacks, to not having any sack. You can call it whatever you want. All I know is if he stayed put on one side he would be more effective. Always switching Carriker to the strong side is just plain stupid.

NU ran the same alignment last season when they led the nation in sacks. Now if the D could get a little more out of the LB's, and the secondary, and I think that is where your sacks went, the LB's can't rely on the secondary and have to drop back and help them.

Just because you don't have any understanding of something is no reason to call it stupid.

The problem is not that he runs the base 4-3, it is the way he sets the scheme. He actually has made a new d-line position…the "strong side defensive end." When McBride was the D-coordinator, we had a Right Rush end and a Left Rush end. That way sometimes the guy on the right was double teamed and sometimes the guy on the left was double teamed. In Coz's system, Adam Carriker is purposely lined up so that he is always double teamed. That is just plain stupid. But in the words of Forest Gump, "my momma always said, stupid is as stupid does." I think that is the problem with Coz. He is stupid doing as stupid does.

Considering there are only 11 guys on each side of the ball, how does having two offensive players forced to play 1 defensive player put the offense in a better position? Seems it would be the opposite. Or even three offensive players, such during Missouri when Carriker was on the nose?

The difference is that you are taking the best player and putting him in a double team situation. There are five offensive linemen, and four defensive linemen. Plus on the strong side, there is an extra blocker in the form of a tight end. So Carriker is always at a disadvantage. If you were going to switch him at all, why not put him in a one-on-one situation with a O-Tackle where he could get pressure on the QB every time. Then you wouldn’t have to rely on one of Coz’s wonderful delay blitzes to try to get to the QB. Carriker can eat up any O-lineman in the country one-on-one, but he rarely gets the chance with Coz’s scheme. My preference however is that he just let Moore and Carriker stay on one their own respective sides the way we did with Wistrom and Tomich as well as all of our other great D-end tandems. Coz has got to go!

The difference is that you are taking the best player and putting him in a double team situation. There are five offensive linemen, and four defensive linemen. Plus on the strong side, there is an extra blocker in the form of a tight end. So Carriker is always at a disadvantage. If you were going to switch him at all, why not put him in a one-on-one situation with a O-Tackle where he could get pressure on the QB every time. Then you wouldn’t have to rely on one of Coz’s wonderful delay blitzes to try to get to the QB. Carriker can eat up any O-lineman in the country one-on-one, but he rarely gets the chance with Coz’s scheme. My preference however is that he just let Moore and Carriker stay on one their own respective sides the way we did with Wistrom and Tomich as well as all of our other great D-end tandems. Coz has got to go!

So you want to see more get blown up on every play? Not saying that he would, but your arguement makes little sense and I thinkyou are underating Moore. Carriker is bigger but slower, why do you think he is at base?

Aren't you the same guy that was talking up UCLA's play call against USC? You never really responded about how those great schemes gave up more passing yards than Nebraska's D did.

So you want to see more get blown up on every play? Not saying that he would, but your arguement makes little sense and I thinkyou are underating Moore. Carriker is bigger but slower, why do you think he is at base?

Aren't you the same guy that was talking up UCLA's play call against USC? You never really responded about how those great schemes gave up more passing yards than Nebraska's D did.

So let me get this straight. You think Moore can’t hold his own against an occasional double team? Get real. Depending on the other team’s offense sometime Moore will be doubled, sometimes Carriker will be doubled. But if you leave them lined up on their own end all the time, I believe they would excel. My reason for saying that is that their talent and physical play remind me of the Rush ends we had in the 90’s when they had a set position. Sure they moved around once in a while, but they were either a Right Rush end or a Left Rush end, and they got to the QB with much more consistency than our D has this year.

And in the UCLA vs. USC example all I was trying to do was to point out that us holding USC to ONLY 28 points was not such a glowing example of a successful game plan. UCLA held them to only 7 points, and actually you have made that point even stronger by stating that UCLA’s defense sucks. All I know is, at least they did something to try to make it better, and they started at the top by firing the D-coordinator. I think we need to do the same. Coz has got to go!

So let me get this straight. You think Moore can’t hold his own against an occasional double team? Get real. Depending on the other team’s offense sometime Moore will be doubled, sometimes Carriker will be doubled. But if you leave them lined up on their own end all the time, I believe they would excel. My reason for saying that is that their talent and physical play remind me of the Rush ends we had in the 90’s when they had a set position. Sure they moved around once in a while, but they were either a Right Rush end or a Left Rush end, and they got to the QB with much more consistency than our D has this year.

And in the UCLA vs. USC example all I was trying to do was to point out that us holding USC to ONLY 28 points was not such a glowing example of a successful game plan. UCLA held them to only 7 points, and actually you have made that point even stronger by stating that UCLA’s defense sucks. All I know is, at least they did something to try to make it better, and they started at the top by firing the D-coordinator. I think we need to do the same. Coz has got to go!

No, reread my post. I said you were under rating Moore.

You aren't making any sense with your comparisons of Open end to Rush end. Whatever.

USC played a horrible game, UCLA played lights out, who has the better season on D? Would you rather have UCLA's record or NU's?

Whatever CAHusker, you obviously have some weird sense of self-entitlement to call out that a coach "must go". Good luck with that.

Well Ca husker has explained a lot of my problem with his scheme. I love the base 4-3 defense, but you can’t be stubborn and make players fit your system, your system needs to adjust to your players. Now like I said I love the 4-3 but unless you know a way to get Terrell Farley or Eric Johnson back to NU your going to have to use nickel and dime packages on 3 and 4 receiver sets. My other point is that Cosgrove has been there for 3 years now so if Grixby is all you got… once again whose fault is that(I personally don’t think Grixby is to blame but that’s irrelevant to this point). I know I know “Bowman’s hurt” but if he were here Grixby would still be a starter and guess what? He’d still be 5’9.Go take a look at a roster from the mid 90’s when the BLACKSHIRTS dominated compare the size and speed of our LB’s and DB’s from then to now, he hasn’t even recruited the right type of guys, and if he has and we’re just not using them then that is just plain stupid. I personally think are defense is headed in the wrong direction but it doesn’t look like he’s going anywhere so I guess will see.

No, reread my post. I said you were under rating Moore.

You aren't making any sense with your comparisons of Open end to Rush end. Whatever.

USC played a horrible game, UCLA played lights out, who has the better season on D? Would you rather have UCLA's record or NU's?

Whatever CAHusker, you obviously have some weird sense of self-entitlement to call out that a coach "must go". Good luck with that.

I am not underrating Moore. In fact, it is our coaching staff that is doing that. If he were a Rush end he could handle playing strong side when the offense lined up against him that way. And I am making perfect sense. The problem is YOUR lack of understanding.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, USC played a horrible game….blah, blah, blah. I just wish just once a top ten opponent would play a horrible game against us. Boy, we just run into bad luck and the other team always plays their best game. Like OSU’s comeback in the fourth quarter. Like Kansas’ back up quarterback looking like Peyton Manning. Like an OU converted wide receiver also looking like Peyton Manning. I guess it is just a coincidence that top ten teams ALWAYS have a great game against our defense.

You know what, you are right and I am wrong. Coz is great. The schemes he runs are perfect. That crap we did in the 90’s with the Rush ends…that sucked! We should all back Coz all the way. It is that little Grixby that is the only problem. If we get Bowman back all will be well.

Oh, and you are right again with your last “entitlement” point. You all have perfect right to continually call out a player that is placed in the starting line-up by the coaching staff, but I have no right to call out the coaches who put him there. You are a freaking genius. I don’t know how I could have ever disagreed with you about anything…

I am not underrating Moore. In fact, it is our coaching staff that is doing that. If he were a Rush end he could handle playing strong side when the offense lined up against him that way. And I am making perfect sense. The problem is YOUR lack of understanding.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, USC played a horrible game….blah, blah, blah. I just wish just once a top ten opponent would play a horrible game against us. Boy, we just run into bad luck and the other team always plays their best game. Like OSU’s comeback in the fourth quarter. Like Kansas’ back up quarterback looking like Peyton Manning. Like an OU converted wide receiver also looking like Peyton Manning. I guess it is just a coincidence that top ten teams ALWAYS have a great game against our defense.

You know what, you are right and I am wrong. Coz is great. The schemes he runs are perfect. That crap we did in the 90’s with the Rush ends…that sucked! We should all back Coz all the way. It is that little Grixby that is the only problem. If we get Bowman back all will be well.

Oh, and you are right again with your last “entitlement” point. You all have perfect right to continually call out a player that is placed in the starting line-up by the coaching staff, but I have no right to call out the coaches who put him there. You are a freaking genius. I don’t know how I could have ever disagreed with you about anything…

I never said Cosgrove is great and I don't recall saying Grixby was the problem or calling him out. I just think it is funny that you think if NU switched to rush ends, or even run McBrides D, suddenly they would be posting shut-outs.