20 lb. playbook?

Every time I hear "20 lb playbook" I laugh.

We hardly shifted AT ALL this year compared to previous years.

You laugh? Why? We've all heard from players about the playbook Callahan brought in, it's huge. Like an encyclopedia. I was using it more as a way to describe the intricacy of the type of offense we ran. It was too complicated and I hope it's dumbed down a little.

I laugh because people still think it was used day in and say out. I am sure it will still be similar. Most of this year I think the plays ran were pretty simple.

Every week the team was given the package of plays they were going to run that week. That's what was focused on. People talk like every week they were trying to master EVERY play EVER conceived by the coaching staff. Which is simply not true.

I bet if you were to compile every play that Watson has devised, seen or heard about you'd get the same volume. The difference is, fans aren't out to beat Watson down so you won't hear about it.

You laugh? Why? We've all heard from players about the playbook Callahan brought in, it's huge. Like an encyclopedia. I was using it more as a way to describe the intricacy of the type of offense we ran. It was too complicated and I hope it's dumbed down a little.

I laugh because people still think it was used day in and say out. I am sure it will still be similar. Most of this year I think the plays ran were pretty simple.

Every week the team was given the package of plays they were going to run that week. That's what was focused on. People talk like every week they were trying to master EVERY play EVER conceived by the coaching staff. Which is simply not true.

I bet if you were to compile every play that Watson has devised, seen or heard about you'd get the same volume. The difference is, fans aren't out to beat Watson down so you won't hear about it.

Just to add a little to Dave's post - the problem wasn't with the size of the playbook. Players didn't have to memorize every play. Instead, the staff would work up a much smaller number of plays that they thought would work that week.

If there was a complexity issue, it was the terminology. I remember either Taylor or Keller describing a typical play once, and it was mind-numbing. I think that's also what contributed to the "run to the sideline to get the play" issue - it was more to get the terminology. The quarterbacks has wristbands with the plays for that week.

Simplify the terminology - the number of plays doesn't really matter so long as they can learn the ones for each week in time.

well, ok, i guess you will be helping promote cally in his next job too??

the fact of the matter, regardless the size of the play book or plays being put in for any one game, the play calling, especially in the 2nd half of most games was just plain horsesh#t!

i don't think you will see Watson calling our qb to the sidelines to get every play this coming season, which if you have to do, as cally did, tends to lead one to believe the damn calls were too confusing to run off a wrist band or signal in by hand. what other conclusion could you draw, Dave??

A conclusion that is just as logical is he wanted the chance to give a quick word of advice while calling the play. He could relay something he or a person up in the boxes had noticed, for instance.

On every play??

Either the play terminology was way to complicated and/or Calli wanted the QB to come see him after every play to bolster his ego and let everyone in the stadium know who was in charge.

A conclusion that is just as logical is he wanted the chance to give a quick word of advice while calling the play. He could relay something he or a person up in the boxes had noticed, for instance.

On every play??

Either the play terminology was way to complicated and/or Calli wanted the QB to come see him after every play to bolster his ego and let everyone in the stadium know who was in charge.

Sure on every play. You would set something like that up so it was just automatic. If you didn't have anything to convey, you just gave him the play and sent him back. If you did have something to tell him, then you've got your chance.

Just to add a little to Dave's post - the problem wasn't with the size of the playbook. Players didn't have to memorize every play. Instead, the staff would work up a much smaller number of plays that they thought would work that week.

If there was a complexity issue, it was the terminology. I remember either Taylor or Keller describing a typical play once, and it was mind-numbing. I think that's also what contributed to the "run to the sideline to get the play" issue - it was more to get the terminology. The quarterbacks has wristbands with the plays for that week.

Simplify the terminology - the number of plays doesn't really matter so long as they can learn the ones for each week in time.

It's exactly what AR said. Terminology was the problem. A new language, communicating it, translating it, and all the multiple options that went along with it. With the emphasis on technique & mechanics.

As for the type of plays, I personally do not care for a short, precise, controlled passing & running game. These guys are not robots. I prefer an offense that opens it up, plays loose, throws the ball downfield to the open man, and runs the sweep/student body right.