ISU dining withholds fruit: Says Nebraska Fans throw food

I am an Iowa State student and for the last few days at least one dining center (UDCC) has not been giving students whole fruit. When I asked why this was I was told it was because Nebraska fans throw food at the games and they didn't want ISU fans stocking up on fruit for retalliation. I thought this was completely ridiculous and couldn't be the real reason so I asked another worker, and another, and every single one gave me the same answer. Interestingly enough however they would let you have half a piece of fruit, because apparently you can't throw that?

To me this all seems like some big lie (for reasons I can't understand) becasue all of my experience with Nebraska fans has been that they are among the most, if not the most respectful fans in college sports. Was there an event at a recent game that may have caused all of this, or is this just complete nonsense?

• Fire 1

The only time we throw fruit is when we secured going to the orange bowl. This is a completely asinine and baseless lie. When Colorado and Missouri come to down do they ban you from using the urinal and refuse to sell batteries in Ames? This is an attempt to drum up some sort of hatred within the ISU fan base. What would stop ISU students from going to Hyvee and buying fruit?

I would guess that ISU is losing money at such a record pace they can no longer afford to provide the caffeteria with fresh fruit and that is the real reason.

• Fire 1

I'm sorry but what you are hearing is true. We actually TRIED to throw fruit on our field last year when we played Iowa St., but as we pulled our arms back to fire the fruit onto the field it slipped out of our hands. I counted that this happened to me at least 8 times and we finally gave up.

• Fire 1