Why memorial doesn't exceed 100,000?

I take the sellout streak with a grain of salt anyway. There have been a couple of games where some corporate entity bought up unsold tickets to keep the streak going. There were actually a few games where you could see a few blank seats in the upper rows. So for me that takes the edge off a bit but on the other hand being short a couple of hundred tickets of a true sellout didnt diminish the fact that there were 80K there. Stadium still looked full.

I'm not sure what you're talking about here. As has been discussed in length in the Sellout Streak thread, all seats are sold to season-ticket holders, and have been since the early 70s. The fact that people didn't show up doesn't mean the tickets weren't sold, it means the people who bought them didn't come to the game. That has nothing to do with a sellout streak.

Since we've been selling the entire stadium to season-ticket holders for the past four decades, I don't know where you're getting the idea that corporate entities had to buy up unused seats to keep the streak going. Can you better explain that?

It was my understand that opponents get a block of tickets to sell and they return them if they don't sell them. Nebraska then sells those. Am I incorrect? It was my impression those were the tickets that had to bought.

It was my understand that opponents get a block of tickets to sell and they return them if they don't sell them. Nebraska then sells those. Am I incorrect? It was my impression those were the tickets that had to bought.

To my knowledge the opponent block doesn't count against the sellout streak, since those aren't "our" tickets to sell. I'm not sure that's correct, though. As far as I am aware, there has never been any concern that our sellout streak was jeopardized or compromised by unsold tickets, ours or the opponents'.

I take the sellout streak with a grain of salt anyway. There have been a couple of games where some corporate entity bought up unsold tickets to keep the streak going. There were actually a few games where you could see a few blank seats in the upper rows. So for me that takes the edge off a bit but on the other hand being short a couple of hundred tickets of a true sellout didnt diminish the fact that there were 80K there. Stadium still looked full.

I'm not sure what you're talking about here. As has been discussed in length in the Sellout Streak thread, all seats are sold to season-ticket holders, and have been since the early 70s. The fact that people didn't show up doesn't mean the tickets weren't sold, it means the people who bought them didn't come to the game. That has nothing to do with a sellout streak.

Since we've been selling the entire stadium to season-ticket holders for the past four decades, I don't know where you're getting the idea that corporate entities had to buy up unused seats to keep the streak going. Can you better explain that?

He may be thinking of Notre Dame? :dunno This is the first I've heard of this.

They(TO) didnt want to take this expansion to 100,000 because he ahs concerned as any about the sellout streak.

I hope that's not true. Because after all I've been hearing about your fan base, that would be kind of a lame excuse. Especially since you joined the land of the 100,000+ stadium.

Before announcing the expansion they conducted a survey of donors, season ticket holders, etc. iirc the responses basically said: Yes we want more seats, but not if it would conceivably threaten the sellout streak someday.

That was the "excuse" used as to why they expanded-- but not over-expanded.

As has been mentioned, Nebraska may have "joined the land" of 100,000 seat stadiums but it still doesn't have the population base of a Michigan, Pennsylvania, or Ohio.

I think that you should revisit this after more of you have made the trip to Ann Arbor. Then, you will learn that Michigan achieved their +100K seating simply by repainting the numbers on the bleachers. I know that the press love the "Big House" and the "Shoe" but I've been to both and unless you are sitting in the press box, they are a crappy place to watch a football game.

The BIg House has a very gentle slope to the stands so that by the time you get to the upper rows, the field is very far away. The Shoe has support poles and an upper deck that block the view. I still go to the Michigan game when MSU plays there, but it is much more for the atmosphere because the visitors' seats are terrible. The visitors' seats in the Shoe are spread all around the last row or two of the stadium; won't be going back there.

Notre Dame is the school the did it right. They expanded from 50K or so to the current 80K (?) and managed to improve everything. I really look forward to seeing the team there - it's a monument to football, and the ushers are so polite you feel like you should have worn a tie.

The visitors' seats in the Shoe are spread all around the last row or two of the stadium; won't be going back there.

Visitors are in 2 sections. One in the South Stands all along the path to the visitor's locker room. And the other on the north end of the stadium east of the north entrance.

If you were in the last two rows of the stadium, it's because you got the tickets from someone else.

The visitors' seats in the Shoe are spread all around the last row or two of the stadium; won't be going back there.

Visitors are in 2 sections. One in the South Stands all along the path to the visitor's locker room. And the other on the north end of the stadium east of the north entrance.

If you were in the last two rows of the stadium, it's because you got the tickets from someone else.

Hmm... got them from the MSU ticket office as an away ticket with my season ticket order. In any case - the field was pretty much not visible considering that the thin horizontal bit of the field that you could see under the upper deck was also obscured by poles. There were fellow Spartans in a couple of rows against the back wall going either direction as far as you could see. Maybe some of the visitor seats are in a block, but not all by a long shot.

Main main point, however, was that giant stadiums can have some pretty crappy seating. Michigan stadium has very narrow seating that can be very far the field and the shoe has seats where you, essentially, can't see the field.

Hmm... got them from the MSU ticket office as an away ticket with my season ticket order. In any case - the field was pretty much not visible considering that the thin horizontal bit of the field that you could see under the upper deck was also obscured by poles. There were fellow Spartans in a couple of rows against the back wall going either direction as far as you could see. Maybe some of the visitor seats are in a block, but not all by a long shot.

Main main point, however, was that giant stadiums can have some pretty crappy seating. Michigan stadium has very narrow seating that can be very far the field and the shoe has seats where you, essentially, can't see the field.

That's just been my observation every time I've gone to a home game. Visiting fans have been in the same place every game I've gone to since 2002. I agree that stadiums can have crappy seating, but that's solely a design issue. Before Ohio Stadium was over 100,000, the same issues were there. Actually with the renovations, visibility as a whole actually got better. It used to be that if you sat on south stands, depending on how high up you were, you might not have really been able to see the game. Now, you can see everything regardless of where in South Stands you sit. The pillars holding B deck still obstruct some and the press box does as well for those in A deck.

Should be pretty obvious to see where they are here.

241188599_40e61b7e7a_b.jpg

No question, there are some visitor seats in an end zone block. What you can't see in the picture, however, is that there are visitors seats lining the back rows of the deck that is squeezed in between the upper and lower decks. The seats are so crappy that you can't see them in this picture - just the narrow slit that, supposedly, gives those fans a glimpse of the field. The folks with season tickets probably think that the away seats are just the ones they see, however there are 1000's of visitors seats with obstructed views lining the back rows of that middle deck that they are unaware of.

But again, my main point is that a stadium like Notre Dame (or MSU) with ~80,000 capacity can create an environment where there isn't a bad seat in the house. I've been to OSU one time (won't go back) and UM dozens of times and I can tell you that the experience isn't as good. At UM, you can be very far from the field with a very low view angle. The seat spacing is so tight I've seen people being pushed off the ends of the bleachers into the aisles. You might also have to walk up 100 rows to get to the gate. At OSU there are seats where you simply can't see the field. If expanding NU's stadium was just going to add a bunch of crappy seats, then I would be against it.