Status update on Caputo and Eric Martin for CapOne Bowl

knapplc

Life isn't fair. Punishment is NOT consistent.

Caputo made a very big mistake. It sounds like it is a first offense. He is a senior. Last game. He got behind the wheel when he shouldn't have. Many of us have made that same terrible decision. I don't condone it, nor do I forgive it. But, I understand allowing him to play.

To be clear, I don't have a problem with not suspending a player over a reckless driving ticket. What I'm more surprised about is the fact that he's being charged with reckless driving. I'd like to see how that's consistent with Joe Public's sentencing in situations like Caputo's.

I'd also like to know that no strings were pulled for Caputo. I do not wish him ill, I just want his situation to be the same as someone who isn't the only Center capable of starting for the Huskers in the bowl game.

To be clear, I don't have a problem with not suspending a player over a reckless driving ticket. What I'm more surprised about is the fact that he's being charged with reckless driving. I'd like to see how that's consistent with Joe Public's sentencing in situations like Caputo's.

I'd also like to know that no strings were pulled for Caputo. I do not wish him ill, I just want his situation to be the same as someone who isn't the only Center capable of starting for the Huskers in the bowl game.

I actually think this is fairly common or at least it is out here in the sticks. Most of the time DUI's when plead down go to wilfull reckless driving rather than just reckless driving, but a lot of DUI's do get plead down. The one thing I wonder about is how they could charge him with a DUI on private property. I'm not an attorney, but it would appear that it would be hard to get a conviction considering the car was parked on private property rather than a public road. I'm fairly certain a cop can't come give me a DUI while I'm driving my tractor drunk through a field, but I might be wrong.

I heard Eric Martin backed into a car in the parking lot at WallyWorld. He looked at the damage, thought it didn't look to bad and just left. Not exactly flagrant "leaving the scene of the accident" that we saw with a certain volleyball player. It did cause $2000 damage to the bumper of the car Eric hit, but anymore, bumpers aren't what they used to be.

That Christian Peter "VaJay-Jay" reference toward the top, wasn't that actually Andy Christiansen from just a few years ago, who did get suspended and didn't play much from then on out. I don't remember Christian Peter in that scenario.

I actually think this is fairly common or at least it is out here in the sticks. Most of the time DUI's when plead down go to wilfull reckless driving rather than just reckless driving, but a lot of DUI's do get plead down. The one thing I wonder about is how they could charge him with a DUI on private property. I'm not an attorney, but it would appear that it would be hard to get a conviction considering the car was parked on private property rather than a public road. I'm fairly certain a cop can't come give me a DUI while I'm driving my tractor drunk through a field, but I might be wrong.

I am just answering this because I want to try to possibly shed some light...... Please understand, that I in NO way shape or form condone DWI.... I am a drivers' education teacher....and a parent of a new driver. I have also had a handful of former students throughout the years who have been injured or killed in DWI accidents........BUT, yes, when I was a senior in college (22), taking my brother around for his 21st birthday..... I got pulled over in my apartment complex and blew a .102 (legal was .10 then)... I was arrested and taken to the tank..... it still is the most embarrassing and regretful thing that I have done in my life... I don't try to hide it from my students either....I don't want to be a hypocrite.... BUT, finally to the point.... my charge was reduced to reckless driving. I hired a lawyer and because it was my first offense, and I was in my complex....yada...yada..yada.... they reduced it to reckless driving.

No strings attached... Mr. Joe Public...not star athlete.... I got lucky... on many different levels.... Just wanted to point it out that it is possible that this could happen.

• Fire 1

No strings attached... Mr. Joe Public...not star athlete.... I got lucky... on many different levels.... Just wanted to point it out that it is possible that this could happen.

Might help calm the hanging posse.....................good info...........

Welp...sounds like he had some prosecutors helping him out. He's a HUGE asset to the team....I am not surprised this got dropped down to wreckless driving. Starting center for NEB, bowl game coming up......sounds about right that he would get off a bit easy. He's prob. still being punished by Bo, but he got off easy on this one. I've had a DUI dropped down to wreckless before....and it was because I KNEW SOMEONE on the inside at the courthouse in downtown Omaha (also the fact that I had a clean record and blew a little over a .08), so I got a pass and got dropped down to wreckless. I was a lucky SOB. I am very thankful I got out easy on that one....

Welp...sounds like he had some prosecutors helping him out. He's a HUGE asset to the team....I am not surprised this got dropped down to wreckless driving. Starting center for NEB, bowl game coming up......sounds about right that he would get off a bit easy. He's prob. still being punished by Bo, but he got off easy on this one. I've had a DUI dropped down to wreckless before....and it was because I KNEW SOMEONE on the inside at the courthouse in downtown Omaha (also the fact that I had a clean record and blew a little over a .08), so I got a pass and got dropped down to wreckless. I was a lucky SOB. I am very thankful I got out easy on that one....

Now, that is funny. :D

So a bird told me that caputo had his buddy drive him home but they got in a dispute. Caputo told him to pullover and get out. His buddy pulls into the U stop calls for a friend to pick him up. Meanwhile Caputo decides its better to sleep this one off before he drives home. You know the rest of the story from here... I love how ignorant impulsive people make me appear more intelligent than what I really am.. Ya know, you can't see much through a microscope... Ooo have a good day now:)

I've had friends who got a DUI for sitting in their car, even though the engine was not running. I always thought it was a chincy interpretation of the law to give a guy a DUI because of this. I mean, if you're not driving how can you be DUI--driving under the influence? Now if Caputo had been driving, it would be a whole different story.

Same here--had a friend drunk in the passenger seat while the designated driver (completely sober) left the car running to keep the car warm (as it was below zero out at 1am) and run into a Gas N Shop. The inebriated passenger was making no motions to drive--they were just hanging out, listening to a CD. Passenger was nailed with DUI, as the cop followed the car from where the DD picked up the drunk friend in front of an 'O' street bar to the Gas N Shop down the way.

My experience is that Lincoln police as a group, for whatever reason, seem to be disproportionate a$$hole$ to police in other cities. Hell, the Omaha Police deal with a lot more ****, and they seem to be more lenient and don't stoop to this level of chicanery to get someone busted. And, sad to say, it doesn't look like things have changed much.

And yes, I know I'm painting with a broad brush, and I know there are excellent Lincoln officers that are getting caught in said brushstroke.

Now, that is funny. :D

It's true Knapp. I am thankful everyday that I was given that pass...trust me...