Bands that should not have been as big as they are or were

Iron Maiden should be at the top of that list..

Metalica=Iron Maiden wannabes.

Iron Maiden should be on here, and Judas Priest.

But as for Metallica being Iron Maiden clones, i'm going to have to stop you there. Metallica was influenced by Maiden, but also by Motorhead, Diamond Head, and other notable NWOBHM bands...

Iron Maiden should be at the top of that list..

Metalica=Iron Maiden wannabes.

Iron Maiden should be on here, and Judas Priest.

But as for Metallica being Iron Maiden clones, i'm going to have to stop you there. Metallica was influenced by Maiden, but also by Motorhead, Diamond Head, and other notable NWOBHM bands...

You can't put Judas Priest on this list. You just can't. Way too much early influence and too much credit for bringing Metal into the spot light.

KISS doesn't get the "credit" from critics because critics tend to not like what they are singing about. Lets face it, KISS songs are fun, they are about girls, partying, and so on. Just because they are not signing about being depressed and changing the world critiques were hard on them.

It is not like they could not play, I am sure that they could play just as well as any of the bands that are known for playing super difficult music, BUT, what they did was use a formula.

Awhile back I read an article about Will Smith, him and his agent sat down and looked/reviewed every summer blockbuster for that last 10 years (I think this was right before he made Independence Day) and they "cracked" the formula, they knew there had to be action, they knew it had to be bigger than life, they knew there had to be special effects, they knew the release date needed to fall in a certain area of summer and they knew what kind of characters people paid to see and what raiting the movie needed to be, usually PG 13. I am not a huge Will Smith fan but lets face it, his summer movies make tons of freaking money, the guy sticks with the formula, for the most part.

Well, KISS cracked the code too.

1. Play tunes that are fun

2. Play tunes that other people can sing with and/or play (imitation is SO important)

3. Have a gimmick (Makeup)

4. Give the fans a HUGE show, don't act like YOU are doing them the favor but KNOW they are doing you the favor by showing up

5. MERCHANDISING

6. Go to towns where other bands won't go play and become that towns "Cool thing" to do/see

7. Treat your fans as the most important thing in the world instead of being mad when they want a picture or autograph

For KISS it really was not about being the best musicians in the world (Ala Rush) it was about having fun, making money and being huge.

In the Doc about Rush, Getty Lee talks about touring with and opening for Kiss in the early 70's. He said, that you can say a lot of things about Kiss, but you never saw a harder working band to please an audience.

KISS doesn't get the "credit" from critics because critics tend to not like what they are singing about. Lets face it, KISS songs are fun, they are about girls, partying, and so on. Just because they are not signing about being depressed and changing the world critiques were hard on them.

It is not like they could not play, I am sure that they could play just as well as any of the bands that are known for playing super difficult music, BUT, what they did was use a formula.

Awhile back I read an article about Will Smith, him and his agent sat down and looked/reviewed every summer blockbuster for that last 10 years (I think this was right before he made Independence Day) and they "cracked" the formula, they knew there had to be action, they knew it had to be bigger than life, they knew there had to be special effects, they knew the release date needed to fall in a certain area of summer and they knew what kind of characters people paid to see and what raiting the movie needed to be, usually PG 13. I am not a huge Will Smith fan but lets face it, his summer movies make tons of freaking money, the guy sticks with the formula, for the most part.

2. Play tunes that other people can sing with and/or play (imitation is SO important)

4. Give the fans a HUGE show, don't act like YOU are doing them the favor but KNOW they are doing you the favor by showing up

5. MERCHANDISING

6. Go to towns where other bands won't go play and become that towns "Cool thing" to do/see

7. Treat your fans as the most important thing in the world instead of being mad when they want a picture or autograph

For KISS it really was not about being the best musicians in the world (Ala Rush) it was about having fun, making money and being huge.

In the Doc about Rush, Getty Lee talks about touring with and opening for Kiss in the early 70's. He said, that you can say a lot of things about Kiss, but you never saw a harder working band to please an audience.

Actually #7 above is the main reason KISS was huge.

5. MERCHANDISING

This has made me wonder if we'd be "blessed" by the Justins of the music world without KISS,,

(Beiber and Timberlake)

And my Son adds..One Direction..Whoever that is..

Just because a majority of people have had their tastes in music dumbed down to the point to where mediocrity outsells everything else makes it OK I guess.

edit:

As I was mindlessly singing along to "Detroit, Rock City" in my car Friday

Ha!! you know, you are right. Those boy bands, just like the girl "bands" in the 80s (Debbie Gibson, and the red head girl and a few others) followed a formula. Nothing wrong with that!

Gene Simmons had a great quote about other bands, those bands that claim they are "embarrassed" by all the money they make. Simmons said "I want to help you guys out, for all the money you are embarrassed about, make a check out to Gene Simmons for that amount"

Playboy Playmate Wives can be expensive..

And there's "nothing wrong with that" if you only care about the money or the fame..But how can you feed your soul if you don't care about the music?

But that's why radio programming (and the music industry in general) sucks to people who really pay attention or care about music..They play to the masses in order to make the most money..Most people just want to hear what sounds familiar and they can hear the same songs several times a day or week without flinching.

It really is a matter of personal tastes. I personally love Queen, have about 20 of their songs on my iPad. With that being said one of my least fav Queen songs is Bohemien Rhapsedy. Every band I like has songs I don't like though. I don't like Lady Gaga's music but if you can't see she is super talented than you don't know music.

super talented at what?

I'll admit I've only heard parts of one song, but some things are so bad you don't want to take a chance at more awfulness you can't unhear...The really scarry thing is she wears makeup too much like a girl I dated for 6 years...And I don't even like trannys.

Lady's got talent. Performing two of her original compositions at NYU, before she adopted the pop icon personality and was just Stefani Germanotta.

The pop market is what it is, but it's always good to see talented artists making it big.

It really is a matter of personal tastes. I personally love Queen, have about 20 of their songs on my iPad. With that being said one of my least fav Queen songs is Bohemien Rhapsedy. Every band I like has songs I don't like though. I don't like Lady Gaga's music but if you can't see she is super talented than you don't know music.

super talented at what?

I'll admit I've only heard parts of one song, but some things are so bad you don't want to take a chance at more awfulness you can't unhear...The really scarry thing is she wears makeup too much like a girl I dated for 6 years...And I don't even like trannys.

Lady's got talent. Performing two of her original compositions at NYU, before she adopted the pop icon personality and was just Stefani Germanotta.

The pop market is what it is, but it's always good to see talented artists making it big.

That's my point, just because you don't like someones music doesn't automatically make them untalented. There are plenty of singers/bands out their that arn't real talented and have made a boat load of money doing their thing.

Some of you guys are real music snobs. :hmmph

• Fire 1

5. MERCHANDISING

This has made me wonder if we'd be "blessed" by the Justins of the music world without KISS,,

(Beiber and Timberlake)

Just because a majority of people have had their tastes in music dumbed down to the point to where mediocrity outsells everything else makes it OK I guess.

edit:

Ha!! you know, you are right. Those boy bands, just like the girl "bands" in the 80s (Debbie Gibson, and the red head girl and a few others) followed a formula. Nothing wrong with that!

Gene Simmons had a great quote about other bands, those bands that claim they are "embarrassed" by all the money they make. Simmons said "I want to help you guys out, for all the money you are embarrassed about, make a check out to Gene Simmons for that amount"

And there's "nothing wrong with that" if you only care about the money or the fame..But how can you feed your soul if you don't care about the music?

But that's why radio programming (and the music industry in general) sucks to people who really pay attention or care about music..They play to the masses in order to make the most money..Most people just want to hear what sounds familiar and they can hear the same songs several times a day or week without flinching.

I think that is the point, they (KISS) cared about being the biggest BAND about having the most fans and embracing their fans, they were not worried about writing a song that was going to make people think "Hmmm, maybe I should send food to some 3rd world country." Not everyone that plays music or writes songs is doing it to change the world.

super talented at what?

That's my point, just because you don't like someones music doesn't automatically make them untalented. There are plenty of singers/bands out their that arn't real talented and have made a boat load of money doing their thing.

I apologise..

I was actually hoping someone would post some of her "good stuff" and save me from having to weed through her "popular" stuff.

I s'pose I should try to be a more better person and try not to be a "music snob" because you never know who's feelings might get hurt..

Of course these people have talent..usually that's not enough.

I'm glad I can't persuade my young Son to not like Linkin Park..It would be boreing if he liked everything I liked and proves to my best friend that he's not liking my current three favourite groups just to be a "yes man".

I'll probably never understand "food snobs" or "foodies" but life would be lesser without them..I also doubt I'll ever be able to be a self respecting "music snob" until I learn to like classical music exclusively.

5. MERCHANDISING

(Beiber and Timberlake)

edit:

I think that is the point, they (KISS) cared about being the biggest BAND about having the most fans and embracing their fans, they were not worried about writing a song that was going to make people think "Hmmm, maybe I should send food to some 3rd world country." Not everyone that plays music or writes songs is doing it to change the world.

Sometimes I wish I'd kept playing..and I haven't ruled out learning another instrument as soon as I make the time.

I'll probably never understand why anyone would want fame and these "Who wants to be a Pop Star" or "American Idol" shows bewilder me..I'd much rather be a session drummer or guitarist..I really envy the people who have the talent to write guud music.

super talented at what?

I apologise..

I was actually hoping someone would post some of her "good stuff" and save me from having to weed through her "popular" stuff.

I s'pose I should try to be a more better person and try not to be a "music snob" because you never know who's feelings might get hurt..

Of course these people have talent..usually that's not enough.

I'm glad I can't persuade my young Son to not like Linkin Park..It would be boreing if he liked everything I liked and proves to my best friend that he's not liking my current three favourite groups just to be a "yes man".

I'll probably never understand "food snobs" or "foodies" but life would be lesser without them..I also doubt I'll ever be able to be a self respecting "music snob" until I learn to like classical music exclusively.

Not hurting my feelings. As I said before I am not a Lady Gaga fan. But, just because I don't like her music doesn't mean she doesn't have talent. Just because the masses happen to like something doesn't make it automatically bad either. It doesn't have to be produced by some indie rock lable to be good. You are a music snob becuase you think your judgement and taste in music is superior to someone that likes Lady Gaga or Kiss or whoever you see as inferior music. You are no different than a food snob, wine snob, beer snob or whatever snob.

Music is suppose to make you happy and if listening to Lady Gaga makes someone happy than great for them. Its entertainment, you don't have to get something meaningful out of music. Just like you don't have to get something meaningful out of a movie or film as a film snob would say. I liked Iron Man 3, no it won't win best picture, but I don't care. I like listening to Kiss every now and then, makes me think of my youth. Is it the critics choice of great music, no, but I don't care.

Oh, and the bolded statement above makes no sense.

• Fire 1