And isn't it rather odd that Sony has remained silent on these issues...it's almost as if they're afraid to admit they have a similar structure in place. :-|

Why would Sony come out with any news when E3 is just 3 days way :facepalm:

And the only reason Microsoft is coming out with any news is because they're trying to dig themselves out of the gigantic hole that they're already in

Xbox really sh#t the bed with this one. I love their consoles and am a big fan, but this online stuff is bullsh#t. I will always have the ability to check in online or whatever, but it is a gaming console. You game offline. Stop being stupid Microsoft. PS4 just hit a homerun with every service member who has been overseas or on a base with sh#t internet. Those guys game all the time in barracks over there, you think they have the capability to "check in"? Give me a break.

I must admit I really don't know what console I would get at the moment. Might just buy a new 360 and call it good.

Since it appears that the Sony trolls are sleeping on the job, or perhaps they don't want to report information contrary to their position, Microsoft came out with more details yesterday. Of note:

-The system must check in every 24 hours online or games don't work

-The Kinect can be turned off

-The XBox One supports used games, as long as the publisher approves it

-Microsoft will not charge a fee to clear used games (again, leaves that up to publishers).

-Up to 10 Family accounts can use one license, even on multiple machines (e.g. kid goes to college and has his own system, father and son could buy just one game, install on separate machines, enjoy.)

-Games can only be given once to someone outside of your 'family' accounts, based on whether or not the publisher allows it.

---

Frankly, the 24 hour check-in is bulls**t, and I fully expect this to change to a one-time online activation (a la Steam) down the road.

Otherwise, you can turn the Kinect off (good for the anti-Kinect folks who were butthurt), and the rest of this stuff (clearing games for used sale, publishers determining if games can be sold used, etc.) is all publisher driven, which is why Microsoft (smartly) is stepping back and putting the ball in the publishers court for this.

And isn't it rather odd that Sony has remained silent on these issues...it's almost as if they're afraid to admit they have a similar structure in place. :-|

---

On a somewhat related note, apparently Konami is the latest company to embrace PC gaming via Steam, as they're porting the prior Castlevania game to the PC, the new Castlevania game is PC-bound, and the new Metal Gear game is PC bound.

Looks like PC may end up being a legitimate third platform, especially if there's a competitively-priced Steam box on the horizon. Not too much of a stretch, considering the angst over Microsoft's (and likely Sony's) publisher-driven console policies.

The 24 hour lock out timer, and a recommended 1.5 broadband connection means there are some segments of gamers that will be skipping the XBone. Military members being a big group. The broadband speed is simply not an option for quite a chunk of the country. If you live in a top 100 population city you are probably fine. Live in a small town, good chance you are out of luck.

I would wait and see on how draconian MS is going to be on gifting, and 'family' It was already stated by a MS rep that gifting required someone to be on your friends list for at least 30 days.

Note that as MS is a publisher, they failed to mention what they plan on doing. Large speculation is an outright ban on used sales for the first 30 days of shelflife.

Look at the caveat for the Kinect. They say it wont send data 'without explicit permission' which could simply be the EULA or the system, or a game or software.

The PC is a valid platform, and has been for longer than consoles. Some of the Japanese companies are just very far behind in understanding that people in the West actually PC game things other than MMO's and Starcraft. And given the architecture(this is the reason why the next get is not backwards compatible) on the new consoles is essentially identical to the PC for the next get, ports will be easier than ever, and not making a PC version is just stupid. Especially when the profit margin for digital sales(and virtually all PC game sales are digital) is much better than selling discs in stores. The PC is my platform of choice anymore, my PS3 is for Blu-Rays and a few that are not available on PC.

The only exclusive games that I really liked for XBoxOne were Ryse: Son of Rome (gameplay reminds me of God of War) and Titanfall.

The other games that look badass that I'm interested in but are coming to both XBox and PS4 are Metal Gear Solid V and Battlefield 4 (BF4) but BF4 is my main game I'm looking forward to.

Just found out about 10 minutes ago that Sony's conference isn't till 7:30 central time tonight....damn it I could've taken a nap but now I don't have time before going to work. Will have to check twitter for updates at my 9:00 dinner break :(

XBoxOne is listed for $499.......oofta

Has the PS4 price come out yet?

Not yet. Their presentation is tonight during prime time.

It wouldn't surprise me if their price was lower. But then again, Sony has more often than not shot itself in the foot when the opportunity was there.

True. And Sony has a track record of redonkulous launch pricing for consoles...see, PS3, PS2, PSX, Vita, PSP...

Frankly, I wouldn't be shocked to see a $499 price point and for Sony to quietly mention that they, too, have similar always-on and used game DRM requirements.

On a positive note, Forza 5 looked incredible, Micecrack will be a much bigger experience on the One than on the 360, the new Titanfall game looks incredible, and there's a new Killer Instinct game. All XBox One console exclusive, which is nice.